Yulong DAC
Dec 27, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #18 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the problem with a lot of the DACs coming out of China these days. One look at the PCB and you get the instant feeling that you have seen it before under a different brand name. It's like many other products coming from China, where factories copy each other, rather than innovate. Where has sound quality gone heh?

At least one good thing is that if it is in the Zhaolu etc type league, then the cheaper TC-7510 is still the class leader in terms of audio performance capability, and the one all these Chinese clones got to match up to price and performance wise.

So you actually tested all those Chinese clones? As long as you don't test them, you can't make such arrogant claims.
A clone isn't necessarily worse than the original. On the contrary, the definition of a clone is that it's the same.

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least one good thing is that if it is in the Zhaolu etc type league, then the cheaper TC-7510 is still the class leader in terms of audio performance capability, and the one all these Chinese clones got to match up to price and performance wise.

Give it a break mate, must you mention your 7510 in every DAC thread? (even those completely unrelated to it)

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #21 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamNOISE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: (If) this unit does in fact sport a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amplifier - that would be one hell of a deal! That particular unit sold for nearly $800.00! Check out this old (2005) link to a review of it:

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amplifier (2/2005)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HEF188 is indeed a Black Cube clone. It's got an opamp preamp stage and a Class A FET output stage. Sure, the components are from different manufacturers, but the sound difference is minimal.

Quote:

Wow, you know, I just took a look at some more pictures, this DAC really does have the complete Black Cube headamp section onboard. Norbert is probably pissed...

yeah it's no secret, if you can read Chinese they don't hide the fact that it was cloned from the BCL. There's even step by step pictures of the process they took.

Lehmann Audio Stamp Power Amp & Linear Headphone Amp - [English] (under the hood photos of the BCL)

And the HEF188 threads on erji.net (chinese forum)

http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=474751
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=416328

Even if you can't read, pictures tell a thousand words
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #23 of 153
ok Sounds excellent! Everyone is talking about the Amp section, but how does the DAC stack up? It's either this, a pico or a OMZ for me :p

Dec 27, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #25 of 153
why is that? Since its a Black cube linear clone, which I understand is a pretty good amp, shouldn't it be just/almost as good? Could you describe what you like/don't like about the amp section?

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #26 of 153
Quote:

I don't think the amp section sounds all that good, at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is that? Since its a Black cube linear clone, which I understand is a pretty good amp, shouldn't it be just/almost as good? Could you describe what you like/don't like about the amp section?

well the BCL is a good amp, but it's not the best. i think the main reason it was cloned was because it's one of the few amps actually imported into China

Asr did a review of it recently vs 5 other amps you can see how it stacks up

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #27 of 153
Just comparing it to some of the other amps I have. It doesn't even stack up against the M^3. The way I see it, the M^3 is a better design too.

Basically, everything is there. the BCL doesn't sound bad, but switching between it and my Darkvoice 337, the difference in soundstage and detail is very apparent. The BCL is way over-priced. It should probably fall somewhere around the $200-300 range, definitely not $779.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #28 of 153
im gonna repeat Caution's question... what about the DAC section??

how does it stack up against other DACs? like the CS4398?

and like Caution..im considering between this, Musiland's MD10 or Musiland/Diyeden's cheaper alternative: SVDAC05

as for the amp...im wondering... DAH1 amp vs my Cute Battery amp... which is better?

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #29 of 153
Quote:

Just comparing it to some of the other amps I have. It doesn't even stack up against the M^3. The way I see it, the M^3 is a better design too.

Basically, everything is there. the BCL doesn't sound bad, but switching between it and my Darkvoice 337, the difference in soundstage and detail is very apparent. The BCL is way over-priced. It should probably fall somewhere around the $200-300 range, definitely not $779.

Oh really now :/.... this has makes the choice easier for me then
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks a lot mate.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #30 of 153
Quote:

Oh really now :/.... this has makes the choice easier for me then
smile.gif
Thanks a lot mate.

I think in this business very few amps stand the test of time, so to speak. The BCL was really good back in 2004, but now in 2007/2008, there have been many more improvements since. This applies to solid state amps and tube amps, though I would say tube amps don't change too much, since no one really does R&D on tubes anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back