Your favourite colour of LED?
Nov 25, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

I think some people might prefer whatever light a tube glows with to any LED

but with a "winky LED" for the standby or sequential turn-on mode
wink.gif

actually all of my tube gear is "under the hood".Another case where I refuse to follow the "gee don't they look cool on top" crew and go directly to what is safe around pets and children (both them AND the amp).
Sound Quality and Safety over Flash.an amazing concept in modern audio gear
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
actually all of my tube gear is "under the hood".Another case where I refuse to follow the "gee don't they look cool on top" crew and go directly to what is safe around pets and children (both them AND the amp).
Sound Quality and Safety over Flash.an amazing concept in modern audio gear
tongue.gif

Oh, no sticking out tubes ever! I just meant the glow being visible through heat dissipation slots!

Nov 26, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Oh, no sticking out tubes ever! I just meant the glow being visible through heat dissipation slots!

Got a pair of these in an amp (6F6) :

RCA1613.jpg

The Wife : " but they don't glow ! "
The Rick : "no but they sound good"
The Wife : "but they don't GLOW !"
The Rick :
rolleyes.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #51 of 62
MMmm.. A little Thinking Machines CM-5 action?

Nothing like an LED to tell you what one of your 32,500 processing elements is doing...

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #53 of 62
Top one is a CM-2, up to 64,000 processors (albiet very tiny one bit devices - 16 to a chip), the bottom one is a CM-5, that particular one had 512 processors (albiet very beefy processors, each based upon a Sparc 2 with 4 additional 64 bit vector processors - each processor as fast as the origional Cray-1) although in theory it could go to 4096. I have one of each!
600smile.gif
(Machines that is.)

If you watch Jurassic Park, look in the main control room (the one with fat boy at the computer) - there is a row of CM-5 cabinets in the background. On the CM-5 the LEDs were both on the processor boards and relayed onto a seperate panel - (of which I have 8) whilst on the CM-2 they were only on the processor cards.

Nov 28, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #54 of 62
I generally like blue or blue-violet if they are not overly bright. Can't stand the mega-bright blue led look.

But in the last year I found some neat orange leds that look a lot like a typical neon bulb, minus the flicker. Or like a heater element... both about the same color. I like that a lot, especially behind little jewel bezel.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #56 of 62
I'm new here,2nd post.

Hendrix said "The traffic lights they turn - Blue - tomorrow......"

Which may or may not be relevent. I voted for Purple, but I like all shades of blue...some I can't put into words.Depends on what they're on.

I do know that blue led's in the past were very expensive,white's too.

From a strictly technical,logical view: Streetlights.Red = stop. Amber = caution (standby), Green = Go. But as Jimi noticed, the streetlights are somewhat ambiguous, esp. when you're up close.A cross between green and blue.

Then there's 'the psychology of color' .Do a google. The darker type of blue means Royalty.Red is desire.Green is masculine.Orange is intelligent.Pink is !MUSIC! Black is Power,or Death. No Black LED's? They suck the light out of a room.LOL

Look at your CD's and see how many of them have pink on the front, back, spine....sometimes there's a rainbow of colors, yet pink is (almost) always there....AC/DC,Sawyer Brown,etc.

Live albums almost Always show a band under red light,mixed with white,and a little orange! The subtle effect is Pink.
This is most true on genre's of Hard Rock,Country(newer),Blues!(haha),avant-garde...."Pop".Less so on classical(my opinion). I don't know about hip-hop,not my thing.

But I voted for Purple ....Deep Purple (Royal Blue).

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

But in the last year I found some neat orange leds that look a lot like a typical neon bulb, minus the flicker. Or like a heater element... both about the same color. I like that a lot, especially behind little jewel bezel.

Quote:

but I also like amber.

HAH ! CONVERTS !!!!

Go team Retro !
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #58 of 62
Ya retro!
I love the look of the Atma-Sphere amps, and also some of the original Moth gear.

Nov 28, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
neons in amber lens rockers
tongue.gif

I just saw this post, Rick! That's it exactly. I love it.
For a long time, you had "amber" leds or yellow, only the amber was more like darker yellow. Some "orange" leds are really more like red-orange. But they do have other orange leds that are a LOT like an NE2 bulb. Cool.

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

I love the look of the Atma-Sphere amps, and also some of the original Moth gear

great looking products.All that pure MASS plus he-man sized controls and indicators
icon10.gif

I don't want my gear to look "toyish" or "tacky Techy" but want it to go more to the glory days of audio where big mamma humper Theater Amplifiers ruled and even a cheesy factory P.A. system amp had style.

miniaturisation may be fine for the "on the go" rig but at home I want my equipment to weigh more than the interconnects which surprisingly much does not plus will take a "soft glow" as a reminder to turn something off over YES I AM ON DAMMIT blinding light every time.choices babe.what adds the "Y" to DIY
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back