Your first phones? The good ones.
Oct 27, 2001 at 10:38 PM Post #32 of 67
My first cans were those cheap earbuds that came with my Walkman. The first one I thougth were good were those Chinese $1.00 things they still sell around these days. Next came the Sony Fontopias. But the first one that blew me away was the Nova vertical phones from Radioshack and after that my Grado's SR-60. Next came the KCS-35 and the MS-1. And someday maybe Etymotics or RS-1, who knows what the future brings?

Oct 27, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #33 of 67
Bought my Grado SR80's from Goodcans earlier this year after lurking on Headwize for awhile. Been absolutely sucked in since then, buying Senn HD570's, Senn MX500's and my most recent purchase, the AKG K501's. I've purchased two CD players thanks to recommendations from this board and Headwize (Denon DCM370 and a Radio Shack CD-3904 for a portable setup with the Grados), bought some music thanks to recommendations in the music forum, and built a Cmoy / Hansen amp.

Lord help me, I think I have to buy an amp next. My wife is the best, she just smiles and reminds me that I've saved thousands of dollars since I quit smoking two years ago, so go right ahead and buy more equipment....
smily_headphones1.gif

You know... I'm a lucky guy
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #35 of 67
First for me was actually an ear-plug (note: non-plural) that came with my first transistor radio (the latest technology)..then it was the aforementioned Senn's with the yellow foam....then it was home audio/livingroom set up...

Now I am back to the phones.....

Oct 27, 2001 at 11:19 PM Post #36 of 67
Well...after lurking on this board for awhile I actually realized that my first pair of phones was a Radio Shack Koss KTX-Pro clone. I bought them when I was maybe 13 or 14 because they were on sale at Radio Shack and looked ok. I always did think those headphones sounded good...now I know why.
smily_headphones1.gif
Then I got a pair of V600s for Christmas and thought they were great for a couple of years. Just about a year ago, I finally convinced my wife that I needed Etys; then I found headwize and haven't looked back. Since then I've owned SR-60s, SR-125s, SR-225s and my latest acquisition, 2 V6s (one for me and one for my wife...she's hooked now too.)

Short amp history too...bought a TA for my Etys, then sold that about a month later when I found a good deal on a Cosmic with Traveller bag, and that's what I've got now. I've never actually owned any CD player other than cheap portables though...once I graduate in March and get a nice lucrative job I'll have to work on that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #37 of 67
My first good headphones were the Grado SR 225's. They were alright but a bit too fatiguing for me so I went for the HD600's with red clous and they have been my primary listening devices ever since.

Oct 28, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #38 of 67
My first GOOD pair of headphones that I had baught were the Sony MDR-V6's in 1990 - and that was after Consumer Reports (the magazine in which tin-ears review audio equipment) had top-rated that model. I had never spent more than $25 on any single pair of headphones before then.
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #39 of 67
My first decent pair of phones were the Beyerdynamic DT531's. Got them from a local dealer for £120 back in 1997.

I had been in and bought a Rotel Pre and a couple of matching Power amps. I was also looking for some cans so I asked if he had any decent ones that I could listen to. He asked what budget I had in mind and I said that price wasn't really a problem so long as they sounded good.

Hehehehe, he went out the back and came back a few moments later with a pair of STAX LAMBDA NOVA BASIC's. I put them on and was blown away by the sound I was hearing, especially as he had connected them to a Naim CDX! I was in heaven, and then I asked the price. I was gutted that I couldn't afford them so settled for second best, and slinked off home with the DT531's.

However, I couldn't get those Stax phones out of my mind and eventually bought them about nine months later.

One day I went into the local Superfi dealer here in Hull and somehow cam out with a pair of SENNHEISER EARMAX HD470's. God are they awful phones. No bass to speak off and all treble. I persevered with them and even used them portable but I got so many funy looks that they were relegated to the gash box. I gave those to my father eventually and he seems to like them.

For portable use, I have found what I class as being Audio Nirvana. I picked up a pair of STAX SR-001's Portable electrostats and have been using those since early '98. Some sweet phones! Only problem is that they are very hungry on the batteries and tend to last from 2 - 5 hours depending on a pair of AA cells. I have found that the ribbon cable on the Stax is very delicate and i'm having to send them away for the second time to get it replaced.

Have also got a pair of KOSS 'THE PLUG' but to be honest, they are not very good. I just hate the foam inserts that they come with and experimenting with other inserts doesn't make them much better. I only got them as a stopgap until my STAX get fixed.

I also have a pair of SENNHEISER HD580's. Got them in December 2001 from Richer Sounds. They usually retail at £200 here in the UK so I was quite pleased to see them at £59.95. I am reasonably impressed with them, they are still running in at the moment. I suspect that they need an amplifier and that will be a purchase i'll be making shortly.

Like many other in this group, I am a complete headphone nut. My motto is YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PAIRS OF PHONES!

Seasons Greetings
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #40 of 67
The first pair I truly heard where a pair of my Dads Wharfedale closed 'phones (no idea on the model number)

The first pair I bought was in 1993 (i think) - A pair of BeyerDynamic DT311s, then a month later Sennheiser HD340s... and its just gone on from there....

Dec 23, 2001 at 4:52 PM Post #41 of 67
Sennheiser HD-545s, bought blind and on a budget. They cost me about £80 which I thought was crazy money in 1999 for headphones. The sound blew me away (at the time), and I instantly forgot about the price tag. May they rest in pieces.

Dec 23, 2001 at 5:43 PM Post #42 of 67
Sony MDR-V6 on 10/16/2001.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I have HD600, V6, Koss KSC-35, Sennheiser MX 500.

But the V6 is still my most favorite phone (nothing compares to the first one). I listen to the V6 for at least 1 to 2 hours a day. That is why a pair of SONY MDR 7506 is coming.
cool.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 5:54 PM Post #43 of 67
Sony V6 as well... Got'em last spring.

My next pair of headphones are arriving soon, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back