Your favorite instruments
Mar 3, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 45
Great question...

Classical: 1) Violin/Viola, 2) Cello, 3) well played oboe
Soundtracks: 1) French horn, 2) Bass trombone/trombone
Jazz: 1) Piano and Trumpet (former trumpet player here), 3) Alto sax, 4) Bari sax, 5) Tenor sax, 6) Guitar (acoustic before electric)

Mar 3, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 45
Maybe a better question would be: What kind of instruments do you like? Strings? brass? woodwinds?

I'm a string man myself.
wink.gif

Brass has its' uses, but I think it's a bit too dramatic for me.

Mar 4, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 45
Guitar, electric and acoustic. Nothing gets me more hyper than hearing a killer guitar solo
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 45
Classical: oboe -- it just has a certain melancholy...although Cello could trump it, depending on piece...there just aren't enough good oboe pieces.

Contemporary: synthesizer -- there is nothing like a good fat squeaky clean synth-pop track to make me happy.

Mar 4, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 45
Re: the oboe

Like the clarinet and the bassoon, they have that lustrious liquid quality (think spit) over their string counterparts. Check out the Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker--a dreamy and exotic piece with muted violins in the background.

Mar 4, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

.... Classical: 1) Violin/Viola

*GASP!* _Viola_ grouped into the same category as violin!?!? How COULD you!?

Q: What's the range of a viola? A: As far as you can kick it.
Q: Why are violas called "bratsche" in German? A: Because that's the sound they make when you sit on them.
Q: Did you hear the one about the violist who played in tune? A: Neither did I.
Q: What's the definition of "perfect pitch"? A: Throwing a viola into the dumpster without hitting the rim.
Q: What do you call a bunch of violists in a hot tub? A: Vegetable soup.

Now, I reeeeeally hope there aren't any violists here....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 45
Acoustic over electric guitar most definately, but I like the sound of both (MG Head really makes you love both).

Oh my, I can only imagine how good a well played smooth toned clarinet would sound with a muted trumpet.
eek.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #15 of 45
Recordings of electronic instruments sound the best when their amplified sounds are recorded w/mics in acoustic space. Keyboards fall victim to 'mixing-board sound' too much, electric and bass guitars less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back