Your experience with USB cables...
Mar 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 75
Thanks for info, but I would rather go for a cheaper, but decent USB cable, especially because I use an asynchronous USB/SPDIF converter (JK HiFace MK3).
I suspect that a use of such converter reduces the importance of a USB cable. However I would still like to have a good cable as I've heard that even with USB/SPDIF converters it can influence the sound.

On the contrary, I bought an audiophile USB cable because my DAC has an asynchronous USB input and can potentially sound great. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 75
Why?
My understanding is that a better USB cable can give you more benefits when you have a synchronous USB and does not make such a big difference with asynchronous or with use of USB/SPDIF converter as they are more proof to errors.

Quote:
On the contrary, I bought an audiophile USB cable because my DAC has an asynchronous USB input and can potentially sound great. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 75

Quote:
Why?
My understanding is that a better USB cable can give you more benefits when you have a synchronous USB and does not make such a big difference with asynchronous or with use of USB/SPDIF converter as they are more proof to errors.

I think there are sound quality limitations on a synchronous USB interface which I doubt a good USB cable can overcome...there's more potential for improvement on asynchronous.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #19 of 75
I am about to buy a used Audioquest Cinnamon 1.5 meter USB Type A to Type B cable for $39.94 USD through Amazon's Warehouse Deals. I am using a cheap generic USB 3.00 meter cable right now and it is producing skips and drop outs. I am note sure if the Audioquest will improve sound quality, but I am thinking about taking the risk and placing my order soon. Does anyone here use Audioquest USB cables and if so what are your results?

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 75
Response from HRT CTO regarding USB cable for MS Pro:

Thank you for your email.  In answer to your question, the USB cable can, under some circumstances have a small effect on the sound quality.  A good choice is the Belkin Gold Series of USB cable ([size=10pt]http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?&Product_Id=608151&subid=17931[/size]) well made and not absurdly priced.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC

Hopes that helps.

Mar 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #22 of 75

Quote:
the only usb cable I've tried is ACR cable silver reference, sold at Audiogon by acreyes. it had pretty good reviews, and it was in an auction, so I got it for a fraction of the rrp.

I noticed an improvement over the stock usb; it was subtle, but an improvement nevertheless. the higher the resolution the system, the more likely you're to hear the difference.

since then he's produced the siler reference II, and now has the new Reference 3 out.

I will probably order the Reference 3 soon.

ACR's SR3 is a nice cable, better than Transparent's Performance USB and Wireworld's Starlight that I've.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 75
Finally I managed to borrow and test a better USB cable - Wireworld Ultraviolet.
In comparison to my stock USB cable (included to my DAC) I haven't noticed any difference in sound.
Maybe it's because I use a USB/SPDIF converter.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #24 of 75
Threads like this make me laugh.
Quite some time ago, a member of our dear forum contacted USB.org, a website created by the inventors of the USB data transfer protocol. He asked if there might be any difference between 2 to-spec USB cables, if one used better materials. The question was an eloquent no. It's impossible. I can't remember on which thread it was, and I don't really want to look that hard.
I'm not saying it isn't fun to believe that there are magic fairies in our digital cables, and that spending 500$ will make the fairies go away, I'm just concerned that a new member might see this and actually believe there might be something wrong with his Monoprice USB cable. Other than that carry on.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #26 of 75
I'll post a proper review later but I tried the Audioquest Carbon and compared it to a generic cable with ferrite ring, connecting both to an M2Tech EVO. The generic cable had more presence, attack and slam. The Carbon was richer, smoother and easier to listen to, but it was too polite for my tastes. On my HD800s the difference was very noticeable and I've now returned the Carbon.

I was sceptical about USB cables making a difference, but the last week has taught me that they're as different as interconnects. Now begins the hassle of finding demo cables...

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #27 of 75

Quote:
I'll post a proper review later but I tried the Audioquest Carbon and compared it to a generic cable with ferrite ring, connecting both to an M2Tech EVO. The generic cable had more presence, attack and slam. The Carbon was richer, smoother and easier to listen to, but it was too polite for my tastes. On my HD800s the difference was very noticeable and I've now returned the Carbon.
I was sceptical about USB cables making a difference, but the last week has taught me that they're as different as interconnects. Now begins the hassle of finding demo cables...

The problem is there is really no such thing as "generic cable."  They may not have brand names, but they are made by different companies all over the world, and there is a large difference in sound among the many "generic cables."  

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 75

Quote:
The problem is there is really no such thing as "generic cable."  They may not have brand names, but they are made by different companies all over the world, and there is a large difference in sound among the many "generic cables."    

Absolutely, I just used the term to imply a freebie cable I had lying around - I'll be more specific in my review.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #29 of 75
Threads like this make me laugh.
Quite some time ago, a member of our dear forum contacted USB.org, a website created by the inventors of the USB data transfer protocol. He asked if there might be any difference between 2 to-spec USB cables, if one used better materials. The question was an eloquent no. It's impossible. I can't remember on which thread it was, and I don't really want to look that hard.
I'm not saying it isn't fun to believe that there are magic fairies in our digital cables, and that spending 500$ will make the fairies go away, I'm just concerned that a new member might see this and actually believe there might be something wrong with his Monoprice USB cable. Other than that carry on.

It doesn't hurt to try and listen the cable. In my opinion it's the best way to know. Measurements and science come second - after experience (at least for me).
Remember, there was a time when people claimed coaxial digital cables cannot sound differently...well I have 3 different digital cables and I can hear differences between each of them.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #30 of 75
I haven't compared the WireWorld and Furutech cables, but I can tell you that the Wireworld Starlight was a big improvement over the base-level Kimber Kable USB cable. Much more clarity, better soundstaging. Pure speculation on my part (I'm a lawyer, not an engineer), but I think that the physical separation of the signal and power conductors is the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back