Perfume
Camera Obscura
Maximum the Hormone
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
Dave Brubeck Quartet
The Slackers
They Might Be Giants
Whenever Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma play together

On a side note, to the previous poster that mentioned Operation Ivy, while they'll always be a band I remember first listening to via a cheap CD player and the headphones that came with it, I was pleasantly surprised at how good "Energy" sounded on a more "head-fi-esque" setup, despite having the kind of recording quality you'd expect from a punk album of that time. I guess just like Louis Armstrong and Fritz Kreisler, who unfortunately didn't leave behind recordings of a particularly great sound quality either, the music they made transcended any technological limits that they may have met.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #167 of 172
In Flames! <3 \m/

They are melodic death metal, melodic groove metal, alternative metal, hard rock, and mix in other influences like electronic, folk, and blues. To me, no other band can match the energetic and epic, yet positive feeling I get from them, especially in the guitar solos on their mid-to-late '90s albums.

I only saw them live once, in 2004, but got to meet Jesper Strömblad, the founding member of the band. He signed my shirt, which I never washed again. They were filming the concert for a DVD release, so I got my friend to lift me up on his shoulders so I could let loose like a banshee in hopes of being immortalized on it. Too bad they didn't use any of that footage...

Informative link: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/In_Flames/11

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #168 of 172
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
I love Mike Campbell's guitar playing and Tom's songwriting is something special.  He's one of the greats in my book.  I also enjoyed Stan Lynch's drumming quite a bit.  I prefer him to Steve Ferrone.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #169 of 172
The Knife
- Somehow poppy, subversive, creepy and fun all at once.

Autechre, Aphex Twin, U-Ziq
- The combination of almost placid synth melodies with aggressive, disorienting rhythms brings me back year after year.

Pantha du Prince
EL-P
The Clash
Wolves in the Throne Room, Altar of Plagues
- They capture the best of my two favorite Rock subgenres (Post-Rock, Black Metal). Among the few bands that deserves the "epic" tag IMO.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #170 of 172
I absolutely love MGMT. This is the only psychedelic rock band I listen to and I believe they are amazing. I own all of their albums except for Congratulations. I saw them live at Party in the Park 2014 and loved their performance but I was sad to not hear The Youth or Weekend Warrior. My favorite songs are Kids, Time to Pretend, Alien Days and Cool Song No. 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back