Your favorite media player?
Jun 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #61 of 79
I really liked winamp only problem was stability issues with windows 7 certain tracks associated with other libruarys on my comp refused to play correctly.
The other issue is I have an iPhone iPad and iPod so I am forced to use iTunes.
If I could use winamp with the iPod I would.

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #63 of 79
i go for winamp. I need some thing small, easy to use, with nice appearance  yet is not a cluster mess which takes my whole screen like foobar.  Just simple click and play w/o the whole plug-in customise whatsoever that i have to do with foobar just to make it  presentable.  That how iphone sold for more than any god-like tech phone with alien UI.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #66 of 79
I have just download the trial version of the J River Media Center 16. I have noticed there is no control over volume. I am using it with Asus Xonar STX and beyerdynamic mmx300, using the headphone & mic inputs on the sound card (not front panel). I am using Hi Fi setting, 2 Channels, 44.1 sample rate, smart volume i toggled on and off.
I really like the player interface lots of nice options however not sure what is happening with the "stuck" volume level cannot seem to reduce the volume or increase it.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. In itunes I don't have these problems at all.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #67 of 79
For now its still foobar, asio 32bit float output sounds decent enough and the gui is nice plus it has cue support (which I don't understand why winamp keep ignoring this).

And I just found out that latest ulilith works on my pc, tried an older version before and it failed to start at the time. After a short listen now I really wish for a 64bit foobar as ulilith's gui is quite inconvenient (the custom "face"(s) is good to play with, though

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #68 of 79

Quote:
I have just download the trial version of the J River Media Center 16. I have noticed there is no control over volume. I am using it with Asus Xonar STX and beyerdynamic mmx300, using the headphone & mic inputs on the sound card (not front panel). I am using Hi Fi setting, 2 Channels, 44.1 sample rate, smart volume i toggled on and off.
I really like the player interface lots of nice options however not sure what is happening with the "stuck" volume level cannot seem to reduce the volume or increase it.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. In itunes I don't have these problems at all.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

i have no issues with the volume control, but i did purchase MC 16.  the default is 100%, but it would be odd not to allow volume control in the trial version.  you could also post the question on the JRM forum. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #69 of 79
For Linux:

I love "DeaDBeef" [http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/] and "Quod Libet" [https://code.google.com/p/quodlibet/wiki/Guide] for providing the ability to bypass the Pulse Audio Server and playback bit perfect audio via ALSA digital out. IMO, for audio, they are the equal of anything in the Windows world.

DeaDBeeF, a newer project, is lighter on features than Quod Libet, but works flawlessly. Quod Libet has more features and plug-ins, plus the added ability to integrate with the "Screenlets" application [http://screenlets.org/index.php/Home] which provides a multitude of useful desktop widgets, the most significant for audio being "nowplaying".

Edit: I forgot to mention "Guayadeque"  [http://sourceforge.net/projects/guayadeque/] a strangely named Linux audio player that's right up there with "DeaDBeef" and "Quod Libet".

For Windows:

I use Foobar2000 and J.River Media Center (ASIO or WASAPI event mode). I give the nod to Foobar2000 for audio because it's free, customizable with some effort and audibly as good as anything I have heard.

On a tangential note, I do wish Foobar2000 would develop a "nowplaying" plugin for the WinXP/Win7 desktop that would allow the player to be minimized, leaving a user customizable "nowplaying" widget on the desktop showing cover art, title, album name, artist of the currently playing track and transport controls, similar to the "nowplaying" widget in Linux "Screenlets". It seems that the free Windows app, Rainmeter [http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/], can do this, but it requires effort on the user's part.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #70 of 79
foobar2000.png

of course.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #71 of 79
I like J. River MC version 16.  Its simple to use.  I use WASAPI output to my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2.  I really like the theatre view.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #72 of 79
iTunes. Because I have a Mac, and if the iTunes (for Mac) volume is set at 100%, the audio is sent bit-perfect. The equaliser is rubbish, but I don't use it. I tried a demo of Amarra, and that equaliser is very nice. Couldn't justify the price as I didn't use the equaliser, and all I used it for was the really nice upsampling. Just too expensive for an upsampler.

For video, MPlayer Extended. Much less buggy than VLC (they dropped the ball with the Mac edition, like Firefox did). Not sure about the bit-perfect thing with that, however :frowning2:

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #73 of 79
I use J.River Media Jukebox.  (Mostly because I'm too stupid to get Foobar 2000 to look and sound like I would like it to)  For those that have J.River Media Center, is it worth the money to upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back