Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Apr 30, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #107 of 323
Jul 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #108 of 323
B&W P9 Signature. It has an Incredible sense of space and 3 dimensional soundstage, the likes of which i've never heard from any other sub $1,000 closed-back or open-back headphone, and i've heard many..
I've had the P9 Signature for a week now and i'm still trying to get used to it's sound. I don't know if I ever will.
My goal is to buy an open-back headphone around $1,000 - $1,500 (HD800/S, Focal Clear or Beyerdynamic T1) and pair it with a really good amp, and see if it can match what the P9 Signature can do with just basic amplification..

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #109 of 323
B&W P9 Signature. It has an Incredible sense of space and 3 dimensional soundstage, the likes of which i've never heard from any other sub $1,000 closed-back or open-back headphone, and i've heard many..
I've had the P9 Signature for a week now and i'm still trying to get used to it's sound. I don't know if I ever will.
My goal is to buy an open-back headphone around $1,000 - $1,500 (HD800/S, Focal Clear or Beyerdynamic T1) and pair it with a really good amp, and see if it can match what the P9 Signature can do with just basic amplification..
Have you heard the AKG 872’s?

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #110 of 323
Have you heard the AKG 872’s?
No i've not heard the K872 yet. Actually thank you for mentioning the K872 as I completely forgot about it's existence, lol. The most expensive open-back headphone i've ever heard/owned was the Sennheiser HD700. If the K872 is an upgrade from the HD700 I would definitely consider buying it.

EDIT: I've just realized that the K872 is a closed-back headphone, I was thinking of the K812. I don't think I would buy the K872 now because I have the P9 Signature. It would be cool to compare the two though.
The most expensive closed-back headphone i've ever heard was the Beyerdynamic T5P. I no longer own it but I remember it's sound signature/sound quality very well and the P9 Signature is better, imo.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #111 of 323
My favorite is the extinct Denon AH-D7100. Most Denon fans didn't like this particular model either for looks, build quality, or tonal balance (too much bass). But I loved the sound overall and the outstanding comfort. Especially good for rock or electronica. It wasn't the last word in midrange detail, but clarity across the spectrum was excellent as was soundstaging for a closed back. BTW, the similar AH-D600 provided about 85% of the sound quality for less than half the price of the AH-D7100.

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #112 of 323
Sorry but I thought this thread was for closed back headphones but I see you have switched.

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #113 of 323
My favorite is the extinct Denon AH-D7100. Most Denon fans didn't like this particular model either for looks, build quality, or tonal balance (too much bass). But I loved the sound overall and the outstanding comfort. Especially good for rock or electronica. It wasn't the last word in midrange detail, but clarity across the spectrum was excellent as was soundstaging for a closed back. BTW, the similar AH-D600 provided about 85% of the sound quality for less than half the price of the AH-D7100.
How do you quantify 85 % just asking as I don’t have that ability to make percentages on how something sounds better than others.

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #114 of 323
How do you quantify 85 % just asking as I don’t have that ability to make percentages on how something sounds better than others.
You're right, that's pretty silly. Let's say the D600 was almost as good as the D7100. I used to own both but gave the D600 to a friend. My recollection is that the differences (D7100 had a little better clarity and imaging) were more apparent with better electronics, but the overall sound signature was pretty much identical.

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #115 of 323
If you were to say this one has better bass or better high end then that would be more helpful but percentages better are not as much as I would think how are these better than those on a frequency response and how you perceive it.

Jul 8, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #116 of 323
Easy answer, the final Sonorous VI with upgraded cables. This singular design—a hybrid using a dynamic driver for the bass and a balanced armature for the mids and trebles—is a spectacular sounding headphone for $699 + upgrade cables. I’m using my final D8000 cables for my VI and this takes it to the next level.

Another contender is the Massdrop (or just Drop now) Sennheiser HD 8XX whenever it is released. I imagine the drop price will be around $800 or less. Saving up for that one ...

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #117 of 323
For me, right now, the Sony MDR-Z7+balanced Kimber cable is amazing. I can’t get over how much that Kimber cable has transformed the Z7 into something really special for me. I’m running it out of a DAP too! Insane.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #118 of 323
Another contender is the Massdrop (or just Drop now) Sennheiser HD 8XX whenever it is released. I imagine the drop price will be around $800 or less. Saving up for that one ...

^This is a joke, right? I remember an April Fool's joke with this idea a couple years back...
Anyhow, my favorite closed back under $1000 are the Focal Elegias... tried a bunch of headphones, ended up with those.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #119 of 323
^This is a joke, right? I remember an April Fool's joke with this idea a couple years back...
Anyhow, my favorite closed back under $1000 are the Focal Elegias... tried a bunch of headphones, ended up with those.

No, I meant it as a likely possibility that there will be a drop on the HD 800 at some point. I’m reminded I shouldn’t have included this potential model because it is an open back, not closed as the OP had requested.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #120 of 323
Elegia's for me too... they isolate pretty well, and especially well at the frequency range of most of my environmental noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back