Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
May 9, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #887 of 1,504
I only used them for like 30 minutes and did a quick comparison to the D8k Pro LE and Stealth. I definitely prefer Coffee Bean, but that might change with Mitch's filters, just asked for a demo. Also too early to tell for sure, but I was surprised by the difference the Star-8 cable made. I found them a bit underwhelming initially with the stock one. While the Elites and D8k Pro Le are leaving soon (Stealth makes keeping them pointless for me), It definitely looks like the Ca-1a are sticking around.
Star-8 is a must for the CA-1A.
Both Star-8 and Mitch filters are a must for CA1a. I’m sure it will sound amazing on HM1 👍🏼

May 9, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #889 of 1,504
May 9, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #890 of 1,504
I only used them for like 30 minutes and did a quick comparison to the D8k Pro LE and Stealth. I definitely prefer Coffee Bean, but that might change with Mitch's filters, just asked for a demo. Also too early to tell for sure, but I was surprised by the difference the Star-8 cable made. I found them a bit underwhelming initially with the stock one. While the Elites and D8k Pro Le are leaving soon (Stealth makes keeping them pointless for me), It definitely looks like the Ca-1a are sticking around.
I don't see how stealth resembles d8kproLE in any way I could never see it as a replacement unless you're after a different sound entirely.

May 9, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #891 of 1,504
I don't see how stealth resembles d8kproLE in any way I could never see it as a replacement unless you're after a different sound entirely.
It doesn't, nor the Elite, but I find it so much better in technicalities that the slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better dynamics on the LE are just eclipsed by the better resolution and clarity of the Stealth.
For the record, I like the D8k Pro Le more than anything i've heard to date (sans the CA-1a, which I'm still getting accustomed to). I would like a bit more bass out of them, and I find the mids a slight bit too recessed for my liking, but I like it's tonality out of the box more than the CA-1A for example. I also have a problem with its bass clipping even at 75 Db on some tracks. Not a big issue, since I usually listen at around 65, but enough that I would worry about using HM1 to bass boost it. I've had the D8k Pro Le for close to 2 months now (delay in returning it) and I can only listen to it until I put on the Stealth. After that it's no ty.
Stealth wins big for me on clarity during busy tracks, tonality, and microdetail. I just find a huge gap between it and everything else (CA-1A tbd, but it seems to be closest in raw technical performance, and hopefully the filters will fix the tonality).

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #892 of 1,504
It doesn't, nor the Elite, but I find it so much better in technicalities that the slightly bigger soundstage and slightly better dynamics on the LE are just eclipsed by the better resolution and clarity of the Stealth.
For the record, I like the D8k Pro Le more than anything i've heard to date (sans the CA-1a, which I'm still getting accustomed to). I would like a bit more bass out of them, and I find the mids a slight bit too recessed for my liking, but I like it's tonality out of the box more than the CA-1A for example. I also have a problem with it's bass clipping even at 75 Db on some tracks. Not a big issue, since I usually listen at around 65, but enough that I would worry about using HM1 to bass boost it. I've had the D8k Pro Le for close to 2 months now (delay in returning it) and I can only listen to it until I put on the Stealth. After that it's no ty.
Stealth wins big for me on clarity during busy tracks, tonality, and microdetail. I just find a huge gap between it and everything else (CA-1A tbd, but it seems to be closest in raw technical performance, and hopefully the filters will fix the tonality).
I never heard the Stealth so can't compare but are you sure your LE isn't faulty? It shouldn't clip.
If it has a bigger stage than any headphone that means those other cans are tiny lol
Dynamics I heard wasn't DCA's strong suit so perhaps. I don't consider the LE super dynamic (compared to Utopia, Susvara that I recently used a lot at least).
It's definitely not the most detailed for resolution and clarity if that's what you prioritize (which is absolutely fine), most important is you end up finding what you like. Can't help but wonder though if that's what you're looking for - did you consider estats?

