Yulong's new DA8
Jun 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #242 of 544
Quote:

Thanks for the continued impressions mrcasey. This dac sounds impressive and the fact that it's rivaling much more expensive foes and has native DSD ticks all the boxes. When I saw tamaudio's offering $200 off, I had to bite... DA8 here we come. If anyone else is interested, Tam Audio's 4th anniversary coupons are on their blog (good until June 30). I've dealt with them before - smooth transaction and responsive to emails. Most head-fiers bought their M-stage amps from them so there's lots of info in the forums.

Warning: Coupon is either invalid, expired or reached it's usage limit!

frown.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #244 of 544
Quote:
Had the same problem at first... you need to create an account and be logged in, and then the coupon will work.

That worked. Thanks!!

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #245 of 544
So I spent some more time with the DA8 yesterday, and have a few more observations.

*The headphone amp is just great. Was using LCD-2 and HD800, and it sounded as good as many stand along amps in the $400-700 range. Definitely "good enough" for a lot of users where it could be their only amp, and great for bringing the option of quality headphone listening to people who would normally run the DA8 in a speaker rig.

*Jitter reduction on/off does make a difference. So far I like it better when turned off, but I've been using really low jitter transports so perhaps that's why.

*The filter (slow or fast) makes a smaller difference than the jitter reduction. You might notice it but it's definitely not night and day.

*The option to go pure DAC with fixed outputs is very welcome. And the push button activation is quite intuitive. 

*The DA8 is significantly better than the D18. Which is impressive. I tried both back to back on my Stax rig, and the D18 sounds great..... until you switch to the DA8. It reminds me of switching from the LCD-2 to the Stax Omega 2 - all sounds great and you don't think it could possibly be better. Then you switch and it really is better. 

*Still haven't had a chance to try DSD. Dang. Laptop was having issues so it took up the time I intended to use for that. Will try again. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #248 of 544
I am very curious where exactly is DA8s DAC section placed amongst its competition, especially newest stuff like X-Sabre, Tobby, DAC-100 etc. My Svetlana 2 should be finished in a week or so and now it's time to finally make my mind on DAC (that's why I am not interested in DA8 in any other regard, just as pure DAC. No disrespect to its internal headamp but I don't think it can keep it up with Svetlana 2). For a while I thought I could settle down with X-Sabre, but DA8s coming really shook my decision on that and now I am buried in reviews, impressions and comparisons again :)

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #249 of 544
Quote:
Nice project... what about warmth wise. Way more neutral. A touch more. About the same? Ill be using single ended out to speakers and the head amp of course... to my HD598.

It's interesting.... I'd call it similarly warm overall, but yet it comes off as more detailed due to not having the slight downward tilt on the top end like D18 does. In a way it's a departure from the D18 sound, but it's still got some family resemblance. 

I'm also curious to hear the Audio GD Ref 7.1 comparison because I've heard descriptions of the Master 8 that make it seem similar to the DA8. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #250 of 544
Some very brief comparisons between DA8 and D100 MK1:
Soundstage wise, DA8 is significantly better than D100. Because of bigger soundstage, DA8 has better layering and is more capable of identifying the locations of each instrument.
Smoothness: DA8 sounds much smoother compared to D100, which results in a more analog sounding of DA8.
Lows: DA8 is more controlled, but D100 is also a good performer. DA8 is also slightly more punchier. 
Mids: Compared to DA8, D100 is more recessed and has less clarity (how to define this?).
Highs: DA8's doesn't extend to what I've expected to be, but I'm not saying DA8 doesn't has a good high extension.
Overall, DA8 makes my D100 MK1 feels like a flat and harsh sounding DAC :frowning2:...
But if you just listen to D100 MK1, it definitly does a good job in that price range.

Thanks,

Robin

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #251 of 544
Quote:
Some very brief comparisons between DA8 and D100:
Soundstage wise, DA8 is significantly better than D100. Because of bigger soundstage, DA8 has better layering and is more capable of identifying the locations of each instrument.
Smoothness: DA8 sounds much smoother compared to D100, which results in a more analog sounding of DA8.
Lows: DA8 is more controlled, but D100 is also a good performer. DA8 is also slightly more punchier. 
Mids: Compared to DA8, D100 is more recessed and has less clarity (how to define this?).
Highs: DA8's doesn't extend to what I've expected to be, but I'm not saying DA8 doesn't has a good high extension.
Overall, DA8 makes my D100 feels like a flat and harsh sounding DAC :frowning2:...
But if you just listen to D100, it definitly does a good job in that price range.

Thanks,

Robin

Good impressions. Can you clarify - is that D100 mkII or original model?

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #253 of 544
Quote:
It is D100 MK1.  I've already clarified in the original post. Thanks!

Thanks, I can see how the DA8 might sound less extended compared to the original D100. That whole device is tilted a little towards the top end so comparisons can be somewhat difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back