Yulong's new DA8
Jun 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #211 of 544
quote from Dragons on Erji.net

First Direct Push, like taste can be equipped with A18, etc. We want to be able to balance all of A28, are suit amp

size]

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1450134&fpage=1&toread=&page=8

Someone with a HD650 was asking what amp to be paired with the DA8, and Yulong's answer was:

'First try the integrated headamp, those who like colored/warm sound can pair with A18, those who like fully balanced can wait for A28'

And yes the A28 is fully balanced, he has confirmed that when he first mentioned A28 couple months back.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #212 of 544
A few info about the A28 (based on chats in erji.net):

• Retail price of A28 will be RMB3000 in China (DA8 sells for RMB6600 in China);
  • A28 will be OpAmp based, as opposed to the discrete component based A18 or A8, which also accounts for the much lower price;
  • In balanced mode, it'll have bigger sound stage than A18;
  • It'll be about the same style of the built-in headamp of DA8, but with better measurement/specification and more driving power;

Just realized I missed the character '多' when Yulong says '三千多,配DA8会是很超值很好的选择。', so the price is not RMB3000, but RMB3X00 instead. Sorry guys :p

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #213 of 544
Quote:
Just realized I missed the character '多' when Yulong says '三千多,配DA8会是很超值很好的选择。', so the price is not RMB3000, but RMB3X00 instead. Sorry guys
tongue.gif

Thanks for the correction. So if we assume the highest at 3900, that translates to roughly $640 USD, which will probably be higher due to import costs, so maybe $700-800? Still cheaper than A18 by a small amount. I'd be curious to hear how the A28 stacks up to the A18. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #214 of 544
Quote:

As I mentioned earlier; the DA8 has a very visceral and exciting/emotionally engaging sound to me.  Difficult to make any early conclusions on.  Definitely a unique sound.

I might have degraded my ability to make a valuable comparative judgement of this DAC due to my recent (3 weeks) change from the LCD 2.3 to the LCD 3.  Even though it has been 3 weeks, the LCD 3 is different enough from the LCD2.3 (despite what I was expecting) that I might not have become accustomed to it to the extent that I can subtract the headphone change from my impressions of the DA8 as compared to the Hilo (my current flagship).  That being said, the DA8 seems very “exciting” and “invigorating” to listen to.  It definitely puts a smile on my face.

I feel the DA8 does an extraordinary job on the DSD files.  It also kicks ass with DXD files.  Please "do" try this material with the DA8 if you get the chance.  In this context (DSD) it might even rival the Hilo (on DSD 64, Hilo does not do DSD 128 or DXD).  So far I have set my DA8 only to “sharp” filter mode and “bypass” on jitter eliminator.  No doubt different settings will influence the sound of the DA8.  There are enough options to play with that it could take a while to settle down with an "final" opinion on the DA8.  Also, I have not even tried the HP out.  I doubt I will for a while as this capability is of no concern to me.

Quick Hilo comparison: When I listen to the Hilo I hear nothing.  It makes me forget I have a DAC.  It seems to have no specific "character" type of  influence on the sound and at the same time is relaxing and soothing to listen to while oozing detail, texture any layers of sound.  What exactly these two DACs do with those details is where they diverge.  The Hilo, IMHO, just plays them as they were laid down.  The DA8 makes you get excited about them.  I hope this makes some sort of sense. I can’t yet say which is better.

The DA8 is a supercar.  No doubt I am not putting this into words properly.  Take no serious impressions away from my words here.  These are still early impressions. 

The Hilo sounds perfect in my 2 channel system.  The synergy of the Hilo in my tube/SS class A, bi amped 2 channel system is a match made in heaven (not that I have been there).  It will be a while yet before I can try the DA8 in my 2 channel set up.  Based on initial impressions, and speculating a bit I guess, if I were to play music for friends (non audiophile) with the intent to impress, the DA8 would be my DAC of choice.  If I had a seasoned audiophile over, I would probably need to play both DACs to show off my both my HP or 2 channel system.  Do you want to arrive at destination via  Ferrari or a Royals Royce?  Two distinct rides, neither of which is likely to disappoint. IMHO, only personal preference could decide the winner.

I lack the exposure to enough DACs to give any sort of broad perspective on the DA8.  So far though, be sure you are wearing a seat belt before you take the DA8 for a drive.

Thanks for the continued impressions mrcasey. This dac sounds impressive and the fact that it's rivaling much more expensive foes and has native DSD ticks all the boxes. When I saw tamaudio's offering $200 off, I had to bite... DA8 here we come. If anyone else is interested, Tam Audio's 4th anniversary coupons are on their blog (good until June 30). I've dealt with them before - smooth transaction and responsive to emails. Most head-fiers bought their M-stage amps from them so there's lots of info in the forums.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #215 of 544
I think you will love the DA8. If you have no Analogue to Digital needs (which I do) I see no great need to go for the Hilo over the Da8. The Hilo does not.do DSD 128 or DXD also. You made a great choice.

