Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #301 of 323
Anyone tried Denon AH-D7200 with an OTL tube amp? Looking for some closed back for my Feliks Echo.
I already have the Aeon 2 Noire but those are a terrible match with my Feliks. :p

What would you recommend? D7200? DT1770 Pro? Or maybe Focal Elegia?
If you want something that's a perfect match for an OTL tube amp in that price range I highly suggest a used ZMF Atticus or Eikon.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #302 of 323
Anyone tried Denon AH-D7200 with an OTL tube amp? Looking for some closed back for my Feliks Echo.
I already have the Aeon 2 Noire but those are a terrible match with my Feliks. :p

Personally I have yet to hear any Focal that meets my preferences, but in general an OTL amp will work better with higher impedance headphones, i.e. I'd go with the DT1770 out of these three on that alone. Plus I think the tonality of the DT1770 might work well with a bit of warmth from tubes.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #303 of 323
HD 600, HD 800/S (if you like orchestral or big band), DT 1770, DT 1990, ZMF dynamics.

Not the D7200, no, it's a low impedance dynamic. In general they don't pair well with OTL amplifiers. Also not the Focal, same problem.

edited: sorry, after I posted I saw that @Dawgfish and @plakat already gave good advice.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #304 of 323
HD 600, HD 800/S (if you like orchestral or big band), DT 1770, DT 1990, ZMF dynamics.

Not the D7200, no, it's a low impedance dynamic. In general they don't pair well with OTL amplifiers. Also not the Focal, same problem.

edited: sorry, after I posted I saw that @Dawgfish and @plakat already gave good advice.

Well the Elegias are considered as I think my Focal Clear OG sounds wonderful with my Feliks Echo mkII!
And yes I have looked at ZMF but they are a bit too pricey!

Dec 13, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #305 of 323
This Ultrasone Signature Master has to be the best sub 1K closed back I have heard so far.

They are really amazing! The midrange is fantastic (can't believe this is an Ultrasone), bass kicks deep, the imaging is stellar. Sleeper headphone.

I am so impressed with this one! A beauty too!

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 2.46.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #306 of 323

I think I'd see if there's a new or used ZMF in your price range to go with that Feliks... I really like Focal's, but they're not my first choice with an OTL...

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #307 of 323
Hey y'all, I'm on the market for the first time in years - long enough that I no longer have access to my old Head-Fi account, and my familiarity with new models (and new manufacturers) over the last eight years or so is next to zero. In the time that's passed, I've moved from a solo office setup to one that I share with my spouse, and done away with all my open-back headphones. It's time to upgrade my current setup, a TEAC HA-P50 -> AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon that I picked up on a whim from a local audio shop a few years ago. I already have some strong preferences for source gear, but I feel like I've become untethered from up-to-date knowledge of the headphone market. I'd spend up to $1,000 on a pair, with no preference for new vs. used.

My preference has traditionally been to pair a clean, neutral DAC and amp with a warm, somewhat bright pair of headphones with big soundstage. For instance, one of the happiest chains I ever had was with a JDS Labs ODAC/O2 combo driving a Sennheiser HD 650. I also enjoyed my time with a MrSpeakers Mad Dog v3.2; its planar magnetic drivers rendered bass with plenty of taut detail, but without sucking all the impact and feeling out of that lower range. I'd love to find a pair of closed headphones with warmth somewhat like an HD650, resolution sparkle like the Mad Dog, and as wide a soundstage I can get in closed-back form. My brain is easily impressed by sonic spaciousness - despite the fact that it's not as good as my NightOwl Carbon in pretty much any other area, I still sometimes find myself picking up my Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z to immerse myself inside what I'm listening to.

Aside from sound signature, the only other major factor for me is long-term comfort. That's very subjective, of course, but I tend to prefer stuff that's built like a classic open-backed Sennheiser or Audio-Technica model, with wide suede earpads that distribute pressure well. I'm also fine with deep leather earpads like the ones on my current NightOwl Carbon, especially if paired with a suspension headband system. I'd like to avoid shallow DJ/studio monitor-type earpads, if possible.

Anybody have thoughts? I'm easing back into the community after a long time away, and the last time I was active on Head-Fi I was mostly an open-back listener, so it's odd to not have a strong sense of where to go with my needs right now.

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #308 of 323
Hey y'all, I'm on the market for the first time in years - long enough that I no longer have access to my old Head-Fi account, and my familiarity with new models (and new manufacturers) over the last eight years or so is next to zero. In the time that's passed, I've moved from a solo office setup to one that I share with my spouse, and done away with all my open-back headphones. It's time to upgrade my current setup, a TEAC HA-P50 -> AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon that I picked up on a whim from a local audio shop a few years ago. I already have some strong preferences for source gear, but I feel like I've become untethered from up-to-date knowledge of the headphone market. I'd spend up to $1,000 on a pair, with no preference for new vs. used.

