Your first headphones?
Apr 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

takato14

Headphoneus Supremus
Simply, which headphones were the first you ever used? Excluding things like iBuds and the on-ear foam cheapies that come with walkmans, of course.

Mine were the KOSS K/6X Plus. Got them when I was 8, found them at a local garage sale for $5 and made my grandma buy them for me. Didn't actually get to use them until about 2 years later, when I found a (mono) 1/4" adapter. They weren't very comfy but my small ears were very happy with them. They're incredibly sturdy and light; I tossed and tangled them and never managed to break them. I still have them, and interestingly enough I still enjoy them from time to time, they're nothing special but they're better sounding than my M50 and they're pretty stylish. 

Anyone else?

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 29
It eludes me what model they were but I started on a old pair of Sony on ear headphones which were about $30 in 1994. They had a warm overall sound but not overly bassy. I've never been able to remember or find out what model they were as I was a kid at the time.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 29
Mine were the Ortho-Dynamic Yamahas.  I purchased them for $79 at around the time CDs were first introduced.  I was the first guy on the block to get a CD player... an NAD.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 29
In 1999, I asked a German friend who DJed what to buy and he said AKG, so I bought a K501. That one was destroyed in a flood in 2009. As it was out of production, I was forced to try new things.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 29
remember like it was yesterday...  I was a head-fier decades before there was such a thing.  Go back to 1984, I was 13 and I used my lawn mowing $$$ for this head-fi rig:

Sennheiser MiniStar100... these were made in Germany.  I wish I still had em.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 29
Wow, this takes me back a few years! For me, it was my Koss pro 4/AA.

Same here :D I must have been a wee lad of four years when my dad put them on my head and it was like getting zapped by pure magical euphoria as the sound new and unique traveled into my noggin as my first conscious awareness of body and mind oneness occurred.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 29
I'm baffled by how many of you guys actually recall the brand/model of your first headphones. First ones I know I got specifically were the V-Moda Bass Freq buds back in like 2006. Up until then it was whatever Sony or Phillips things I could get my hands on at the local department store. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 29
The first headphone I can remember buying, before I found Head-fi, was a Porta-Pro.  I remember buying a bunch of headphones at Circuit City...I returned the ones I didn't like and I kept the Porta-Pro.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 29
  I'm baffled by how many of you guys actually recall the brand/model of your first headphones. First ones I know I got specifically were the V-Moda Bass Freq buds back in like 2006. Up until then it was whatever Sony or Phillips things I could get my hands on at the local department store. 

Well for me it was that my first headphone (Koss Pro 4AA) stayed in the family all the way up to 1996 being passed on to me since no one else in the house was into headphones. By 1996 they were on their last legs but fortunately for me I was more into speakers back then. Then around 2004 I got myself a Koss UR-40 which I used on and off. It wasn't until I came across Head-Fi I got the Audio Technica ATH AD700 at JandR in New York City during 2007 that I really started using headphones on a regular basis and trying out different ones. Just got the HiFiMan HE-400 this past holiday season and they will probably be the end game for me.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 29
The Sennheiser PX360. Eventually broken via a hammer blow to the gimbal (don't even ask as I won't tell).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back