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #216 of 544
Quote:

Thanks for the continued impressions mrcasey. This dac sounds impressive and the fact that it's rivaling much more expensive foes and has native DSD ticks all the boxes. When I saw tamaudio's offering $200 off, I had to bite... DA8 here we come. If anyone else is interested, Tam Audio's 4th anniversary coupons are on their blog (good until June 30). I've dealt with them before - smooth transaction and responsive to emails. Most head-fiers bought their M-stage amps from them so there's lots of info in the forums.

The Hilo is also an A/D besides just a D/A so to say that the DA8 rivals a much more expensive Hilo is not fair in my opinion.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #217 of 544
Different animals for sure. Agreed. In fact, if I had.to choose, I would.take the Hilo over the DA8 for SQ reasons alone on the file formats that they both play. But we are not.talking night and day differences here. Much less IMHO then the surprising difference I noted when I switched from the LCD 2 to the LCD 3. Or the difference between my B&W and VMPS speakers when I changed. Headphone and speaker differeces are.much more aparent.than DAC changes to my ears. Either DAC, or.many of.the other wothwhile contenders is a winner.

Excuse typos, poor.punctuation and grammer. Texting on phone at the end.of.a long day of.drag racing.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #218 of 544
Oh my goodness... I am pretty blown away by the DA8 - including the headphone amp. I have some pretty hi-end amps and a fully balanced tube amp and I am stuck on my only single ended can (he400) and the the headphone out of DA8. Amazing synergy. I will definitely try the unit as balanced dac mode out to balanced amps soon but so far I'm stocked. The sound stage is the biggest improvement from the D18. HUGE sound stage, the headphones simply disappear. Quite a unique experience. Still very musical but more neutral than the d18 for sure.
Looking forward to trying the DSD files!

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #219 of 544
Quote:
Oh my goodness... I am pretty blown away by the DA8 - including the headphone amp. I have some pretty hi-end amps and a fully balanced tube amp and I am stuck on my only single ended can (he400) and the the headphone out of DA8. Amazing synergy. I will definitely try the unit as balanced dac mode out to balanced amps soon but so far I'm stocked. The sound stage is the biggest improvement from the D18. HUGE sound stage, the headphones simply disappear. Quite a unique experience. Still very musical but more neutral than the d18 for sure.
Looking forward to trying the DSD files!

I've been using the same combo of DA8 and HE-400 and I completely agree - it's killer! HE-500 is good too, but for some reason the HE-400 has a real synergy thing going on with the built in amp. I still need to try the rear XLR connections to drive headphones directly, and see if HE-500 responds well to that or not. 

Also agree on soundstage - this thing is among the best DACs I've ever experienced when it comes to that aspect. It's just unbelievably good. I really notice it even more when I throw it in a speaker based system. Wow. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #222 of 544
Quote:
DA8 > X-Sabre? 
smile.gif

You really want to know which one to buy, don't you? So far I'd say the DA8 is possibly better in some ways, but not sure yet. X-Sabre is really quite good on its own though. 

Quote:
Sounds so promising :) . Have any compared it to the antelope zodiac plus? And looking forward to the impressions with the he-500 :-D

Sorry, haven't heard the Zodiac gear often enough to know how it compares. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #223 of 544
Quote:
You really want to know which one to buy, don't you? So far I'd say the DA8 is possibly better in some ways, but not sure yet. X-Sabre is really quite good on its own though. 

Ok, I'll wait for the Armageddon  
wink_face.gif

Now we know the price of Yulong in Europe: 1200,00€ (about X-Sabre not yet...)

Edit: the X-Sabre is priced (french online shop): 899,00€

Being interested in using it as a "pure DAC" I wonder if it's worth the 300€ more

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #224 of 544
There is one point with DA8 which makes me worry.
From it's specifications - Power Consumption: <30W.

For a comparison - Anedio D2 Power Consumption 7W, Matrix X-sabre Power consumption:<10W.

Currently I have an Audio-GD NFB10 with a power consumption of 17W and Stax SRM-600 with a power consumption of 52W. The Stax gets really hot when powered on (I keep it turned on only when listening), the NFB10 is quite hot too (I keep it turned on all the time for convenience reasons and it's standing on a spot with limited ventilation – that's where the DA8 will stand on the place of NFB10).
Will the DA8 be really much hotter than my NFB10? Does it get much-much hotter than Anedio D2 or Matrix X-sabre? As hot as Stax tube amps?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #225 of 544
I've only checked the sides because I have another component stacked on top. But judging from the sides, DA8 doesn't get blazing hot. I assume the power consumption is related to the Class A operation of the headphone section, which doesn't apply to other DACs. I wonder if it is less when the amp section is disabled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back