YULONG's new U18 USB 24/192 Async digital Interface
Oct 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #46 of 169
[size=10pt]I want to comment that the build quality on the U18 is first rate. It is definitly on par with Yulong's other top line products such as the A18 and D18 and is quite at home sitting next to those units.[/size]

[size=10pt]I can comfortably say that the sound quality is slightly better through the U18 when using the external power supply. Not a "night and day" improvement but a noticeably quieter background is apparent. I suspect many USB converters would benefit being removed from the noisy power environment of a computer but not all offer the option.[/size]

[size=10pt]Though not a specific benefit of the U18 alone, I also appreciate having access to native 88.2khz and 192khz bitrates and not having to resample them.[/size]

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #48 of 169
If you are ordering from Grant Fidelity Rachel will be able to answer that question for you.  When they ordered mine for me there was a Chinese holiday and a local holiday slowing things down and it took about 7 days to arrive in Calgary. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #52 of 169
Quote:
What are the sonic differences between the u18 and your opera unit. Would you say it is better just at playing 16

[size=10pt]I need to qualify that I do not have the "Golden Ears" that some members seem to have, enabling them to hear something as subtle as butterfly wings from 100 miles. :)  I feel more comfortable commenting on functionality.  That being said, I am able to hear well enough, IMHO, to distinguish good from bad at least.[/size]

[size=10pt]In my opinion the Consonance is a great converter and nobody should let its price fool them.  I was quite pleased with its performance.  My main reason for changing to the U18 was to have access to my 192khz files to see how they sound through my DACs.[/size]

[size=10pt]When I installed the U18 in my 2 channel system (where the Consonance converter lives) I did not notice much, if any, difference.  I thought I noticed a quieter background.  This might have more to do with the effects of the external power supply than anything else.  The Consonance USB converter is a very good unit.  So is the U18.  My exposure to the change was limited as I was quite busy last time I was home.  After more time doing some A/B I will report my findings.  In fairness I will use only 24/96 files when comparing both units.[/size]

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #53 of 169
Based on numerous comments I was under the impression that a PC/MAC connected to a good USB converter sounded better than the SB Touch into any given DAC. I was also under the impression that the Touch connected to a good Linux compatible USB converter sounded better than the Touch's S/PDIF output directly into a DAC.

I was considering connecting my Touch to a V-Link 192 + AQVOX power supply to improve the sound. But now you've got me wondering...the Touch is more user friendly than a PC/USB converter setup so if there's nothing to be gained soundwise what's the point?

The V192 does not have the option of connecting an outboard PSU, it's USB-powered only.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #54 of 169
Purring away making music!  I have had it running 12 hrs a day for about 7 days now.  This my "away from home" rig.  The A100 amp is new as well and is breaking in with the U18.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #56 of 169
Quote:
Cool - so it passed all test so far.  What is your preferred output of the U18?

[size=10pt]Yes, so far there have been no playback issues. I use the AES/EBU output from the U18 to the D100 and to my other DACs for that matter. I will be picking up another U18 to permanently live in my 2 channel setup so I don't have to switch out. I have not done enough A/B with the other output options to honestly say the AES/EBU is my "preferred" method but it seems to be the preferred method of many when given the option so I went with it.  [/size][size=10pt]I play all files at their native Bitrate and Bit Depth. [/size]

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #57 of 169
I wonder - is this converter on par with V-Link V-192? Anybody have both? Yulong looks better because of opportunity to connect external power, but V-Link is XMOS unit after all...

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #58 of 169
Quote:
I wonder - is this converter on par with V-Link V-192? Anybody have both? Yulong looks better because of opportunity to connect external power, but V-Link is XMOS unit after all...

That's what I was afraid of - issues with the drivers opposed to the XMOS or USB32.  So far no issues have been reported.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #59 of 169
Quote:

That's what I was afraid of - issues with the drivers opposed to the XMOS or USB32.  So far no issues have been reported.

No, i didn't mean driver issues (I just hope I'm lucky enough
wink_face.gif
), I meant pure performance of them. V-Link doesn't require a driver at all, as I know.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #60 of 169
The V192 comes with a Windows driver disk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back