Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Sep 25, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #136 of 323
So today I had the chance to briefly listen to both the Focal Elegia and the LCD-2 CB, and these are my impressions, with the very obvious caveat that I didn’t have much time, so they’re very superficial....

I preferred the LCD. Considerably richer, great bottom end and without the somewhat shouty upper mids and low highs of the Elegia. I found it a bit lacking at the top but was able to use treble boost on my Vorzuge Duo to get more out of it. Conversely, the bass boost on the Elegia still didn’t give you a visceral experience on bass-heavy tracks, although the Elegia does have beautifully clear mids and great detail for a closed back.

Overall though, I was shocked by how compromised both were by being closed backs... I’ve owned and tried masses of CBs down the years, and am aware of course of the weaknesses they face, but even these cans, close to the top of the tree, have some fairly glaring flaws... the LCD’s imaging and soundstage is only so-so, even for a closed, and the Elegia is somewhat wearing and over-emphasised in its upper register, presumably to help create a sense of resolution and space. Now don’t get me wrong, they weren’t bad at all, but not stellar, and not worthy of their price, for me, even taking into account the silly money we pay in this hobby. My Heir Audio 8.0s iems run rings round both of them in terms of detail, imaging, bass control and an overall coherent signature, and even my very midfi oBravo Cupids, which I slipped into my ears just after the listening session, basically offered everything the LCD did, in a tiny package, and arguably with better bass control and imaging.

I have very limited experience with open cans, beyond my Fidelio X2s, but I must say, my conclusion from today’s brief foray is that iems have come SUCH a long way in recent years, that unless it’s for comfort/aesthetic reasons, it seems hard to justify big bucks on closed cans, if sound quality is the ultimate aim. This is of course my own opinion only,YMMV, and I am still going to try to find a closed can I can get on with, but after several years of looking, I’m much less inclined to simply head up-market, and I may just have to accept that my end-game closed back isn’t out there after all.

Sep 25, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #137 of 323
Is the T5p2 different from the T5p? I bought a T5p and sold it within a day because it legitimately sounded like an AM radio. I thought it was just a bad unit but I heard another one and it sounded pretty similar.

Yes, T5p.2 has a different tuning: more bass, less treble. Nowhere near an AM radio. An HD600 sounds like an AM radio in direct comparison.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #138 of 323
Yes, T5p.2 has a different tuning: more bass, less treble. Nowhere near an AM radio. An HD600 sounds like an AM radio in direct comparison.

That’s almost just as concerning; the HD600 has displaced a lot of flagship headphones for me because it sounds so correct in many ways that other headphones aren’t that if the going back to the HD600 sounds off after using the T5p2, then it must be incredibly colored.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #140 of 323
Wonder if anyone might be able to advise... I currently own the Shure SRH1540, and love their spacious sound and details, but less keen on the mid-bass hump and slight boominess they seem prone to.... I am toying with either the Sonorous VI or the Aeon Flow Closed. Has anyone tried all three of these cans and could advise? My music taste is fairly eclectic, although it feels like I listen to a fair amount of classical with my full-sized cans. thanks in advance!

Oh boy... I loved the final audio sound but their line of headphones are some of the most uncomfortable I've ever tried. To each their own, but at meets I would hear the same feedback from others quite frequently. Super disappointing because it really is a fantastic sound.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #141 of 323
Oh boy... I loved the final audio sound but their line of headphones are some of the most uncomfortable I've ever tried. To each their own, but at meets I would hear the same feedback from others quite frequently. Super disappointing because it really is a fantastic sound.
With the Shure 1540 pads they’re quite comfortable. With stock pads they aren’t. The C type pads from Final also greatly improve comfort. As they can be found used for $400, they’re pretty darn good closed backs.

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #142 of 323
With the Shure 1540 pads they’re quite comfortable. With stock pads they aren’t. The C type pads from Final also greatly improve comfort. As they can be found used for $400, they’re pretty darn good closed backs.

I remember I swapped out the stock pads for ones from ZMF and it was definitely an improvement, but still not enough to make me forget about the discomfort. For reference, I also had the Focal Elear, Beyer Amiron, and Sony Z7M2 and those were infinitely more comfortable.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #143 of 323
That’s almost just as concerning; the HD600 has displaced a lot of flagship headphones for me because it sounds so correct in many ways that other headphones aren’t that if the going back to the HD600 sounds off after using the T5p2, then it must be incredibly colored.

