Yulong Crystal DAC
Dec 11, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #107 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any 1 interested in this dac? i can get 10% off from the dealer here in china. i was gonna buy one but i dont think its gonna beat my zhaoluD2 with zapfilter mod so i didnt want to waste the money. it costs just under $200USD

10% off?
eek.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #108 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengzhe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10% off?
eek.gif

blink.gif
if i buy in bulk there will be more discount. on taobao ppl are already selling it for $1750RMB.

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #109 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
if i buy in bulk there will be more discount. on taobao ppl are already selling it for $1750RMB.

And shipping cost about $80 from China to Norway.

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #110 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengzhe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And shipping cost about $80 from China to Norway.

confused.gif
what does shipping costs have to do with me getting 10% discount from a distributor?

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #112 of 135
Havent tried it with a good speakersetup yet as my amp has been delayed.
Abrahamsen v series.
So i base my impression on headphones.

Its very thight sounding, like transistor hifi equipment withouth emphasis on any particular frequensies.

Its clear neutrality makes good cds or rips a must. Music still sound warm and bassy when its supposed to.

The optical input doesnt seem to be as good as the coaxial, but that might be a bad output on my source as well.

I havent heard any other dedicated dacs, but this one is capable of making my computer sound like a 1600$ cd player, wich is more then i had hoped for.
I'm going to use the dac between my computer and the preamp linked earlier in the post.

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #114 of 135
Been listening to this DAC for about a week and thought i might write about my experience with it.
Let it be said that this is my first standalone DAC. Furthermore im quite the new headfier, so my vocabulary in describing my impressions might be a little lacking. Bear with me.

I am going from a x-fi ->cheap cable -> headfive -> hd595
to
x-fi -> digital coax cable Teflon: Belden 89259 cables ( http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html ) -> Yulong Crystal DAC -> a pair of Pro Audio Grade cables ( http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/s...io_cables.html ) -> headfive -> hd595

I am not sure how much difference going from cheap analog to using digital coax and better analog cables might do, not worse i guess.

Impressions:

As mentioned before i have lost all my data on hardisk, so my flacs are gone. The first album I loaded up using the Yulong was Modern Times by none other than Bob Dylan, 320kbs. The first thing i thought was that i loved the new sound. It appeared more detailed and clearer. It was as if my ears were overwhelmed by all this new "information". The bass appeared kickier, not bloated or overpronounced. But with more snap, timing and accuracy than before. Much appreciated with the, imo, low bass of the hd595.
After my first listening for a couple of hours i felt fatigued for the first time ever after listening to music. The hd595 is a very non fatiguing pair of headphones. Well, to be honest im never listened to a pair of Grados or similar headphones that supposedly are fatiguing.

The first day of listening i had very positive sentiments, altho i hoped i wouldnt be feeling tired after listening to the setup. Fortunately this came true, i didnt become fatigued from listening to it later. It might be that i had to become accustomed to this new level of detail.

I have been listening to mostly mp3s at high quality and two albums in flac, namely Sam's Town by the Killers and Room on fire by the Strokes. The Killers has been a favorite of mine for quite some time and i know their two albums very very well.
What can I say, if i close my eyes i can feel the breath of Brandon Flowers. Being the cynic i am i thought this was a little teenage crush that would fade away, but it is still there after a week. Yes, i feel the new level of detail provided by the Yulong DAC compared to my x-fi extrememusic is very good. Worth the money.
I love the new sound and feel it is a very good product, still i would like to declare my experience is to be taken for what it is.
Namely i am not comparing to other standalone DACs, so i would not know how it goes against other in the same price class. Also, Fan said he thought the Zhaolu is better.
I do not want to appear like im hyping a product (beresford, cough cough)
, only to hear from senior headfiers that the product is inferior.
Listening and enjoying is a subjective thing, and in the end my opinion is what matters the most for me. And i like the Yulong DAC and i feel i am anjoying the music more. Hence I recommend the product because of my positive experience.

Sorry not being able to provide descriptive words, if you ask me about something specific and define the words i will to the best of my ability try to provide an answer.
Concluding, i would just like to say using the Yulong makes it harder to listen to higher volumes. I like to listen to low to medium volumes (i guess what is low and medium differs to each person, eh). Lately i have found that the more detailed the song (the material itself and the quality of the rip/original) the less volume i use.

Please provide feedback on my first mini-review
600smile.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #115 of 135
Nice Slem, was looking forward to this!
Nice impressions and it gives me a pretty good idea of how it sounds. Tight, detailed, and quick. Still very interested in this dac and I'll see if I can pick it up next month -- either this or an amp for the K-1000.

Thanks for impressions and mail me some pictures sometime, I'll host them.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #117 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass appeared kickier,

First thing i noticed to . The bass seemes to have become slightly fatter since i first listened to it. And vocals sounds incredible, currently lstening to john mayer and jenny vahl (rockettothesky).

I can finally understand the attraction of their genres. (melodic vocal alternativ rock?)
blink.gif
Im not good at categorising.

So now I wonder, if this isn't a high end dac, what could a really good dac sound like? What could i expect to gain soundwise if i tripled my investments?
More detail, crisper sound or have i reached a level where quality doesnt increase proportionaly with the price tag.

This forum isnt good for my personal economy.

Nice review by the way, your impressions seems to mirror my own

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #119 of 135
This thing looks awesome. I would love to have one. I do have two questions for you guys though.

For starters, hooking this up is as simple as running a mini -> digital coax from my X-Fi to this, then connecting my amp to this, and headphones into amp?

Secondly, in the future, I would like to buy a millet hybrid. Since this only has one RCA out, is there a simple way to hook up both amps to this without have to switch wires in the back? Some sort of system selector perhaps?

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #120 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thing looks awesome. I would love to have one. I do have two questions for you guys though.

For starters, hooking this up is as simple as running a mini -> digital coax from my X-Fi to this, then connecting my amp to this, and headphones into amp?

Secondly, in the future, I would like to buy a millet hybrid. Since this only has one RCA out, is there a simple way to hook up both amps to this without have to switch wires in the back? Some sort of system selector perhaps?

Yes, it is as simple as that. Though Creative has some bad software which makes it a little more difficult software wise but Slem has the same setup so he could describe how it's supposed to be set.

On the second, you basically have to options. One would be to build/buy a switchbox. This is a unit with one or multiple inputs and multiple outputs. You could also, if you're building the Millet yourself or having it built, add a loop out, possibly a passive preamp out, and connect the other amp to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back