May 9, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #893 of 1,504
For the record, I like the D8k Pro Le more than anything i've heard to date (sans the CA-1a, which I'm still getting accustomed to). I would like a bit more bass out of them, and I find the mids a slight bit too recessed for my liking, but I like it's tonality out of the box more than the CA-1A for example. I also have a problem with it's bass clipping even at 75 Db on some tracks. Not a big issue, since I usually listen at around 65, but enough that I would worry about using HM1 to bass boost it. I've had the D8k Pro Le for close to 2 months now (delay in returning it) and I can only listen to it until I put on the Stealth. After that it's no ty.
Hmm LE shouldn't be clipping at 75db.... The highest I've recorded clipping at is 85ish

May 9, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #894 of 1,504
I never heard the Stealth so can't compare but are you sure your LE isn't faulty? It shouldn't clip.
It is (a friend measured it), this is the reason I'm sending it back. I'd be on my third pair and it's honestly too much to deal with.
But I had another pair for 1 month before getting this one (demo pair, should not have been sold, long story), and at the volume I listen at (pretty low usually) there's not much difference, and I can't say I can notice the much higher distortion in the left channel when it doesn't clip.
Hmm LE shouldn't be clipping at 75db.... The highest I've recorded clipping at is 85ish
Yeah at 85 It clips on most bass heavy stuff, but i've found rare instances that clip way below. Electronic, which I don't listen to, but still...
Dynamics I heard wasn't DCA's strong suit so perhaps
That's what kept me from trying it, but It's vastly exaggerated. I find it at least on par with Susvara (which I am not a fan of).
Can't help but wonder though if that's what you're looking for - did you consider estats?
I did consider an X9000 and Mjolnir CRBN, but after multiple people I know ditched them for planars because of them sounding too bright, not having enough bass weight, etc...i don't think they are for me. From all i've read they lean more into the things I don't like about Susvara. That "Ethereal" quality (no note weight), and a bright sound.
Hail Mary was 1266, but since the mids are even more recessed than D8k Pro LE, and comfort is... debatable, that buries it for me. Based on reports that CA-1A can get close to that bass and close in speed to e-stats piqued my interest. Have yet to hear an E-stat though.

May 13, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #897 of 1,504
He’s not the only one. I’d pay a premium too.

May 13, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #898 of 1,504
He’s not the only one. I’d pay a premium too.
Haha I kind of feel like I would be like you folks if I didn’t get the WA23 Luna. That was my antidote and I’m being very reasonable and especially not greedy because I’m still getting the HM1, but now the inevitable delays don’t matter and all my needs are being met to a degree I never thought possible. Here’s the ultimate life lesson. The key to patience is distraction!

May 13, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #899 of 1,504
I'm actually less excited waiting for mine since I got the Raal Ca-1A (With Star8 and Mitch's filters) and they blow away my entire stable using the TI-1B interface. I find Stealth>D8k Pro LE>Elites, but this is on another level. I'm not sure how well the HM1's performance (and adjustments) will translate through the interface, or if it even makes sense to keep it vs the Oor. @GoldenOne , could you shed some light here?

May 13, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #900 of 1,504
I'm actually less excited waiting for mine since I got the Raal Ca-1A (With Star8 and Mitch's filters) and they blow away my entire stable using the TI-1B interface. I find Stealth>D8k Pro LE>Elites, but this is on another level. I'm not sure how well the HM1's performance (and adjustments) will translate through the interface, or if it even makes sense to keep it vs the Oor. @GoldenOne , could you shed some light here?
This is good to hear. Do you mind sharing how much the filters and Star8 set you back? Additionally, how do the Raals compare to the Stealth without the additions? I might get a pair but may need to decide if I’m getting the Ca1a or it’s older sibling.

I will say though, Stealth on the HM1 is really special! It’s another level above what is possible with the Ferrum Stack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back