Your Primary Way To Discover Music?
May 29, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #49 of 57
I usually discover bands through similar artists. I like looking up influences and "genre-expanders" as well.

May 29, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65535 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be a multi choice poll.

Not really because i asked about the primary way.
tongue.gif

May 30, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #52 of 57
The itunes store - even though I don't buy much there, there are lots of imixes, celeb playists, and features that often have good stuff.

...And radioparadise

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #54 of 57
Internet radio, especially Radio Paradise, the best station on the planet!

RP_header.jpg

Jun 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #55 of 57
I pick up used vinyl. I have stacks of it unlisted to already. I sometimes pick up stuff that has good reccomendations on here, too. Of course, listening to thrift store vinyl leaves me listening to a lot of 70s music, but I'm down with that.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #56 of 57
I've had the greatest success at Amazon. Why? Because I can read multiple reviews and integrate a meta-review of my own that indicates how much I might like the record. It takes time to develop this.

The question is... how do I find out which CDs to research? Any source I run into: co-workers (Norah Jones); friends (Ellis Paul); Head-fi (Sparklehorse); movies and shows, etc. I don't listen to the radio. Then I can use Amazon to explore parallels and options. For instance, Ellis Paul led to Richard Shindell and David Wilcox.

The problem is that I like some small subset of many genres. How to find that subset is where the integration of reviews comes in.

An interesting sidelight: my opinion of the song "American Pie" was based on hearing the song over and over. I hated it. Then one night I heard the real song at a party, the original played by McLean. What a difference between that and the covers. I thanked my friend who played it and bought the album. So, you just never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back