Yulong Crystal DAC
Oct 17, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Good idea starting a new thread for the DAC.
wink.gif

When he writes back, if you could send these questions to him as well I would appreciate it.

"Things I would like to find out: Is it a switching or linear PSU? What voltage does it need? [Would be interesting if it took 12V or could be modded to take 12V easily for SLA battery power] Is the output stage balanced straight from the DAC?"

Why would you want it through battery power? Bit of storm digital inspiration there to get clean power?
smily_headphones1.gif

He allready said that the PSU is auto switching between 110V and 230V, I just asked again to verify this.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
He allready said that the PSU is auto switching between 110V and 230V, I just asked again to verify this.

If it is 'auto switching', does that mean that it is a switching power supply... or can a linear PSU be 'auto switching'?

I saw that you had commented that both 110V and 230V were possible. My question about 'what voltage it needs' is more to find out the requirements of the board itself... so that a higher quality linear PSU could be built for it [or a possible battery power implementation]. I'm not a big fan of switching power supplies. They can be implemented well, but they still send a bunch of noise out on to your power line which will play havok with your other components.
frown.gif

Also, though there does seem to be a lot of stuff in there... I haven't really been able to tell from the pictures if it is in fact fully balanced from the DAC. Some clarification on that would be great.

I am really interested in hearing his comparison between the Crystal and the Zhaolu 2.5... thanks for gathering all this info for us.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #19 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Is the output stage balanced straight from the DAC?"

He still hasn't answered my email, but from an extremely crappy Babelfish translation from a chinese auction of the dac:

Quote:

The PCB numeral place, the power source grounding, simulates the left sound track grounding, simulates the right sound track grounding, all passes through the independent copper sheet then after to filter processing to meet above, does this can let background even more peaceful, the signal clutter reduce to slightly, about the sound track degree of dissociation is higher.

I think that means that it's balanced all the way, or atleast in the PSU section.

From a forum discussion some DAC's, a post made by the seller I have contact with:
Quote:

YULONG Crystal DAC > Great March >D2 (4,398) > PLUS >D1.3>04

It seems like he prefferes it to all others that we know around here. What's the Plus and 04 though?

Oct 18, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #21 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
i would rather believe in user feed back rather then a seller of the actual product
biggrin.gif
plus should be SVDAC 01-Plus by diyeden..not sure about 04.

Note that he sells all those products (For certain the Zhaolu D2 and Great March, so I suppose he also sold the 1.3 and most likely the others). Offcourse, to get best feedback someone will have to purchase it.
biggrin.gif

I'll see if I have some cash to burn at the end of the month, if so, I'll buy one.

Oct 18, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #22 of 135
Quote:

Note that he sells all those products (For certain the Zhaolu D2 and Great March, so I suppose he also sold the 1.3 and most likely the others). Offcourse, to get best feedback someone will have to purchase it.
biggrin.gif

I'll see if I have some cash to burn at the end of the month, if so, I'll buy one.

What seller are you going to purchase it from ?

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle
Thats wierd... I emailed him and 30 minutes later he wrote back.

He just mailed me, saying he'll answer my questions asap. I guess I asked him fairly hard questions for his limited english.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 135
Quote:

He just mailed me, saying he'll answer my questions asap. I guess I asked him fairly hard questions for his limited english.
smily_headphones1.gif

HAHAHA poor guy, so much translating.
I made it easy for him, all i said was "HI, I want to buy Crystal DAC. How much to USA. Thank you"
biggrin.gif

Anywho, looks like ill be buying it this week.

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #27 of 135
BTW, i just read your review impressions on the RS-1s and noticed you were listing to ladytron....
I actually went to their show last night here in LA. It was soooo awesome.

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #28 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by pelayostyle
HAHAHA poor guy, so much translating.
I made it easy for him, all i said was "HI, I want to buy Crystal DAC. How much to USA. Thank you"
biggrin.gif

Anywho, looks like ill be buying it this week.

That's awesome, be sure to post impressions!

And Ladytron is downright awesome.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #29 of 135
Quote:

Hello Mr. Fan,

I spoke to you earlier today on MSN, about buying a YuLong Crystal Dac.
I just have some questions for you:

1. Is it for both 110V and 230V? Is it an automatic switching PSU?

2. What DAC chip does it use?

3. How does it sound? Does it produce a full (lot of bass) sound or is it more natural?

4. You also sell the Zhaolu 2.5 Dac. Can you compare the YuLong Crystal with the Zhaolu? Which one is better with RCA out, in your opinion?

5. What is the shipping cost to: (My adress in The Netherlands)

6. In this image: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7...pansionqf3.jpg , in the red circle: Is that an output that could be used for an amplifier to be built into the Dac? What do those pins do?

7. The price for one unit is 1880RMB, what if I wanted to buy 5 or more? Would it be possible to have a lower price if I bought 5?

Thank you,
Best regards,

Rik Elmendorp

Quote:

Hi,

1. No automatic switching PUS, 110V and 230V should be custom-tailored.
2. YULONG Crystal DAC use CS4397, Zhaolu D2.5A use AD1852 and Zhaolu D2.5C use CS4398.
3.and 4. YULONG Crystal Dac's tone color is partial to warm, soft, have strong music feeling, and Zhaolu D2.5's series have pay more attention to high resolution dint, voice the field is spacious, low frequency control the dint is stronger.
5. shipping cost to Netherlands by DHL is RMB100 per 1000g.
7. YULONG Crystal DAC's price (five pieces) :RMB 1550 * 5; Zhaolu D2.5A 's price (five pieces):RMB 680 * 5; Zhaolu D2.5C 's price (five pieces):RMB 920 * 5.

FAN Chengzhe

I like the answer he gives in 3 and 4. The main thing I disliked about the Zhaolu is that it was so dry and harsh, the Crystal should be much more to my liking.
We could save RMB 330, or $40 if 5 of us bought them in one order. That's a pretty nice deal. I'll see if the price still applies if they are sent to different adresses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Shipping's original estimate seems high, RMB 100 per kilo would make it roughly RMB 600-700 shipping.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #30 of 135
Good responses... sounds like the PSU may be linear if you need to specify voltage when you order. We should double check this.

From the responses, I think that the Zhaolu D2.5C might be a good midground between the two in terms of tonality after what I have experienced with the AD and CS chips.

Anyone know what 'dint' means?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back