Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #286 of 1,519
I'll get my Bliss next week, and I've pre-ordered the HM1 in September (I didn't know about the Bliss before), this choice is critical for me and I'll only be able to keep one of them.
Look forward to more people sharing the comparison between the two, so far it seems that both can drive most headphones and sound relatively neutral.

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #287 of 1,519
I think some may be overestimating the HM1 signal processing and it's utility. It is true that the EQ and width controls are very transparent on par with high quality studio processing. On the other hand, they are quite subtle, and only have a few fixed settings.

What they do well is correct for treble and bass and width issues in your system. These are for tuning, not sculpting, IMO. It is useful to have these tools because the amp reveals any shortcomings with your source. But I think some expect these to be like a drastic parametric EQ, or that the stereo effect will inherently make everything better.

Here is my use case: The HM1 is a very transparent amp, and previously I chose cabling based on my Oor which is a bit smoothed off in the treble. Now I find that my silver cable is a bit bright with the HM1, so I turn down the treble one notch. I also find that my Susvara is not as wide as the Diana TC or Meze Empyrean, so I increase the width one notch.

I've cranked the bass to maximum and it does not turn my Suvara into a 1266. But the control of the drivers across all frequencies does make the Susvara as much like "ear speakers" as I have heard.

That said, where it is possible to not use any processing, you do get a slightly better sound. The best and least fatiguing sound is always the one you need to process least, even with high quality tools like this.These are more for subtly balancing your system than for drastic corrections for your headphones. The coolest effect is the width control, but it isn't always best to have it on just because you can.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #288 of 1,519
I think some may be overestimating the HM1 signal processing and it's utility. It is true that the EQ and width controls are very transparent on par with high quality studio processing. On the other hand, they are quite subtle, and only have a few fixed settings.

What they do well is correct for treble and bass and width issues in your system. These are for tuning, not sculpting, IMO. It is useful to have these tools because the amp reveals any shortcomings with your source. But I think some expect these to be like a drastic parametric EQ, or that the stereo effect will inherently make everything better.

Here is my use case: The HM1 is a very transparent amp, and previously I chose cabling based on my Oor which is a bit smoothed off in the treble. Now I find that my silver cable is a bit bright with the HM1, so I turn down the treble one notch. I also find that my Susvara is not as wide as the Diana TC or Meze Empyrean, so I increase the width one notch.

I've cranked the bass to maximum and it does not turn my Suvara into a 1266. But the control of the drivers across all frequencies does make the Susvara as much like "ear speakers" as I have heard.

That said, where it is possible to not use any processing, you do get a slightly better sound. The best and least fatiguing sound is always the one you need to process least, even with high quality tools like this.These are more for subtly balancing your system than for drastic corrections for your headphones. The coolest effect is the width control, but it isn't always best to have it on just because you can.
I am actually only interested in its sound quality performance and preamp capabilities and don't think I'd use much of the extra features. That's also one of the reasons I don't EQ anything anymore, I want it easy and fitting with what I like. I spend all this time energy and money to find that right combination for me.
I'm leaning towards the Bliss or neither of them at the moment but still thinking about it. The HM1 availability and price increase definitely play a factor in rushing my decision which I kind of hate, but I don't expect these to get to the used market or become more widely available so what can one do.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #289 of 1,519
I mean, I'd think at least one owner would want to pop the hood and see what's inside right?
We tried to back at Canjam SoCal, the issue is that you can't just take the top off. You actually have to remove the faceplates. Given the complexity and number of components attached to each and that we don't know what it's like inside, there's every possibility that if we took the wrong one off we might not be able to get it back on again, so we abandoned the attempt.

Michael said he'd send some photos of the internals soon so we should be able to get a peek shortly

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #290 of 1,519
I mean, I'd think at least one owner would want to pop the hood and see what's inside right?
It looks more involved than I am willing to risk, especially as I don't feel the need to void my warranty on the amp for internet points.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #291 of 1,519
It looks more involved than I am willing to risk, especially as I don't feel the need to void my warranty on the amp for internet points.
Just as well. I expect you’d find the internals of a Topping, a pack of Skittles and a card signed by Michael that says “gotcha”.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #292 of 1,519
Michael said he will share some internal photos soon
We did actually have a quick go at opening @Danmellinger 's unit in SoCal, but because of the fact that at least one of the faceplates must be removed to do so (the top won't come off on its own), and the fact that we had no idea how it was assembled internally, there's every chance that by removing the wrong faceplate or just messing something up we wouldn't be able to get it back together again so we abandoned the attempt.

I'm very curious to see inside myself. Though given the complexity of his other products, I think anyone expecting some simple internals might be quite surprised

1671379567821.png

1671379597903.png

The above is his 'EQ1' module for example. And that's just EQ let alone the M/S processing and the amplifier/mixing itself

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #293 of 1,519
This thread has gone quiet. Does anyone have anymore comments to post or are we all busy Christmas shopping and wrapping gifts?
Surely there’s much more to say about this high status amp.

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #294 of 1,519
Between the limited number of owners (said as one of them), the holidays (sod the shopping/wrapping ... just enjoying friends and family), and just wanting to lose myself in the music ... I'm not surprised.

It remains the best, most enjoyable, solid-state amp I've had the pleasure to listen to/with ... probably be mid-January before I have time to say much more.

Dec 23, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #295 of 1,519
I was debating about buying this Zähl amp. It would have been the perfect solution for me if it had a remote (wired or wireless) for volume control. The manual states a wired remote in the future but only for switching inputs A/B. I am not a fan of getting up to adjust the volume for every few tracks. Still very tempting.

Also, thank you to everyone who provided their unbiased feedback on this amp. It was very helpful for my research.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #296 of 1,519
For anyone who would like to see the official Zahl HM-1 Brochure I obtained from CanJam London 2022 I attach to this post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221224_142159.jpg
    20221224_142159.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221224_142205.jpg
    20221224_142205.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221224_142218.jpg
    20221224_142218.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221224_142231.jpg
    20221224_142231.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221224_142238.jpg
    20221224_142238.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #297 of 1,519
Between the limited number of owners (said as one of them), the holidays (sod the shopping/wrapping ... just enjoying friends and family), and just wanting to lose myself in the music ... I'm not surprised.

It remains the best, most enjoyable, solid-state amp I've had the pleasure to listen to/with ... probably be mid-January before I have time to say much more.
Yeah, look forward to hearing more from you… and for the delivery of my HM1 in Q1.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #299 of 1,519
Probably a long time coming, but I’d love to hear thoughts of this and it’s comparison to the enlenum 23r.

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #300 of 1,519
That's nice, but it seems to be the same info as the official website.
Haven't looked at the website. Not surprised its the same but thought it offers people access to the brochure if they were curious if there was one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back