Your Primary Way To Discover Music?
May 26, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #31 of 57
Emusic is my new way to discover music. Perhaps the best online music store to discover music. Here's why:

- Cheaply price music. So you don't mind giving a random album a shot.
- 30 second previews
- Free Daily Download. I have 1.5gbs of free DLs Very helpful tool
- Emusic Magazine. The write something new daily.
- Power Charts. It lets you decide the genre, years, label, hell even the region. One of the most customizable charts I've ever seen.
- User reviews and rating
- Professional reviews
- Editorial Picks. So far this has really worked well or me.
- Member playlist (including save for later list)
- Related Artists
- Fans. Which is basically saying "People who liked this also like this"
- Neighbors. This is were they take people with similair collections to yours and make a recommendation.
- Message board. Not alive and kicking like headfi. But I've found it useful once or twice.
- Your New Arrivals - they make recommendations of new music to you based on your ratings and DLs

So far I've gotten 31 albums. I liked most of them except for 2 albums. I have 68 albums on my save or later list and I know I'll add alot more in the months to come. Emusic has been a very useful discover tool for me.

May 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #32 of 57
I read all the reviews here and then go to amazon and listen to the clips when their available.

May 27, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #34 of 57
1. Internet Radio - Yahoo Unlimited (Launchcast)
2. Internet Radio - iTunes
3. Cable TV - Music Choice

May 27, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #35 of 57
One of my best friends of 13 years has always kept up on music. He finds alot of stuff before it becomes popular or stuff that is hidden in corners. The guy gets about 15 albums every week, I have no idea how he keeps up. When I win the lottery I'm going to hire him as my personal music concierge. I will take his recommendations as well and find stuff on amazon using the listmanias ect. I don't listen to any kind of commercial radio including sat.

May 27, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #36 of 57
I discovered a couple of bands though some guys sig here. He listed what he considered to be good 2007 albums so far, one was Andrew Bird, so I picked that up and really liked it. The National was also listed and released an album this week, picked that up and liked that too.

Other than that, a lot of times I was finding stuff based on what might be on a label that is similar. Usually, I'll walk around the used aisle of the record store and if something sticks out that I read in a magazine or in a forum, I'll take a chance on it. Sometimes they are winners like the ones I mentioned and sometimes not. Never know, unless I try.

May 27, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #37 of 57
I mainly use allmusic.com for research and music clips. Occasionally I will use the iTunes music store to try clips.

I very rarely read music reviews, and am seldom if ever persuaded by them.

--Jerome

May 28, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 57
1. Online Forums like this one.
2. Music magazine reviews like, MOJO or UNCUT (movies too)
3. Music stores like Borders, those headphones at those
listening stations are not a good indicator of the music though!
4. Amazon occasionally too.

JD
icon10.gif

May 28, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #42 of 57
Last.fm reccomendations. I've found a lot of good stuff over the past 8 or 9 months I've been on there.

Also, from reading this here forum.

May 29, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #43 of 57
Magazines (Music Magazine, Cookie Scene)
Keikaku.net
Head Fi Music Forum
Preparing for Rock Festivals

I wish I can have peer recommendation but I have very few friends who actively searches for new music.

May 29, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 57
Amazon recommendations (thus similar artists, for the most part) + eMule is how I initially hear just about all the music I listen to. Head-Fi members have pointed me in good directions as well. I used to rely primarily on the recommendations of friends, but I listen to a lot more music than the friends I currently keep in contact with so that no longer works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back