Your Favorite Chill-Out/Downtempo:
Jun 4, 2006 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I am loving:
Zero 7-"Simple Things"
Thievery Corp.-"The Mirror Conspiracy"
Cafe Roma-(self titled-on water music records-amazing compilation)
Global Underground After Hours-"*****ed up and Wasted" (another great compilation)

I dont own any Stereolab or Spicehouse...suggestions?

New Zero 7-"The Garden" coming out on the 6th of June and there is a new remix Thievery out now called "Versions" that I hear is quite good.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 52
I second Zero 7's Simple Things. Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D Sessions is one of my all-time favorites.

Jun 4, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 52
Heres 5: Hope you enjoy.
orphsmile.gif

Machine Drum - Bidnezz (2004)
Landau - Thepicompromise (2004)
Fursaxa - Ecstatic Peace (2004)
Gas - Pop (2001)
Myrakaru - Tammetoru (2004)

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 52
kwitel- I prefer the latest Stereolab albums. Try "Sound Dust" and "Margerine Eclipse." The earlier stuff tends towards the abstract and atonal. Some people like that, but I don't. The good news is that Stereolab discovered melody and structure, and have become quite good.

For chill out music, take a listen to Galaxie 500. Rykodisc just re-released a bunch of their stuff:

http://www.rykodisc.com/catalog/Cata...&Artist_ID=254

Good stuff. They're no longer together, but at concerts, the fans used to chant "slower, softer" at them. So yeah, it's mellow.

I also think "Terroir Blues" by Jay Farrar is a laid-back treat. But Jay Farrar is an acquired taste. I "get" him, but a whole mess of people do not.

EDIT: how could I forget Tangerine Dream and Brian Eno? Check them out if you're not familiar.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 52
I don't have too many CDs of this genre, but a nice one is N.D.S by Haruomi Hosono -- one of the three members of the former Yellow Magic Orchestra. The music has a tinge of Indian flavor, but it is full of Hosono's peculiar touches -- the harmonies and sounds are uniquely him.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 52
Zero 7
Frou Frou
Stereolab
Air

These are my favorite downtempo/chill bands. That and the whole Lost in Translation soundtrack. Check it out.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 52
Susumu Yokota - Sakura is all that you need. Beatifully layered and supremely chilled music. Other stuff I been listening to recently:

Murcof - Remembranza
Vladislav Delay - The Four Quarters
Arovane - Lillies
Global Communication - 76:14

I've had the new Zero 7 for a few days and so far think it's only so-so. Hopefully it's a grower though. Which reminds me:

Sia - Colour The Small One. Sia is the female singer from Zero 7 and this solo album is much like Zero 7.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
Kruder & Dorfmeister's K&D Sessions is one of my all-time favorites.

Checked this out last night after your recommendation and it blew me away!
basshead.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, spaceman! Damn head-fi: my bank balance is suffering once again.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
Try these as well;

Gotan Project
Groove Armada

Oh yes...I second these.
Also you might want to try Ulrich Schnauss. He has 2 albums out - see if you can find 'A strangely isolated place'
Anything by Tosca is worth hunting down as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back