Your experiences: 1964 vs. LiveWires vs. Kozee
Oct 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Methos1979

Head-Fier
I'm jumping into the custom monitor pond after a long wait.  I've narrowed it down to the above three companies as all three have similar products at similar prices.  Right kinda leaning towards the 1964's with the LiveWires as a close second. 

I'm looking for actual experiences with these products - your opinions not only of the monitors themselves but dealing with the company and the whole process.

Help me buy my first set of custom IEMs!  Feel free to post photos as well.

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 13
I have no experience of any of the three personally but this is sort of what I have gathered from the various appreciation threads floating around here (in the end I went with reshells with fisher).

1)Kozee atm have serious customer communication problems apparantly.  If you do a search you'll find the relevant thread with all the info on it.

2)1964 ears seem to have fairly good service.  Again do a search for the 1964 ears appreciation thread and you should find mostly glowing reviews.

3)Livewires I'm not too sure about, think they are an older design and don't get talked about all that much on headfi compared to the likes of jerry harvey or unique melody et al.

Cheers.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 13
I have the quads from 1964Ears and they are beautiful. The bass is the best that I have heard - deep powerful and controlled. The midrange is quite good and the highs are slightly rolled off (they are stage monitors, after all). Customer service was excellent - they were out of the standard length cable when my quads were finished, so rather than make me wait any longer, they gave me the long cable at no extra charge.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 13
+1 for 1964 Ears customer service. Very fast reply and go to great length to advise customer on the suitable model.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 13
Another happy 1964-EARS customer. I think the only Head-fier who has a Livewires (older model) and 1964E is rawster. You could try a PM.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Follow up question for the folks that chimed in on the 1964-EARS - I'm definitely leaning towards these.  Let me ask you guys though, what are your sources?  Do you use an amp?

Here's my deal:  Listen through an iPhone 4, no amp, just streamed music off the cloud (Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody, etc.) and the stuff I've ripped from my collection.  I will not use an amp.  I love bass and don't like shrill highs due to a very bad case of tinnitus brought on by military explosion. 

Cost is not really a factor.  I can afford the Quads.  But is it worth it with my admittedly crappy source and hearing?  Would singles, dual, or triples be just as good or better?

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Im actually thinking about triples from 1964 ears right now too, but if customs are better than universals like I believe they should be then getting them only for streaming music is way overkill. I stream pandora on my Iphone 4 with my TF10 and W2 (returned them) and even with them I could tell that the music was a crappy quality. I think with customs you will be able to hear even more imperfections in the music which gets annoying real quick.  Im using the free pandora though and I think pay pandora has higher quality.

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 13
Another 1964 Quads owner here. I can honestly say that they have been the best purchase I have ever made in terms of headphones. And their customer service is top notch. They've answered my emails almost in the same day and they have even refunded money for a slight imperfection on a custom color that I had requested. The sound is awesome as well. I don't think I can ever use universal iems and be satisfied with their sound. Now I am itching to send these to Unique Melody to upgrade to 8 drivers :) But again, my vote goes for the 1964 Ears. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 13
My primary reason for buying customs is that my ears cannot tolerate universal IEMs.  I have very sensitive ears.  But I have custom molded hearing protection for motorcycle riding and those do not bother me at all.  So I'm looking for higher fidelity but with the comfort of a custom molded IEM.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Since you like bass then quads should be your best choice. Runs nicely from the iPhone 4 alone.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Close to pulling the trigger on a set of Quads.  Two more questions - I wear glasses, are the over-the-ear loops a problem for those who wear glasses?  Seems I've heard something about this.  And last, from the photos I've seen, the plug that goes into the source looks kinda big and boxy.  I'd be running these through an iPhone 4 with a Mophie Juice Pack case that has a recessed cutout for the jack input.  I'm worried that this would be a problem as well.  Any info on these issues would be a plus as well.

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 13
I wear sunglasses with my quads quite a bit. It's noticeable for the first minute or so, but that's it. Remember there is a wire in the first section of cable coming off the iem that you can form to your liking. I use mine primarily from a 3rd gem iPhone with a speck case. I did have to take the case off and run a 10mm drill bit through the headphone lineout, but it's a small price to pay for the quality you'll receive. +1 on 1964's customer service, easily the best company I've dealt with via Internet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back