Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #618 of 1,493
The newer version has a full variable volume pre out that can be used either as subwoofer out or preamp.
I would know considering it's driving my Genelec desktop monitors.
Oh that’s nice. When did they implement that feature?

Think I’ve had mine for a little under a year.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #620 of 1,493
Oh that’s nice. When did they implement that feature?

Think I’ve had mine for a little under a year.
Not sure exactly.
You can see it here at 5:34

And the website states the following close to the top:
"Note: All current production Z10e units include a pair of stereo subwoofer outputs, not shown in the photos above."

Mine has it too.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #621 of 1,493
Not sure exactly.
You can see it here at 5:34

And the website states the following close to the top:
"Note: All current production Z10e units include a pair of stereo subwoofer outputs, not shown in the photos above."

Mine has it too.

Interesting. Mine also has the Sub Out but I didn’t realize it functions as a preout.

Kinda weird they don’t mention it in the manual at all.

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #622 of 1,493
Interesting. Mine also has the Sub Out but I didn’t realize it functions as a preout.

Kinda weird they don’t mention it in the manual at all.

A friend of mine happened to ask about the preamp in the Z10 and got a response from LTA.

Basically a nice to have but doesn't use the same topology as the headphone outs. I'll give it a try this evening but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't sound as good. The standard headphone outputs on the Z10e don't sound quite as good as the estat output. So guessing it's even more of a disadvantage for the preamp.

LTA Preamp.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #623 of 1,493
A friend of mine happened to ask about the preamp in the Z10 and got a response from LTA.

Basically a nice to have but doesn't use the same topology as the headphone outs. I'll give it a try this evening but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't sound as good as the standard headphone outputs on the Z10e don't sound quite as good as the estat output. So guessing it's even more of a disadvantage for the preamp.

LTA Preamp.jpg
Good to know. Taking this back to the topic - if you want to use preamps in your system, use the Zahl lol
That's my plan when it arrives, center of everything in the system.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #624 of 1,493
Good to know. Taking this back to the topic - if you want to use preamps in your system, use the Zahl lol
That's my plan when it arrives, center of everything in the system.
Can confirm that the HM-1 preamping into the Z10e is an absolutely fantastic pairing.

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #625 of 1,493
Ordered mid Sep 2022, well knowing it will take a while to get the unit and am OK with that and enjoying the anticipation and sharing from those lucky few ones who have one already.
Ha, same here on all accounts. Mid Sep as well, I just checked with Chris and there were some supply chain issues indeed. Earliest estimate is now end of May, which I'm sure will turn into June or July. At least it gives my wallet some time to recover after the D8000 Pro Le.

Feb 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #626 of 1,493
Ha, same here on all accounts. Mid Sep as well, I just checked with Chris and there were some supply chain issues indeed. Earliest estimate is now end of May, which I'm sure will turn into June or July. At least it gives my wallet some time to recover after the D8000 Pro Le.
I don't like you right now and it's not your fault !! Aawwww

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #629 of 1,493
Great review on the HM1!

Have you ever auditioned the Susvaras on the EF1000? I'd love to know how the two compare.
I wasn't really a fan of the EF1000 unfortunately

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #630 of 1,493
Are there any internal pics of the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back