Your favorite computer media player?
Mar 7, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #91 of 109
Thanks, Chris. I think I'll be trying out foobar pretty soon.

I don't see the MusicMatch visual clutter - just a really small bar showing the track number/name and the icons for stop, pause, play, etc., but I'm always willing to try a new, highly recommended player!

I'll also look into Exact Audio Copy.

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #92 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
I don't see the MusicMatch visual clutter - just a really small bar showing the track number/name and the icons for stop, pause, play, etc., but I'm always willing to try a new, highly recommended player!

Hmm, it must have changed since I used it. In the early days of the program, it was nearly full-screen - and it had separate windows for ID3 tags, track lyrics, album artwork, blah blah blah blah all sorts of crap I didn't need.

But yeah, I highly recommend Foobar.
smily_headphones1.gif

- Chris

Mar 7, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #93 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
I'll also look into Exact Audio Copy.

make sure to set it up in secure mode, read up on it, its probably the best ripper out there.

Mar 7, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #94 of 109
Quote:

Exact Audio Copy its probably the best ripper out there

eek.gif
I better look into it now. Thanks, gloco and minya/Chris.

Edit for spelling mistake.

Mar 8, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #97 of 109
I recently tried foobar2000 and loved it, it sounds better than winamp (32bit mad, 16/96 ssrc output) to me. I dig the 32bit floating point mode, 88.2k sounds more detailed but 96 sounds better to me (more coherent), if you are like most people who have sucky sound cards, I recommend you try 48k resample.

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:05 PM Post #98 of 109
Thanks for all the info and links, you open my eyes, sorry, ears, to a whole new world!
Please, post a link to download that ssrc output plug in. I need it to make a fair comparisson between QCD, Foobar, Coolplayer and the enhanced Winamp. So far Foobar is winning...
cool.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #99 of 109
If you have a sucky soundcard which most of you do, winamp and foobar should sound the best, but for those of you with good cards, I still prefer the sound of Winplay3 by Fraunhofer.

The ssrc plugin can be had from the developers webpage, if the site is still down, well tough luck, use your internet skills to get it, hint use google.

Mar 13, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #100 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
This is the best computer media player in the history of the microchip! It's da bomb! There is simply no better computer media player in the entire world! I love it! I use it everyday! It's da bomb!

Please, end your life now before whatever crippling disease you suffer from spreads further.

- Chris

Mar 13, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #101 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Microsoft only makes perfect software.

Again, I wholeheartedly believe in all Microsoft programs.

Again. Please, before it spreads. End it all as quickly as possible, or at least quarantine yourself for the safety of others.

- Chris

Mar 13, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #102 of 109
Me thinks Welly's having a go at us!

I just tried out Foobar and QCD for the first time tonight. Foobar sounds a little bit better to my humble ears (tmhe). If you like slick guis use QCD, otherwise it's Foobar all the way.

Mar 13, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #103 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Of course, if MusicMatch works best for you, then have at it. Just promise me - don't encode MP3s with MusicMatch
tongue.gif

- Chris

90% of my MP3s were done with MusicMatch. The others with EAC. There is little to no difference between them. MusicMatch one year ago was rather poor at ripping. It has gotten a lot better.

Yes it does have a lot of space for "extras" that I can see some people not needing. I don't use all of it either. I like the library set up and the way it files my music. If you like a minimalist player this isn't it.

Mar 13, 2003 at 12:17 PM Post #104 of 109
Another vote for Foobar, I love that simple interface.
biggrin.gif
I'm in the process of switching from Media Jukebox, thanks for the link!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #105 of 109
Time for just a quick little update, in case youz peepz aren't checking for foobar updates.
I have gone through two more betas, they have been adding more and more features!
Yes the Audio CD Player dll is now included! And integration with replaygain and tagging/renaming through the playlist. There's a conversion/diskwriter interface, which could let you decompress to wav for making CD's, and probably transcode if you wanted (that's basically considered to be a no-no with golden ears). Anybody know a CDWriter program that burns 32bit floating point wav's?? Nero kicked them back, so I went back to 16 bit, the standard. Not sure my CD Player would even play them, but I think I could play them on the computer. There's also a database that you can use to play things easily without finding them in Explorer first, after you've played something, it is stored there for easy future access (a nod to MJ or MC or MR, I think) I'm sure there are more new features, but that's the only ones I have played with so far. That, and it does shorten files now, don't think it did earlier.
Foobar is becoming "bloated"
very_evil_smiley.gif
, the very thing that it was originally not going to do!!
I am finding that almost all the mp3's I have "found" clip, before running replaygain per track on them. The mpc's, oggs, and mp3's I have made do not seem to, but I run them through replaygain anyway, but it seems to do it automatically if you listen to the entire song.
I may have stated that previously mpc was my encoder of choice, but I am starting to swing over to ogg vorbis. Its just about the same, both the mpc's and ogg's are indistinguishable to me from the original wav's. I have some mp3's that are distinguishable . !
mad.gif
Just recently, I "found" a rip of Jethro Tull Aqualung MFSL CD, coded at 128kb!! What a ma-r-oon!! I am insane though, I use the highest setting on each! (--quality 8 for mpc, and - quality 6 on ogg's) Guess they should sound good!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back