Your favorite instruments
Mar 18, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #33 of 45
Roland TB-303?

ok, maybe not... but I sure get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I hear one
biggrin.gif

Driftwood

Mar 20, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 45
The Tenor Sax is by far one of the most incredible instruments- it seems to attract incredible sax players!! Take Coltrane- he is incredible in . . . um . . ALL his records. (I do play the tenor sax- that is also why I love it so much - I have been for many years) Next in line is any type of sax whether it be alto, soprano or bari. Charlie Parker . . . the equivalent of Coltrane except on Alto. And Miles Davis is great in Kind of Blue -- but the cameo appearances by Coltrane and Cannonball Addrely make his recording all the more worthy and wonderful to listen to (Miles Davis is an incredible trumpet player, though). Some music propaganda: If you don't have Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, go and get it. CD's are cheaper than ever now!

That's my spiel; Alright . . . goodbye.

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #35 of 45
This one was hard for me to think of. I like a lot of instruments, and they each have their own special use. After thinking for a while, I think I like the cello the most.
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I just like its range.

Exactly
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by lorien
I may get disqualified for this - but I would put my vote on the human voice :)

Your not disqualified at all. I also like vocals a lot. Especially female vocals, they can be so warm and enveloping.

Mar 21, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #36 of 45
Classical: Clarinet (I am semi-pro), French horn, Cello
Jazz: Alto Sax (semi-pro here too), Tenor Sax, Trumpet
All others: acoustic guitar first, mandolin, bass guitar

Mar 21, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #37 of 45
I may be wacked, but I've always liked the use of mandolin in rock/pop songs. Think Rod Stewarts "Mandolin Wind" or Zep's "Battle of Evermore"; it just adds a lushness to the mix.

Apr 5, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #39 of 45
Despite all of the Industrial and Deathrock I love listening to, My favorite instrument is the Harp. It just sounds beautifull IMO. Just listen to a talented artist play Motzart's "Greensleeves" on a nice harp, and you will have the same opinion as me
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
12 string rickenbacker.

Yup. Gotta agree with that. Especially if it's being played by Roger McGuinn on a Byrds track.

Also love to hear the Hammond B3. Not too keen on it on it's own but down in the mix on some of the alt. country tracks, it really adds life to the song. Listen to Dr. John - Duke Elegant to hear what I mean. It has that lovely whistle / oscillation that is so appealing, perhaps it shouldn't be but I like it anyway.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I know I will probably be made fun of, but for some reason the banjo when used in the right music, like Alison Krauss, really moves me.

Nothing to be ashamed of at all Crescendo...

We're all adults here mate, nobody will make fun of you. I personally also agree with you on this. Great sounding instrument.

If you like Alison Krauss then you will probably quite like the Fiddle (which Alison plays) and the Mandolin. It's strange that the only place outside of an Orchestra that one can find a Mandolin is in Bluegrass.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 8:29 AM Post #42 of 45
Even though a favorite instrument might change depending on the mood or the seasons, two of my favorites would have to be the koto and the shakuhachi. These two have a wonderful tone, and it must have something to do with the harmonic structure, but I find them to be very organic and relaxing. Yes, very relaxing........zzzzzzzzz

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #45 of 45
I enjoy the blues harmonica. Or maybe it is the surroundings in the Chicago Blues Bars. I also enjoy the guitar especially when Ry Cooder is playing an improvisational set.

John B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back