your opinion best red book cd player
Mar 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mazinguerbeta

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am searching to new source, now I am an owner of a marantz cd6002, my budget is of approximately 2800 $, I want the best CD player possibly, only red book, new or used. I looks for your opinion, thanks.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 23
well, I begin, I have been researching and it seems that the choices would be, Meridian, Wadia, Audio Research, Cary .... if you have experience in one of these cd player, I would appreciate your opinion

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 23
Uforce modded OPPO83SE. I hear it can compete with players 2-4 times it's price range

I have the stock 83SE.. The verdict is still out, but only listened for a 1/2 hr with no hi rez audio, and hear it needs 3-4 hundred hrs before sounding it's best. If I knew about the Uforce modded OPPO83SE, I would mostly likely have gotten it, I still might get the mods if after break in, feel the player is under performing. Out of the box it's extremely detailed.. And never really heard air inbetween string plucks so clear and convincing. Either way, 2,800 can get you hi en sound. I know the Dodge on pacificvalve gets rave reviews and cost under 2,000. The Cambridge 840 for around 1,600.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Get one of the commercial/broadcast CD players and a very nice DAC. A commercial player is built like a tank and then you can upgrade DACs as you see fit. This setup will also let you serve music from your computer.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 23
Get a used and stock Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player and Power Centre for approximately $2500 USD. Do your searches here and on the Internet for reviews. It offers near state of the art audio performance for a fraction of the cost of ne plus ultra CD players.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get one of the commercial/broadcast CD players and a very nice DAC. A commercial player is built like a tank and then you can upgrade DACs as you see fit. This setup will also let you serve music from your computer.

This makes the most sense to me.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just to second Uncle Erik.

The major thing that makes CD players sound different is all in the D/A conversion. So why not decouple transport from DAC? It has the advantage of letting you use the DAC for other things like computer audio. Also if you get tired of the sound of the DAC you can still keep your transport and upgrace your DAC and voila! new cd player.

I think all I did here is repeat UE...
redface.gif

Kind of a long winded way of saying "I couldn't agree more"

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 23
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Just released, only 150 are being made so it might go out of stock several months from now. It only outputs digital so you need an external DAC to go with it (If you get, say, a reference 1, total would be around $2900 shipped). Unfortunately many audio-gd products have yet to be given many reviews compared to other brands, but a few head-fi members own the previous model, maybe ask them for their opinion if you are curious about the cd player.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 23
I just heard and drooled over the "Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player and Power Centre" at the Dayton Meet! I'm a Vinyl Guy so that's where my $$$ are, but after this past weekend I would/will be looking at the "Resolution Audio" stuff... now don't quote me on the model (Opus 21)?? That I saw and heard, but it was a beautiful sounding and built player with out board power supply.....Then again, Uncle Erik has a great plan of attack that makes sense....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back