your feature requests for an "audiophile" DT 770?
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

leeperry

Galvanically isolated his brain
hi there,

so I've got these 770Pro/250, that I very much enjoy..especially for the price they cost
biggrin.gif

not perfect, but perfection costs money(JVC DX1k anyone?) and the ROI is not SO big.

I've quickly noticed that they would improve a great deal by recabling them w/ dual shielded OFC/SPC/etc...also adding dampening(wood) would also improve the SQ in a pretty drastic way, I guess the darth beyer exist for a very good reason.

anyhow, I had quite a few questions that I wanted to ask Beyer and I've pasted most of the answers Peter Grooff(Product Manager for Headzone/Headphones/Headsets/OEM ProAudio) gave me in this thread : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dif...9/#post5431306

so basically the 770 Consumer 2005 and the 770Pro/250 share the same exact drivers, only the headband pressure is higher on the Pro and the plastic/inner shape of the cups is also different.

after I recabled mine w/ some high end dual shielded "high resolution" OFC quad Real Cable, I let him know that they should really start offering good cabling so audiophiles don't have to break their warranty and recable them....look at the price of the MANUFAKTUR cans, and yet they come w/ a lousy unshielded cable
rolleyes.gif

anyway, he told me that he would consider releasing some "audiophile" grade DT 770, and that he would like to know what ppl would like to see in them.

We're not talking about ethiopian goat ear pads, cryo-silver blabla.....the ROI on these things is rather thin
biggrin.gif

mostly the idea would be to release cans that would fulfill most people needs, for an affordable price.

here's what I would like to see, feel free to correct me or -if you feel like it- let them know what YOU would like in a stock "audiophile" 770.

1)-some dul shielded 7N-OFC/OFC/OCC black nylon sleeved cable w/ a Neutrik 1/4" gold plated TRS(or SPC, I dunno whichever one sounds better on the 770?)
2)-some organic dampening(a layer of wood in the cups to make the sound more controlled than plastic or metal)
3)-black velours pads, or add a light gray boot to the Neutrik plug like I did to match the gray ear pads :
2d64_1.JPG

4)-offer both 32/600Ω, as these are not available in regular Pro versions(only MANUFAKTUR)...32 for portable use and 600 for home use w/o compromises

Peter Grooff says that the higher the impedance, the more transparent the sound gets :
Quote:

I expect the 32Ω version to sound less transparent than the 600Ω. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impulses...systems with higher impedances do the opposite.

and this thread says that the higher the impedance, the easier it is to drive
confused.gif

Headphone Impedance - [H]ard|Forum

PS: you can call me the beyer Peter Pinna if you like....I'll try to live up to the legend, j/k no offense
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 21
Pardon the question (as I really don't know): For #2, wouldn't a layer of dynamat be just as good (if not better) at damping but much cheaper than wood? If its used internally (I assume you mean inside the cup), it doesn't have to look nice.

Why don't headphone manufacturers use this stuff stock?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon the question (as I really don't know): For #2, wouldn't a layer of dynamat be just as good (if not better) at damping but much cheaper than wood? If its used internally (I assume you mean inside the cup), it doesn't have to look nice.

Why don't headphone manufacturers use this stuff stock?

good point, more tests would need to be made.
I personally tried aluminium, cork, noname sound proof damping and very thin layers of wood.
aluminium was way too bright, the trebles were horrible...but the bass a lot more controlled.
cork was sorta muffled.
the sound proof damping made the trebles pretty recessed....and the best results were w/ wood, which made the sound more airy, the bass was still very controlled and the trebles were delightful
smile_phones.gif

I guess it's a good balance reflections-wise, and a pretty drastic improvement over the stock 770Pro IMHO.

why don't they do it stock? coz it'd cost money I guess?

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 21
I just ordered my first Beyers (DT770/80).

I'm very anxious to hear them and I'd like to see a true "audiophile" model from Beyer.

All the things on the proposed list sound good. I can't take a $500 (much less $1000) set of cans too seriously if they come with a poor cable, so if Beyer introduced a higher priced model, I'd like to see a premium cable. A wood baffle or even wood cups would be great.

If 600ohm makes a better sounding phone, I say go with it.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered my first Beyers (DT770/80).

I'm very anxious to hear them and I'd like to see a true "audiophile" model from Beyer.
[...]
If 600ohm makes a better sounding phone, I say go with it.

give them some break-in w/ some bassy music at reasonable volume, Larry from headphile talks about 100/150H before even giving a listen.

after a few days it already sounds pretty damn good from my experience, but in the first hours the mids are not quite there.

I'm expecting some 600Ω drivers(thanks Peter!), so I'll try to give some feedback as I will mod my consumer 770 w/ them
smile_phones.gif

BTW, the light gray neutrik boot looks really great as it matches perfectly the color of the pads, and I will add black nylon sleeving on the OFC Real Cable to make it look even slicker...I'll try to post photos through the end of the week!

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the light gray neutrik boot looks really great as it matches perfectly the color of the pads, and I will add black nylon sleeving on the OFC Real Cable to make it look even slicker...I'll try to post photos through the end of the week!

That sounds nice. I'd love to see a pic when it's done. I just made a cable for my K701's with Jena Labs Ultrawire. I'm waiting for the Neutrik jack to get to me so I can get it installed. So far I've just braided the wire and tinned the leads, and secured everything with masking tape. I ordered the wire on Friday last week and it was in my mailbox Monday!!

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to see a pic when it's done.

I'll make some, no worries
wink.gif

the Impedance thingie is still pretty obscure to me
confused.gif

everyone keeps saying that the lower the impedance, the easier it is to drive...but amp manufacturers seem to say the exact opposite : Headphone Impedance - [H]ard|Forum

and Peter told me that the 600Ω would sound more transparent than the 32/250Ω :

Quote:

I expect the 32Ω version to sound less transparent than the 600Ω version. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impuls...systems with higher impedances do the opposite.

my soundcard has 3*JRC5532 opamps on the headphones out, and only one on the line out.

when I tried to connect my Sony cd3k(32Ω/104dB sensitivity) on the line out, I could hardly hear anything....and on the headphones out there wasn't any bass at all
redface.gif

it's a known fact that the cd3k requires some expensive amp to be properly driven.

the 770Pro/250 sounds great on the headphones out, and maybe even better on the line out...I'll have to try some more.

this "lower impedance=easier to drive" story seems to me like an urban legend...or maybe only on portable mp3 players w/ weak op-amps
confused.gif

I guess I'll know for sure w/ the 600Ω drivers
biggrin.gif

but everyone keeps saying that the 880/600 sounds more transparent than the 250, so I'm w/ Peter on this one :
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...pgrade-412516/

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 21
I A/Bed DT770 Pro/80s (stock version) with K701s, which are billed as "reference-grade, audiophile phones". I thought that the 770s were better by a pretty good margin. In my book, that makes them an audiophile product already.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I A/Bed DT770 Pro/80s (stock version) with K701s, which are billed as "reference-grade, audiophile phones". I thought that the 770s were better by a pretty good margin. In my book, that makes them an audiophile product already.

I'm looking for my new Beyers to be a compliment to my K701's. I want to have another phone with a balanced sound but I'm willing to trade some soundstage for the added bass response. I'd been considering Denon D5000's and Ultrasone Pro 900's, but decided, through lots of research, that the DT770's would fill the bill and save me some cash.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Why the Pro?
I think if Beyer could tame the highs of the DT770 2005 consumer editition, and give them a bit more mid bass, they would be unbeatable as an audiophile closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back