Your favorite W3 Tips
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #121 of 142
For those who experienced sibilance with the W3, what tips do you use to overcome the problem. I'm on the verge of selling mind unless I can fix the sibilance.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #122 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4visphu0ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who experienced sibilance with the W3, what tips do you use to overcome the problem. I'm on the verge of selling mind unless I can fix the sibilance.

Complys foam tips, triple flange cut shorter at the stalk, Westone UM56 custom tips, and altering how deep or shallow you insert them.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #124 of 142
I'm using the comply now and it seems to fix the problem a bit but I need something that can last more than one month of abuse. Complys and Olives are not cheap here in Vietnam.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #125 of 142
de-core the shortest comply tips, and use the core to put on sony hybrids. sony hybrids work wonders with the Westone 3's. Great comfort, and they sound just right. With complys, I find that the highs are too muffled. The hybrids maintain the highs and there is hardly any sibilance. If there is sibilance present, it is probably due to the source.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #126 of 142
^ Interesting. I just ordered some Klipsch tips to try and use (on my last pair of included Comply's now) so once I get those I'll be able to compare. Using solely the comply's though I like them; amazing comfort and great isolation. Problem is they get kinda... yucky after a while and they cost money :/

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #128 of 142
I'm still on a search for a good W3 tip. For now at best W3 sound on par or worse than my Pana HJE900. Tips so far:

* Tall Complys - best fit and comfort and no sibilance but muffled and overly dark sound. Give up quite fast.

* Moded tri-flanges - good isolation and no sibilance but uncomfortable and still somewhat veiled mids and highs

* Medium olives - little isolation, weak buss and screechy highs

* Rest of stock tips - either can't fit or no isolation

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #130 of 142
Thanks Lucozade. I don't have now Monster double-flange supertips but inspired by your post did a next best thing. I circumcised Ety tri-flanges cutting off the top flange and also cut off the millimiter or two from the stem making them effectively double-flanges. Versus stem-less tri-flanges DIY double-flanged indeed ballanced the sound a bit opening detail while still keeping sibilance under control. Some tracks sound simply gorgeous now on W3 with incredible detail and ambience and female vocals are to die for. Still no cigar - other tracks, especially fast rock and metal, are still boomy and too warm in mids. Maybe I'll buy some supertips but for me jury on W3 vs Panas HJE is still out. So far I see them as at least $200 overpriced.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #131 of 142
Not got the 3's but got the twos.  So far either p series complys or modded biflange but neither are perfect.  Seriously considering getting them reshelled by fisher, but not sure if they are worth it.  Mind you after the expense of buying the various tips it would have probably covered the process anyway!

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #132 of 142
Is there a point in doing custom mold sleeves for W3? I mean W3 plus the mold would probably buy comparable or better in SQ custom IEM or not?

And in general which companies here in US do the sleeves for W3?

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #133 of 142

Quote:
Is there a point in doing custom mold sleeves for W3? I mean W3 plus the mold would probably buy comparable or better in SQ custom IEM or not?

And in general which companies here in US do the sleeves for W3?

sleeves...let's see, 1964 ears, maybe kozeesoundsolutions, though there website says they are intended for earbuds...http://kozeesolutions.com/

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #134 of 142

Quote:
this is the way to go with the w3 ,duel monster supertips ,no sibilance and fantastic deep powerful bass , great mids and bright yet controlled treble .

There are double-flanged ones or you made that?  If made, how?  =o

Looks like fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back