Yulong Crystal DAC
Dec 6, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #91 of 135
any 1 interested in this dac? i can get 10% off from the dealer here in china. i was gonna buy one but i dont think its gonna beat my zhaoluD2 with zapfilter mod so i didnt want to waste the money. it costs just under $200USD

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #92 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any 1 interested in this dac? i can get 10% off from the dealer here in china. i was gonna buy one but i dont think its gonna beat my zhaoluD2 with zapfilter mod so i didnt want to waste the money. it costs just under $200USD

Really? What version? Red or black PCB? If it's a V5 (black pcb) I'm game.

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #94 of 135
slem,
It would be cool if you can upload some pics and review.

I am pretty interested as well, i thought the DAC won't come, so i had a look at the Yulong Mini DAC instead, i got a contact in malaysia who sells it. He knows the guy who actually design these DACs and according to him, the Crystal and the Mini are more or less the same in terms of performace, just different presentation. They cost almost the same as well, can't decide on which to get. Any suggestion?

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #95 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_0220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slem,
It would be cool if you can upload some pics and review.

I am pretty interested as well, i thought the DAC won't come, so i had a look at the Yulong Mini DAC instead, i got a contact in malaysia who sells it. He knows the guy who actually design these DACs and according to him, the Crystal and the Mini are more or less the same in terms of performace, just different presentation. They cost almost the same as well, can't decide on which to get. Any suggestion?

Doesn't the mini come with a built in headamp?
Slem said he'd get some pictures up yesterday, so he's slacking.
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #96 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the mini come with a built in headamp?
Slem said he'd get some pictures up yesterday, so he's slacking.
icon10.gif

Yup, it does. But it is not much use.......better to get a seperate amp. But he said that the DAC performance of the Mini and the Crystal are on the same level.
Don't know how true is that. Can you ask Fan to clarify? Apparently there are 2 versions of the Mini. The one with the PCM 1794 Dac is the one i am talking about.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #97 of 135
Phew!
Things are not easy for an aspiring headfier for sure. Just had both my hardisks go corrupt because the raid chip on the abit nf7 v.2.0 motherboard does not work very well with 2 sata hardisks. This is why it has taken some time to take the pics.
Still i managed to make a setup using a pink ps2 slim as transport - toslink - dac- cheap 2x rca cable to headfive - hd595

I just put together this setup and i have only listened to one cd. The cds which i had to go through my storage room to find. The work is paying off. I like the sound.

My first impressions of the DAC: It is fricking huge! My headfive is dwarfed in comparison. I like the aestatics, it will fit nicely along with my black/alu colored pc setup.
As for the sound, i need some time to build up an impression i can write about.

The pics. The pics taken by my 6 year old fujifilm 40i camera are each 1,6mb in size. How do i downsize them to 25kb????

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #98 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phew!
Things are not easy for an aspiring headfier for sure. Just had both my hardisks go corrupt because the raid chip on the abit nf7 v.2.0 motherboard does not work very well with 2 sata hardisks. This is why it has taken some time to take the pics.
Still i managed to make a setup using a pink ps2 slim as transport - toslink - dac- cheap 2x rca cable to headfive - hd595

I just put together this setup and i have only listened to one cd. The cds which i had to go through my storage room to find. The work is paying off. I like the sound.

My first impressions of the DAC: It is fricking huge! My headfive is dwarfed in comparison. I like the aestatics, it will fit nicely along with my black/alu colored pc setup.
As for the sound, i need some time to build up an impression i can write about.

The pics. The pics taken by my 6 year old fujifilm 40i camera are each 1,6mb in size. How do i downsize them to 25kb????

Use any photo editing program. Save as a compressed JPG file. If you want, you could mail them to me and I'll post them.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #100 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? What version? Red or black PCB? If it's a V5 (black pcb) I'm game.

pretty sure its the latest version. i can get you one and do a review on it before i send it. only thing is i dont have my zhaolu with me to do a A/B comparason.

i have my aims on a pass lab clone amp in china which is gonna take 2 weeks to built. so reviews might take a while because i dont have anything to drive my K1000 atm....unless i order a super cheap $200USD K1000 amp which YULONG has recently built. hummm decisions decisions
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #101 of 135
Well I will be in Australia from February on, so could be easier to figure it all out when I move back.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #102 of 135
Judging by the signal path on the pcb, it looks like the balanced signal is inverted by the opamps to the right. Or would there be any other use for these?

My amp has been delayed, so i tried it with my dt250s and a logitech speakerset as headamp. Great mids, tight and distortion in treble.

Its not much distortion, and i think its caused by the logitech equpment wich doesnt like the high output of the dac.
When i ran it from my computer and decreased the volume there and increased on the logitech te distortion disappeared.

Well, i get a new amp in january, well se then.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #103 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Judging by the signal path on the pcb, it looks like the balanced signal is inverted by the opamps to the right. Or would there be any other use for these?

My amp has been delayed, so i tried it with my dt250s and a logitech speakerset as headamp. Great mids, tight and distortion in treble.

Its not much distortion, and i think its caused by the logitech equpment wich doesnt like the high output of the dac.
When i ran it from my computer and decreased the volume there and increased on the logitech te distortion disappeared.

Well, i get a new amp in january, well se then.

At what volume did you have your PC when there was distortion?
Weird to see that yours uses different caps than in the press pictures, but chinese do this sometimes.

Need more impressions!
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #104 of 135
There is only distortion if the volume is at 100 % disapears at about 90%
Tested with my iriver optical, same problem.

I can't give any valid impressions before i get a proper amp.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #105 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is only distortion if the volume is at 100 % disapears at about 90%
Tested with my iriver optical, same problem.

I can't give any valid impressions before i get a proper amp.

sounds like its under driven but usually it reflects more on the bass. do you have a decent dac to compare the crystal with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back