Your Favorite Band of All Time
Oct 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #31 of 172
Without question, the greatest band of all time for me is The Beatles. Just an incredible catalog with almost no weaknesses. So much of what they have done is timeless. If you put in the effort to understand their impact in their own time, it makes them just that much more remarkable.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without question, the greatest band of all time for me is The Beatles.

This isn't a thread to determine the greatest band of all time, just your favorite band. It's not just a semantic difference ... The Beatles are a hard act to beat as candidate for greatest band of all time, so if everyone chooses to answer that question we'll get a sort of boring thread.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #33 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't a thread to determine the greatest band of all time, just your favorite band. It's not just a semantic difference ...

Good grief! My apologies for blurring the distinction between greatest and favorite. To answer the question posed by the title of this thread (Your favorite band of all time): The Beatles.

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #34 of 172
In less than two months Porcupine Tree obtains this position for me. I fell in love with In Absentia, and I really enjoy their songwriting and coherent framework for each of their albums.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #35 of 172
For me, it's Rush. Ever since I bought the "Moving Pictures" LP (yes, Record!), I've been hooked. They're music has colored my musical tastes ever since. Every band I've liked since then has got to measure up to them somehow on an unconsciousness level.

Close seconds: Stereolab (even though they couldn't be more unlike Rush, they're complicated rhythms and melodies are awesome), Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Yes, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #36 of 172
For me it would be King Crimson. Through many eras, many players and many styles, they have always been challenging and engaging. Though recent recorded output has been not as good as past albums, seeing the band live will convince you they are a force to be reckoned with.

From the opening of "21st Century Schizoid Man" on that first album, way back in 1969, to current times, Fripp and his cohorts always deliver the goods.

A_Sr.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #37 of 172
It changes sometimes every decade, sometimes every year, sometimes every day, sometimes within the day.....right at this moment......well i am listening to Phish but ask me later and it may change.
tongue.gif

Either way is falls into two categories Jambands, or Classic rock.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #39 of 172
Top 10 in no particular order.....

1. The Grateful Dead
2. The Beatles
3. Phish
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Pink Floyd
6. The Doors
7. Steely Dan
8. Bob Marley and the Wailers
9. Scientist
10. Slightly Stoopid

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #42 of 172
I cannot pick between these two:

Opeth - Able to create albums that are beautifully melodic yet bombastic and aggressive. Mikael Åkerfeldt has demonic growls and innocent and pure clean vocals. The music transitions very well (mostly) and the guitar dueling is outstanding. My Arms, Your Hearse is probably my favorite album ever.

Virgin Black - When I think of blindingly intense and soulfully emotional music, I think of this band. Their lyrics have so much meaning to them. Rowan London has such a powerful and versatile voice. He is classically trained in opera, he has an amazing regular singing voice, and he can give most death metal singers a run for their money. The best part, is he is every bit as good live as he is on the studio albums. Guitarist Samantha Escarbe plays with equal amount of emotion and soul. They also recorded with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra and had to learn how to write classical pieces for their Requiem trilogy. Truly remarkable.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #43 of 172
1) The Beatles
2) Radiohead
3) Pink Floyd
4) Opeth
5) Whatever flavor of the month im obsessed with (This month, its TV on the Radio)

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #45 of 172
Beautiful South is one of my favourite bands too. I remember working on the pop video of their single "How long's a tear take to dry?" (low-budget cartoon!
biggrin.gif
) and was totally fascinated by the lyrics. Great music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back