Your favorite of the LONG Progressive Rock anthems?
Aug 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 60
All Colossus project in lossless format exspacially Odyssey - The Greatest Tale
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 60
My newest fav. is short of the minimum but Marillion's "Ocean Cloud" is deserving of mention with these classics.

Tough call between the two Pink Floyd offerings. I'm going with Shine On though.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 60
I voted for Close to the Edge, because it just looked lonely and is a terriffic side that is just one of the greats. Some other favorites are on your list:

Tales - Yes
Thick as a Briick & Passion Play - Tull
Amarok - Oldfield
Remember the Future - Nektar
Suppers Ready - Genesis (from the Live album though)
Tarkus & KE9 suite - ELP
Stardust We Are - Flower Kings
The Way Up - Pat Metheny (prog jazz, not prog rock, but just awesome)
Scheherazade - Renaissance

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 60
Ahh, there are so many excellent prog rock anthems excessing the duration of 20 minutes. Pretty much any Tangerine Dream album of the 70s could be put there, and Mike Oldfield's respective albums too. But since Echoes is a 23-minute masterpiece that's not only the best long prog rock piece, but is probably the best piece ever made, the choice is clear to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 60
Renaissance: SCHEHERAZADE AND OTHER STORIES

Specifically the entire album, but track 4: Song Of Scheherazade: (24:52) certainly qualities.

Although Echoes ranks right there with it.

Oh.... It doesn't meet the requirements but Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (17:05) holds a special place in my heart. Iron Butterfly was my first concert in October 1969, and they absolutely Killed performing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #24 of 60
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Ikon (live). One is not a true prog-frog if he doesn't know this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #25 of 60
Tarkus has a special place in my heart, because I learned to play it. Gave me a special appreciation for it.

But I have to go with Echoes, today, only because Echoes came first. Tomorrow it'd be Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #26 of 60
I voted "Close to the Edge" though I enjoy the others listed above but I probably should have voted not included and stated down here that a live version of "Dark Star" by the Grateful Dead trumps all of those by far. What version, your choice, the Halloween version on Dicks Pics Vol. 2 (1971-10-31) come to mind as a pretty strong one though. -Timing is 23:14

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 60
I looked at the votes and was very surprised (though I really shouldn't be) by how many votes the two Pink Floyd songs got. Don't get me wrong, they are both great, but I don't even put them in the same league as Supper's Ready or Close to the Edge. I'm assuming the reason they got so many votes is because people just haven't heard the other bands or songs. Pink Floyd's popularity really overshadows the entire classic prog scene these days. I hope that some people will see this list and be interested in hearing the others.

Some other great long Epics that are not on the list:

A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers - Van Der Graaf Generator
Nine Feet Underground - Caravan
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
Lizard - King Crimson

There are also a ton of Krautrock songs that run over twenty minutes that should be listened to if you enjoy prog. Look at bands like Can, Ash Ra Tempel, Amon Düül II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back