your feature requests for an "audiophile" DT 770?
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the Pro?
I think if Beyer could tame the highs of the DT770 2005 consumer editition, and give them a bit more mid bass, they would be unbeatable as an audiophile closed headphone.

hey Tiemen
wink.gif

that's what I plan on trying to do, I find the clamping on the Pro version a bit too strong to my taste....it makes the sound really too compressed and the bass overwhelming.

hopefully some wooden damping/recabling + 600Ω drivers will do wonders in the consumer version
smily_headphones1.gif

actually the Pro cups are fine, only the metal headband and the forks that hold the cups together would need to be borrowed from the consumer version(a la Musikmess 2005 limited edition)
redface.gif

as the BD tech support told me :

Quote:

Difference DT 770 PRO - DT 770

The DT 770 PRO is designed for use in studio and on stage for professional use.
The headband has a rugged construction and gives a secure fit for the listener. The retaining bracket for the ear cups is more angled than the Hifi-version. This provides a better fit and causes also a more powerful compressed sound which is necessary for professional applications in studio and FOH.

The DT 770 is designed for listening music and relax. The headband provides a long wearing comfort for hours. The Hifi-version has a more transparent and open sound than the DT 770 PRO.

The difference of both headphones are not huge in mechanical design, but only that small change causes a big difference in sound and application.

DT 990 PRO - DT 990 -very similar difference.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 21
OMG, I've just received my brand new consumer 770....do I really have to mod it ?
biggrin.gif

it doesn't clamp my head at all, the isolation is on par w/ the Pro version I think....the sound is not compressed, the bass not overwhelming, the bass is perfect, the upper spectrum very clean and the soundstage a tad wider.

I'm not even sure I wanna crack them open at this point
redface.gif

if they sound even better w/ recabling/dampening/break-in/600Ω drivers...I'm gonna be in for some major eargasm
alphat.gif

the Kill Bill 1 OST sounded delightful on my cd3k, pretty lousy on the 770Pro, and it's back again on the 770 consumer w/ a vengeance!

I use this plugin to make the upper spectrum a bit more sexy, I guess I should mention it :

spectralivenxt_screenshot.jpg

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG, I've just received my brand new consumer 770....do I really have to mod it ?
biggrin.gif

it doesn't clamp my head at all, the isolation is on par w/ the Pro version I think....the sound is not compressed, the bass not overwhelming, the bass is perfect, the upper spectrum very clean and the soundstage a tad wider.

I'm not even sure I wanna crack them open at this point
redface.gif

if they sound even better w/ recabling/dampening/break-in/600Ω drivers...I'm gonna be in for some major eargasm
alphat.gif

the Kill Bill 1 OST sounded delightful on my cd3k, pretty lousy on the 770Pro, and it's back again on the 770 consumer w/ a vengeance!

I use this plugin to make the upper spectrum a bit more sexy, I guess I should mention it :

spectralivenxt_screenshot.jpg

Good to hear! Congrats.
So you made a wise decision by buying the 2005 consumer edition
beerchug.gif

Enjoy them.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #19 of 21
thanks for your help Tiemen
wink.gif

the stock cable is very light and almost feels wireless
biggrin.gif
, I don't think I'm gonna use a heavy rubber sleeved replacement OFC cable this time.

I'm gonna go quad SPC in a nylon sleeve I think, just need to make up my mind on the gauge....plus silver plating is supposed to make the sound even more defined
smily_headphones1.gif

I think they are still improving, even my Dead Can Dance remastered CD's sound better than on the cd3k, and my 20bit HDCD's sound awesome too!
eek.gif

I've used them for a few hours now, and I think I can go completely bit-perfect...the upper spectrum seems to open up like it did on the Pro, except that it's not compressed nor agressive this time
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #20 of 21
for the pro...
better detail, better cable, smaller clamp force, better balance between cups. Would also prefer a pair that isnt filtering out background noise from 128kbps mp3s with that massive inverted spike on the freq graphs. >slightly< less muted highs would probably help too.
Less silibance. Less mid recession.
edit: also cables coming from both ear cups, because the clamp force is slightly uneven with the cable on just one.
PS as for the clamping on the pros, why not just remove the padded headband? Takes off a good cm or so.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds nice. I'd love to see a pic when it's done.

I've just installed the 600Ω drivers, AHMAGAD!!! now I know why some ppl on HCFR said they prefered their 770/600 over their 880/250, Skylab also praises it highly.

the upper spectrum was kinda dirty and not too clear on the 250Ω drivers, but this is now history! they're very transparent and as clean as can get, I run 100% bit-perfect, no more fussy VST plugin to warm the trebles up...and the soundstage has become HUGE
eek.gif

major kudos to QQQ, who saved my life twice in my 770 modding adventures!

and uber-kudos to Peter for all his technical and logistic help!

I think all that "low impedance=easier to drive, high impedance=very hard to drive" doesn't apply if you got some beefy op-amps(my soundcard has 3*JRC5532 on the headphones output). As explained in the link on the first page, amp manufacturers never give a max impedance but rather a min impedance.....feeding voltage is no issue, but feeding current is another story altogether
redface.gif

to sum up the thread subject, release some 770 Premium w/ 600Ω drivers and it'd be as audiophile as it could possibly get
smily_headphones1.gif

ok I'm off to listen to all my FLAC/HDCD's all over again
_vaadd_.gif

PS: the added bonus is that the 600Ω drivers are like 40% lighter than the 250Ω
L3000.gif

PS2: my remastered copy of "Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg" sounded lousy on the 250Ω, now it sounds even better than on the cd1k(same drivers as the cd3k)....the upper spectrum is very clear and clean(not harsh at all!), the soundstage much impressive & free of stray reflections(the 770 Premium cups are made in ABS) w/ the added value of the fantastic bass response these cans have been famous for(more bassy than the stock 250Ω)
acidfire.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back