Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Jul 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #121 of 323
Elegia's for me too... they isolate pretty well, and especially well at the frequency range of most of my environmental noise

Not to mention how clean and clear everything sounds through them. The only others I've heard in this price range that competes are the Aeon and Ether C (used, or CX--assuming the signature is similar enough), but they sounded a bit more "lifeless" to my ears...

Jul 12, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #122 of 323
I don't hesitate in recommend the Takstar Pro 82 even despite the price difference, they sound fantastically clear and balanced while being extremely comfortable with great build quality for such a low price.

Hell, even the design and the metallic box that come with these are great and better than another expensive stuff out there...

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #125 of 323
Bose NC 700 in a sonic tie with the Bowers & Wilkins NC PX

But, this is only a reality if both are used without the ANC on.
= Wired only.
Once you turn on the ANC the EQ'ing ruins them both, and in my opinion, its not a good sound at all.
So, as WIRED Headphones, without the ANC turned on, these are not too bad.
I'll soon have the Jabra 85H's to appraise and perhaps i'll like their sound even more... but, can't tell just yet.
Im not interested in the Sony XM3's as they are tonally designed with too much bass. This is consistently reported by "pro" reviewers and many others who love them and reviewed them all over the web.

As compared to the B&W PX, the Bose has a slightly wider soundstage and their mids are a touch more pronounced, where as the B&W PX's have a touch more overall resolution.
The Bose are a LOT more comfortable.
The B&W's are more complicated to use with a wire, are borderline uncomfortable to wear as their pads are thin, (Think Sine's) as they must be powered "ON" at all times to use with wire or without. = What happens when all these rechargeable headphones need a battery?
That is when you'll discover that you'll buy them 2x to have them repaired once.
Both the Bose and the B&W sound pretty good with a wire, and both sound pretty bad once their ANC activates their "base" EQ sound.
What's wrong with them both? Well, the Bose have a somewhat hollow midrange, cuppy, similar to most closed Beyerdynamic's, and the B&W PX's, are a bit too bright, overall and are not fun to wear.

So, what sounds better then both of those?
That's easy...

> Monolith M565C

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #126 of 323
Wonder if anyone might be able to advise... I currently own the Shure SRH1540, and love their spacious sound and details, but less keen on the mid-bass hump and slight boominess they seem prone to.... I am toying with either the Sonorous VI or the Aeon Flow Closed. Has anyone tried all three of these cans and could advise? My music taste is fairly eclectic, although it feels like I listen to a fair amount of classical with my full-sized cans. thanks in advance!

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #127 of 323
To meet the $1000 criteria, I'd have to go with the TH-X00's.

If we allow 5% wiggle room, then the LCD-XCs. Had a 20% coupon bringing it down to a few bucks over the limit. First time I've broken my rule of not buying cans over $1K...very glad I did. :)

Best value for closed cans <$1000 that I own would probably go to the 1More Triple Over-Ears ($100 late last year) -- nice sound for the $$$

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #128 of 323
I enjoyed the Focal Elegia, B&O H6 Gen 2, Fostex TH900mk2 and HD820. I felt they were great closed backs.
(ive tried the Stellia, but prefer the Elegia for some reason.)

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #130 of 323
I am trying to figure out if I want to save up for the Verite Closed or just go with a pair of ZMF Atticus.

My AFC's are not as bass slammy as I had hoped even with a proper amp/DAC and I do indeed miss having some of that shaky feeling without the need of a software based EQ.

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #133 of 323
T5p.2 is close to a perfect closed headphone in my book. Light, robust, good (though not perfect) isolation, very mobile. Slightly u-shaped frequency responce with nice extention in bass and transparent yet not too elevated treble. Very open sound for a closed headphone with very complex layering and nice 3d imaging... The only negative thing about them - they are a bit critical in terms of source because of already u-shaped responce, and they are not very forgiving. But if you found a good source for your taste, or with a little eq, they are very good...

Sep 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #134 of 323
I vastly prefer the sheepskin pads over the velour. The stock velour pads are WAY too firm. Especially for those that wear glasses like I do. The sheepskin are plush and seal great even when wearing my glasses so I am a bit biased in that regard.

Also, they are the same size as any Fostex TH600/900 round pads so I had a fun time going through that as well. Angled pads didn't yield much difference at all to me staging wise but these were short listening tests as I swapped through everything.

The issue with pad fit is most pads have too much material on the lip to nest and fit in the ring on the headphone. You can pop the ring off to my knowledge but that's more of a hassle to me. You can just pull them over the driver housing and they stay in ace just fine and otherwise don't exhibit any shortcomings. I wouldn't even bother with the ring for other style pads unless you're OCD and just HAVE to have the cleanest look possible.
Jay,

Greatly appreciate your comments and opinions on this headphone, and convincing me to pull the trigger on them. I just got them yesterday and they are excellent! I really like my H6 but these are a step up for sure and will probably become the new office headphone.

They actually sound quite a bit warmer than I expected, and I’m glad to say my fears were relieved about the Beyer treble coming back to haunt me. You can still hear the peaks and the edginess on some recordings but they are much more toned down compared to the 770 I used to have. These are much more tolerable, and more natural overall. Strangely, despite the H6 having a more even treble, some music actually sounds brighter through them compared to the 177X. Some of the recordings I had trouble with are better through these.

Thank you for recommending the Slappa case as well, just ordered one! These are excellent headphones for the money, they aren’t getting much discussion but hopefully soon folks will catch on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back