Your most moronic audio purchase
Apr 17, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #46 of 60
i wouldnt say moronic..
but i have a few things i never use
like my Sennheiser EH 2270s..sound like listening to AM radio thru earpads made of mud

my sony minidisc player is useless as I seldom use it..takes forever to record a minidisc..i am far to impatient for that

but closest to moronic...i would say
a marantz quadrophonic integrated amplifier...
it's a 100 lb paper weight

Apr 17, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
I think the single stupidest purchase was 5-6 years ago. A salesman at one of those high-end stores talked me into buying TWO TDK ferrites for $30.00!!! What a F-ing goof I was.

Been there....done that too.
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #48 of 60
For me, it's been moronic to explore this sub-hobby of headphone audio to its extremes. The truth is that I could have been quite happy with quite a bit less research and less money spent. Surely by the time I purchased my fifth pair of headphones or amp I could have reached some sort of stopping point.

Other than that, I felt truly betrayed when I bought the old Sony portable that everyone was going nuts for here on Head-Fi. It was made of metal and kindof looked cool but that was the end of the niceties about it. I sold it and I think the person I sold it to has the same feelings. Curiosity is a killer.

Paying $800 for a W2002 also seemed moronic to me. I sold them without losing any money due to their obscurity but despite the fact that I really liked them, I just never could get past the idea that they cost so much. And the pretty packaging, metal case and nice finish just made me feel even more like I was paying for a gimmick.

Upgrading my CD player seems moronic too. Oh, it sounds good. It sounds damned good. But what kind of sick individual purchases Sony's top of the line $3000 CD player and then says, "but wait, that's not good enough." Sanity should have kicked in at some point.

Cables are always moronic but despite how much difference I truly can hear with the Cardas cable onthe HD600, I still can't believe I paid $150 for a headphone cable. How ridiculous. Barnum was the prophet of audiophiles.

I've made very few bad music decisions. This is probably due to the fact that I mostly listen to older music so there's simply not as much risk. One moronic habit I have, though, is purchasing soundtrack CDs just to get one or two songs I like. This has lead me to having some pretty strange soundtracks in my collection, including stuff like Last Action Hero.

Apr 17, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Lady and Gentlemen...
I have FOUND the CD.
M.C. Hammer, Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them, in pristine conditon.

I am putting on the W2002.

Wish me luck.

I'm twice as bad then since I have not one, but TWO M.C Hammer CDs still. For some reason I can't seem to sell them off. And I have the Milli Vanilli CD to boot. For shame, for shame.

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I'm twice as bad then since I have not one, but TWO M.C Hammer CDs still. For some reason I can't seem to sell them off. And I have the Milli Vanilli CD to boot. For shame, for shame.

One word: Skeet.

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
One word: Skeet.

Wouldn't that be a waste of shot to blow these bad CDs away.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
Not if you toss them in front of the bird first!

Bad taste in music, but an incredible shot.
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #56 of 60
Well, I accidently purchased the V-600 from buy.com, and then I realized I made a stupid mistake (totally ignored those extra two zeros!) and returned it the same day I got it. Luckily, my dumbest mistake only cost me some shipping.

Apr 18, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #57 of 60
probably the couple blink 182 cd's I got for like $3 each.. but then again, i could always resell for like $3.

My dad bought a Bose ______ 3 (acoustimass maybe?)

This was back when i was in 3rd grade, so when I caught on, I was in shame for owning a Bose system.

However, after he told me he purchased the set (2 jewel cube speakers, 2 rear speakers, subwoofer, CD player) for about $450 (this was back in 1990) I was actually kind of amazed at the deal. They just sound okay (they don't sound horrible, no matter what you tell me - Bose pwns my $80 Aiwa Boombox
smily_headphones1.gif
) but for $450 at least it wasn't the classic overpriced Bose.

Apr 18, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
I once bought an 'Everlast' CD....

"PULL" is all I have to say, in shame.

Very good subtle humor
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back