YUIN OK1. New Canal phone/earbud.
Mar 31, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #19 of 33
I have been using OK2s, and SQ wise they are awesome.

It's still important to understand they are just canalphones not IEMs, the isolation is better than buds, but by no means comparable to that of IEMs.

I quite like them as buds, but Fang is sending me a longer stem so I can make some final choices and write up a review!

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #20 of 33
I'm actually beginning to think that I really like the idea of this hybrid design of earbud/canalphone. There are times when I feel I would rather wear an earbud (like when walking) and then there are times when I need some isolation and minimal leakage (on the bus, in the library).

This might be able to suit both needs perfectly. I might give these a shot and compare them to my current favorite IEM, the Sleek Audio SA6.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #21 of 33
I have the OK3s, and love their ear bud sound (somewhat better than the PK3s). But as I have said, the canalphone version sounds veiled to me (and Souperman, who also reviewed them in the OK3 thread) mainly because I can't get a good seal as the earbud blocks decent insertion. Unless the longer sound tube changes that situation, I won't be using the canalphone option with them. Plus, I also have the Sleeks, which are far superior to the OK3s (and should be), for in-ear listening.

Of course, the OK1s may be a different story due to their price, and could rival the Sleeks SQ-wise, though I doubt that will be the case when the former is used as a canalphone. But you never know.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 33
So no one knows when OK1 will be available? I just purchased PK1 and should get it first thing in the morning but I may have to return it if OK1 turns out to be a winner over PK1.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #23 of 33
Hello:

The sound that comes from the OK1 is a little bit more robust and round than that from the PK1.

The bass is better and more present.

The soundstage on the canal phone is quite similar to that of the earbud. I do not see a loss of detail or soundstage when on canal phone mode. The bass is more present on the canal phone than on the earbud.

Again this is to my ears and it changes with the recordings.

Best regards

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually beginning to think that I really like the idea of this hybrid design of earbud/canalphone. There are times when I feel I would rather wear an earbud (like when walking) and then there are times when I need some isolation and minimal leakage (on the bus, in the library).

This might be able to suit both needs perfectly....

my thoughts, as well. they are pricier than i hoped, but if Yuin can come up with satisfactory tubes and tips without compromising sound quality, these are suddenly very intriguing.

IEMs annoy me with their microphonics, their over isolation, and that underwater feeling i get with them embedded in my ears.

these sound like a nice middle ground.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 33
I heard a prototype of these last fall and I thought the canals had way too much bottom end. It really bothered me alot, but I kind of feel that way about 650s so take that as you may. But then again, they may have changed. I will agree with the OP these are definitely a step up from the pk1s as earbuds.
I cant wait for a pair of my own.

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 33
Hi,

Yes, that is one of the things that I have found out.

They need an amp with power to really shine.

I have compared the GoVibe 7 (Eco) with the Diablo and with this last one they are really wonderful.

Regards

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #30 of 33
Hello:

I have come back from the airplane trip.

As expected the OK1s do not give you the isolation that The Etys. Please, keep in mind that the Etys are ear plugs.

I used them in the airport lounge and that is no problem at all. I heard some backgound noise but totally bearable.

In the airplane you could listen in the background the noise of the ventilation system. With the music on this was very reduced.

The main advantage is that the sound of the OK1s is totally natural throughout the whole reange while the Etys sounds somewhat compressed and the highs can be a little bit harsh form time to time and the bass is there but "just" there.

So, they can be used in the plane if you are not asking for a total isolation of the environmental noise.

Will I choose one or the other. It will depend on what do I want if I want to enjoy music the OK1 if I want to get total isolation the Etys with their drawbacks.

I look forward to get the other tube that might increase isolation.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back