My preference has traditionally been to pair a clean, neutral DAC and amp with a warm, somewhat bright pair of headphones with big soundstage. For instance, one of the happiest chains I ever had was with a JDS Labs ODAC/O2 combo driving a Sennheiser HD 650. I also enjoyed my time with a MrSpeakers Mad Dog v3.2; its planar magnetic drivers rendered bass with plenty of taut detail, but without sucking all the impact and feeling out of that lower range. I'd love to find a pair of closed headphones with warmth somewhat like an HD650, resolution sparkle like the Mad Dog, and as wide a soundstage I can get in closed-back form. My brain is easily impressed by sonic spaciousness - despite the fact that it's not as good as my NightOwl Carbon in pretty much any other area, I still sometimes find myself picking up my Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z to immerse myself inside what I'm listening to.

Aside from sound signature, the only other major factor for me is long-term comfort. That's very subjective, of course, but I tend to prefer stuff that's built like a classic open-backed Sennheiser or Audio-Technica model, with wide suede earpads that distribute pressure well. I'm also fine with deep leather earpads like the ones on my current NightOwl Carbon, especially if paired with a suspension headband system. I'd like to avoid shallow DJ/studio monitor-type earpads, if possible.

Anybody have thoughts? I'm easing back into the community after a long time away, and the last time I was active on Head-Fi I was mostly an open-back listener, so it's odd to not have a strong sense of where to go with my needs right now.
If you like the NightOwl, you should really like the Kennerton Gjallarhorn. While a closed back, it is more spacious than many open backs. It is a somewhat darker signature though, but everything sounds on point to my ears.
You might also enjoy the Focal Clear MG, which is a tad brighter in the upper frequencies. Even though an open back, the headroom is about on par with the Gjallarhorn.
These are my two favorite cans atm, with the lesser expensive Ibasso SR2 right behind. This headphone punches way above it's price point imo.
A used Denon ah-d9200 is also a fantastic headphone, especially if you want a little more life in the presence region. These are my four keepers, and I've been through quite a few. Next up will be the new Meze 109 Pro.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #309 of 323
If you like the NightOwl, you should really like the Kennerton Gjallarhorn. While a closed back, it is more spacious than many open backs. It is a somewhat darker signature though, but everything sounds on point to my ears.
You might also enjoy the Focal Clear MG, which is a tad brighter in the upper frequencies. Even though an open back, the headroom is about on par with the Gjallarhorn.
These are my two favorite cans atm, with the lesser expensive Ibasso SR2 right behind. This headphone punches way above it's price point imo.
A used Denon ah-d9200 is also a fantastic headphone, especially if you want a little more life in the presence region. These are my four keepers, and I've been through quite a few. Next up will be the new Meze 109 Pro.
I'm finding out a couple pieces of news from these recommendations - that Fischer Audio now has a premium brand (Kennerton) that they pour major R&D into (I used to have a FA-003, which was essentially a generic whitelabel product with some tweaks), and that iBasso expanded beyond DAPs at one point or another (I used to have a DX80 that was my primary portable source during a time when I frequently worked from coffee shops).

I think I'd enjoy something just a little brighter than the NightOwl right now, so while the Gjallarhorn seems like a cool product, I might need to look elsewhere. Any idea how Focal's closed-back models compare to the Clear MG in terms of signature and soundstage?

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #310 of 323
I'm finding out a couple pieces of news from these recommendations - that Fischer Audio now has a premium brand (Kennerton) that they pour major R&D into (I used to have a FA-003, which was essentially a generic whitelabel product with some tweaks), and that iBasso expanded beyond DAPs at one point or another (I used to have a DX80 that was my primary portable source during a time when I frequently worked from coffee shops).

I think I'd enjoy something just a little brighter than the NightOwl right now, so while the Gjallarhorn seems like a cool product, I might need to look elsewhere. Any idea how Focal's closed-back models compare to the Clear MG in terms of signature and soundstage?
The Gj isn't as dark as the NightOwl. It's just not what most would consider bright, but most everyone considers the NightOwl dark.
The Radiance is a pretty good headphone, but I honestly felt that it didn't do anything special that stood out. It's an easy listen with good tuning. Aside from the Clear MG and the Radiance, I've found every other Focal headphone I've heard was too metallic and splashy. Different ears, different opinions.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #311 of 323

If you like closed cans, maybe take a look at Fostex TH900MK2, though I have no idea how these work with OTL amps!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 15, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #312 of 323
If you like closed cans, maybe take a look at Fostex TH900MK2, though I have no idea how these work with OTL amps!
In general not a good pairing due to the low impedance of the Fostex drivers… OTL prefers high impedance loads

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #313 of 323

That is interesting that you note Gjallarhorn as a darker sounding headphone.

From what I recall reading about them was that they are a fairly aggressive sounding headphone with a strong low end and strong, pushed highs as well.

I have never tried them though so I cannot say.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #314 of 323
That is interesting that you note Gjallarhorn as a darker sounding headphone.

From what I recall reading about them was that they are a fairly aggressive sounding headphone with a strong low end and strong, pushed highs as well.

I have never tried them though so I cannot say.
Nah. I also own the Denon ah-d9200. This headphone pushes the high end above neutral. It's a nice contrast going between the two sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back