YUIN OK1. New Canal phone/earbud.
Mar 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rodaballo

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to Fang from Head-direct I have been able to try the new Yuin OK1.

I have to say OMG...

I am testing them with an iMod and a Diablo, a GoVibe7 and a PRII MkII.

It is important to emphasize that these are not IEMs they sit in your ear but they are not inserted inside the ear canal as the Etys.

People MUST understand that these are not IEMs. They do not provide you with almost complete isolation such as the Etys will give you.

These sound like headphones but without the bulk. The separation of instruments, detail and soundstage is amazing.

I have compared the OK1s with the PK1s and the OK1s have more detail and power than the PK1s.

The bass is also more powerful. Robust.

The highs and mids are astounding.

The PK1s are wonderful phones but the OK1s are better. The sounder is a little bit more solid (if that is possible).

They have more power, detail and space than the PK1s.

The fact that you can use them as a canal phone and as an earbud adds diversity to them.

I am really impressed.

To be used as a canal phone there is a little tube that can be easily screwed in the center of the ear bud. There are several sleeves to be tried in order to get the best fit in your ear drum.

Fang has told me that there is another tube a little bit longer, that he will send me, that provides a better fit and with which the highs are even more detailed.

As a canal the music is powerful as an earbud it is a little more delicate than when used as canal.

May be as a canal they are good for rock or pop and as an earbud for jazz, classical music.

At this moment I prefer them as a earbuds but I will have to try the other tube.

Yes, before you ask, I have compared them with the Etys E4R/P and the Shures e500.

Forget those. These OK1 sound better, to my ears, and fit better.

Fang wrote me that the expected price would be 250 USD.

I will try the OK1s in an airplane trip on Monday and Tuesday and get back to you with my impressions.

Some pictures...

These are the OK1s with and without the tube that converts them in canal phones.

DSC05026.jpg

DSC05035.jpg

DSC05036.jpg

This is a comparisson with the Yuin PK1s.

DSC05027.jpg

DSC05029.jpg

DSC05031.jpg

DSC05033.jpg

DSC05023.jpg

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 33
Having compared the OK3s to the PK3s and coming to a similar conclusion, seems like the OK3s will cost around 80 USD. That's quite a bump from the PK line, but in the case of the OK3s, worth the extra $30. However, as I said in my review, I can't recommend the OK3s as a canalphone with the original screw-on sound tube. Also waiting to get the longer tube as a comparison. For anyone interested, the OK3 review is here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3917797-post17.html

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 33
thanks for the pics I was wondering what the OK series looked like without the tips on and if they had something sticking out to hold the tips on or not. Now I know that they really are just earbuds that have the option to be poor isolation canalphones.

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 33
Not that poor. I can use them and not listen to the TV while my younger daughter is watching. Kids ussually watch TV with relatively high audio levels...

So it does not give you the level of isolation that an IEM gives you but that can be also useful.

By the way the may not look fancy but, to my ears, they sound better than the two IEMs that I have tested so far (e500 and Ety 4R/P).

I am really interested in testing them in the airplane. I will do it on Monday and Tuesday and get back to you.

Regards

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 33
That's great!!! I'm already saving up for the OK1s
biggrin.gif
Can't wait until they're released, so I won't miss my PK1s anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't need the canalphone part, I just need the overall small formfactor so the bad isolation isn't a negative for me. The price is higher than I expected but still not going to stop me from buying them

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 33
These look like they will be my next upgrade in my headphone collection.
Is the OK line going to replace the PK line? Since the OKs seem to have better SQ and are also earbud/canal type phones versus the PK which is only an earbud, what appeal will there be left for the PK series?

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 33
Thanks for the impressions.
Is their sound signature similar to PK1? How is their sensitivity? (they need to be amped, right?)

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodaballo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that poor. I can use them and not listen to the TV while my younger daughter is watching. Kids ussually watch TV with relatively high audio levels...

So it does not give you the level of isolation that an IEM gives you but that can be also useful.

By the way the may not look fancy but, to my ears, they sound better than the two IEMs that I have tested so far (e500 and Ety 4R/P).

I am really interested in testing them in the airplane. I will do it on Monday and Tuesday and get back to you.

Regards

I wouldn't say they are poor as canalphones (OK3s, that is), but didn't you feel that the canalphone version seemed more veiled due to the fact that you couldn't get a proper seal. Maybe it's a case of ear differences, but not sure.

Someone else reviewed the OK3s and found the same issue with the canalphones. And I even tried using the new Comply T400 tips, which are made for canal-type sound tubes. Still seemed veiled, and lost detail. YMMV, but as earbuds, the OK3s are fantastic. As canalphones, so-so with the original tube. I can't say if they will be isolating enough for air travel, but I have my doubts. Interested to see how they fare.

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 33
So it sounds better than PK1, E500 and Ety er-4p? Hmm... I'm a little skeptical about that. It sounds too good to be true at this price line.

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 33
Hello:

Concerning the canal phone with the tube on, I have been switching back and forth and I think that both have different music profiles that fit better with both.

Right now I am listening to Diana Krall's Collaborations on the canal phone.

There is plenty of detail and very "luscious" sound as with all her records.

The sound is on the line of the PK1s but with more body to it.

I would not say that is veiled or hollow. I found that they should nopt be inserted just deposited in the canal.

I assume taht in that way the sound comes from the tube and from the area of the earbud that surrounds it.

About the comparisson with the e500 and teh Etys E4R/P, this is what my ears tell me.

The e500 are very dark and the Etys can shrill a little bit.

These are quite well balanced.

This weekend I did lots of listening. In fact I have been using a Mapletree Ear + HD with Senns 650 and I have to tell you that of course the space is bigger with those but I do not miss them a lot when using the OK1s.

I can move around with them. I can be with the family when they watch TV...

So, I feel that it is a very good product.

But this is just my ears opinion.

Best regards

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 33
Do we know when OK series will be released?

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 33
Can you offer your thoughts on the sound signature?

I found the pk1's to be way too bright. All I could hear was high's, no midrange whatsoever. are these "warmer" at all?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back