Your thoughts on the Sennheiser HD 598
Dec 15, 2011 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

markzi

Head-Fier
I might get these headphones, and I want to know what you think, a lot of people don't like the way they look, personally, I think they are quite original and I love their look. But I want to know about the sound, I want to know about what You think about the sound and the other features.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 14
They have lots of mids and good soundstage.  Sort of an upside down "U" eq shape.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 14
Bright when compared to the others on the Senn's line, which are more dark
Tight bass, and engaging soundstage. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Oh, and i forgot to add: they are not hard to drive. A portable such my E7 make them sound really good. (low impedance)

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
I disagree with that, without a desktop amp, they have almost no bass.

Not needed. Some eq tweaks or bass boost function on a portable does the trick. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 14
If this is the OP's first pair of audiophile grade headphones, then I will assume he will not appreciate them at first due to the lack (I use that word lightly) of bass. But once you acknowledge the bass on the headphones, you get to realize the better aspects that the HD598's have to offer (mid range). Otherwise, the HD598's are a superb pair of headphones. My favourite all-arounder. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 14
I just got them and I'm really liking them as they burn in more and more.  I like to burn in through listening so it's been maybe 12 / 14 hours of use but they're really opening up.  Better every day.  Also I was worried that a desktop amp would be too much but actually they're better volume and bass wise with the e9 / e7 combo or with my soundcard straight out of pc rather than with e7.  E7 is honestly not enough imo, low volume limit and bass is too slight.  They are really very nice, out of the box I preferred my akg k540s but now that these are opening up and seeing the soundstage people talk about and I love it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 14
Running my HD 598s with my E10 with bass boost on.  Not sure if I should use on low or high gain.  Low gain it gets real loud already at level 3 knob.  High gain its loud at 1-2 level.  Hard for me to tell the difference in quality besides volume level.  Loving the combo tho.

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Running my HD 598s with my E10 with bass boost on.  Not sure if I should use on low or high gain.  Low gain it gets real loud already at level 3 knob.  High gain its loud at 1-2 level.  Hard for me to tell the difference in quality besides volume level.  Loving the combo tho.

Use low gain.  There shouldn't be a difference in quality, but you want to stay away from the extreme ranges of the potentiometer (volume 0-1, and 7-8...so 2-6 is a better range to stay in)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back