Your first phones? The good ones.
Dec 24, 2001 at 2:39 AM Post #46 of 67
i forget the model # but they were the legendary sony "buddah-kahn" headphone tricky is always going on about. i got them when i was in high school in the mid eighties. everyone who tried them had the same reaction: "WOW!". they died a few years ago.. R.I.P.

Dec 24, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #47 of 67
The Koss Portapros that came with my PJB I got a few months ago. I never thought headphones could be as good as loudspeakers. These showed me otherwise.

Between me and my girlfriend we have the Portapros, 4 sets (!) of KSC-50s, and the 7506. I prefer the Koss' to the Sony's!

I'll have withing the next six weeks the AKG K-501s and either the HD600s or 580s (still deciding but leaning towards the 600s).

Dec 24, 2001 at 7:49 AM Post #48 of 67
Sony MDR-7506, it suprises me at least once a week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 9:45 AM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

ahh, the HD414's! I have a pair of those currently on loan...

My first set too and I've still got them! I picked them up in '79 or '80, I think.

Did you ever notice that when the pads on these go south, it happens like overnight? I mean one day you pick them up and the pads are completely shot. Luckily, there is an audio shop locally that carries the Senn replacement pads. I've replaced them maybe 3 or 4 times over the years but otherwise they're still going strong.

Dec 24, 2001 at 10:59 AM Post #50 of 67
The first GOOD phones I had to have after trying (they were light years ahead of anything else I'd heard at the time) were Sennheiser 414's, in the 70's, then 424's, then Sony V6's (broken by and subsequently stolen by the breakee), Denon 750's (closed, I hate them), Grado 325, Grado RS-1, and finally ETY 4S.

I believe this is referred to as 'the primrose path'.

Happy Holidays
cool.gif

Dec 25, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #54 of 67
My first good cans were the Sennheiser HD450's I got for around $75 almost exactly 10 years ago. First non-disposable cans, and I still have them. I replaced the foam on the earpads about four years ago, and that's the great thing about Sennheiser. If any parts are needed, they keep an inventory of NOS parts even for cans that have been out of production for years.

-Keith

Dec 25, 2001 at 11:55 AM Post #55 of 67
Grado SR 60's. Still have them. Still enjoy them. After listening to them I wounder how the RS-1,2's would sound.

Bob

Merry Christmas
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #56 of 67
Senn HD495's.

Gave them away to a friend after about a month and bought some Grado SR-325's and an amp. Still have those, along with Senn HD600's and my new acquisition, Sony CD3000's...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2001 at 1:23 AM Post #58 of 67
Sennheiser HD-495, a month ago. I never thought a headphone could sound that good. I was petrified with the deep bass, the many textures, the detail. I was using a little Sony MDR-34 for years. It was a lot better than many Walkman or Discman phones I heard, but now it seems a joke besides this wonder. I know there is many more in this head-fi world, but let me enjoy my baptism!

Dec 28, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #59 of 67
My first 'real' 'phones were Sennheiser HD-414's, purchased from Stereo Studio in Lincoln, Nebraska in the mid-70's.

I still use 'em everyday. They've survived an attack from a German Shepherd puppy, a bike trip across Iowa, and being 'borrowed' by numerous co-workers at the radio station.

The 414's are on their 4th set of earpads, and their 3rd cordset.

While they don't have an overwhelming amount of bass, they've still got a clarity that makes 'em my favorite. The open-air design makes it easy to hear clients doing in-studio production. They're comfy, too - and I wear 'em for hours.

I'm now looking at a set of HD-25SP's...

- Lyle

Dec 28, 2001 at 3:23 AM Post #60 of 67
Oh man, kb7yqx, kwkarth's gunna want to talk to you...
biggrin.gif

hey, yet ANOTHER oregonian! dang! Of course, you're about five hours away from the main contigent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back