Well, HD600 is very flat and doesn't have a best resolution. T5P.2 is more extended in bass and treble, has better resolution and better 3d-imaging with a larger soundstage, even though it's a closed phone. I use and like both, both have their strong sides...

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #144 of 323
So today I had the chance to briefly listen to both the Focal Elegia and the LCD-2 CB, and these are my impressions, with the very obvious caveat that I didn’t have much time, so they’re very superficial....

I preferred the LCD. Considerably richer, great bottom end and without the somewhat shouty upper mids and low highs of the Elegia. I found it a bit lacking at the top but was able to use treble boost on my Vorzuge Duo to get more out of it. Conversely, the bass boost on the Elegia still didn’t give you a visceral experience on bass-heavy tracks, although the Elegia does have beautifully clear mids and great detail for a closed back.

Overall though, I was shocked by how compromised both were by being closed backs... I’ve owned and tried masses of CBs down the years, and am aware of course of the weaknesses they face, but even these cans, close to the top of the tree, have some fairly glaring flaws... the LCD’s imaging and soundstage is only so-so, even for a closed, and the Elegia is somewhat wearing and over-emphasised in its upper register, presumably to help create a sense of resolution and space. Now don’t get me wrong, they weren’t bad at all, but not stellar, and not worthy of their price, for me, even taking into account the silly money we pay in this hobby. My Heir Audio 8.0s iems run rings round both of them in terms of detail, imaging, bass control and an overall coherent signature, and even my very midfi oBravo Cupids, which I slipped into my ears just after the listening session, basically offered everything the LCD did, in a tiny package, and arguably with better bass control and imaging.

I have very limited experience with open cans, beyond my Fidelio X2s, but I must say, my conclusion from today’s brief foray is that iems have come SUCH a long way in recent years, that unless it’s for comfort/aesthetic reasons, it seems hard to justify big bucks on closed cans, if sound quality is the ultimate aim. This is of course my own opinion only,YMMV, and I am still going to try to find a closed can I can get on with, but after several years of looking, I’m much less inclined to simply head up-market, and I may just have to accept that my end-game closed back isn’t out there after all.

And now comes the climb down... today I had the chance to try the Sony MDR z7 mk2s. I really was not expecting much, and I very rarely buy new audio gear. After 30 seconds I had a silly grin on my face, and half an hour later I had my credit card out. Brilliant cans. Not adventurous maybe, but good grief they do everything well... not a massive soundstage, but deep and with exceptional imaging. Nimble bass, even if it isn’t huge, great mids, and highs with all the details you can wish for... if you listen for it. They’re also supremely comfortable. Truly surprised and truly impressed. Turns out closed backs can sing!

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #145 of 323
And now comes the climb down... today I had the chance to try the Sony MDR z7 mk2s. I really was not expecting much, and I very rarely buy new audio gear. After 30 seconds I had a silly grin on my face, and half an hour later I had my credit card out. Brilliant cans. Not adventurous maybe, but good grief they do everything well... not a massive soundstage, but deep and with exceptional imaging. Nimble bass, even if it isn’t huge, great mids, and highs with all the details you can wish for... if you listen for it. They’re also supremely comfortable. Truly surprised and truly impressed. Turns out closed backs can sing!

Looks like there might be a MDR-Z1R in your future.

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #147 of 323
Under $500- Ultrasone Signature DXP
Under $1000- Ultrasone Signature DXP with an Oyaide HPC-35HD598 cable :ksc75smile:

Oct 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #148 of 323
Under $500- Ultrasone Signature DXP
Under $1000- Ultrasone Signature DXP with an Oyaide HPC-35HD598 cable :ksc75smile:

Nice to see the Ultrasones getting a bit of love, they're great phones, and get surprisingly little recognition on here. Although I have just sold mine... Rock solid build and decent sound, but comfort wasn't great, and found the imaging a little flat compared to a few other closed backs I've tried recently. I am definitely nitpicking though... :)

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #149 of 323

I had a very similar experience and ended up getting these as well!

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #150 of 323
Got in the Beyerdynamic DT-177X recently... and going to say they are my new standard for closed-backs. Sorry Fostex TH-X00 PH and Argons... Very much remind me of the Etymotic ER3XRs and STAX SR-L300 Limiteds I have... balanced, nice separation, extremely clear and detailed, slightly bright but not really fatiguing. Isolation also second only to the ER3XRs. Using the leather pads with some Loki EQ...
i-hnCDH3V.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back