Your Primary Way To Discover Music?
May 26, 2007 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
My primary way of discovering new music is through checking out other artist on that label. I find that artist on the same label usually have a connecting signature. It would be very cool if I could browse on my iPod by label as well. I do have a few smart playlist that are label specific (I put the label in the grouping field), but it's not the same.

May 26, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 57
I don't really have to many friends with the same musical taste so I only get a few recomendations from friends. The majority of the music i find is just from reading about influences on my favorite bands, or from similar bands.

May 26, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 57
Crap! I should have listed traditional radio in my poll. I haven't listened to the radio in so long I forget it's a source for music discovery. Although internet radio is pretty good. I just prefer to listen to full albums. So I'd rather take a shot and buy the full cd or DL the full album (through http://www.emusic.com/)

May 26, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 57
I am running blindly trying different artists out. most of my friends listen to what ever is "cool". I've taken recommendations from older people on classic rock artists and that is what kinda got me going now expanding.

I am still looking for recommendations for Classical and Jazz as I don't really know where to start. I used to love classical watched Fantasia ( disney movie ) as much as I could when I was a kid. I've heard Jazz is really good I've heard some but I also don't know really where to start.

I've also chatted to head-fiers about music and taken some recommendations.

May 26, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 57
Independent labels, especially smaller ones, often have a consistent musical and artistic style. That's why many of us have become label followers.

If I happen upon an artist that I don't know about but looks interesting, I'd note down the name and search on the net.

May 26, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 57
I hear some new stuff on Sirius, in between the stuff I've heard 3000 times in the last month.

May 26, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 57
I've found that a good way to discover new music is to pick a genre, explore its various bands and artists, and then branch out from there to other related genres. Lather, rinse, repeat.

May 26, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 57
AMG links, friends, head-fi posts...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 57
basically when i find a new band and explore their material i usually go to itunes and check out "people who bought this bought that". i look around here and go to friends (who are usually useless, but head-fi is awesome).

May 26, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 57
where do I vote for "download FLAC album illegally"?
evil_smiley.gif

I guess I would mostly be "Similar Artists"

May 26, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 57
One word - Pitchfork! Then I first dowload illegally flac style and then try to find the album on vinyl the next chance I get to the local record store. Bought usually used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back