Your experience with USB cables...
Feb 26, 2012 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

korzena

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody had experienced big differences with different USB cables?  How differently can they sound? How big are the improvements in sound quality using better USB cables?

I've heard that Wireworld Ultraviolet or Wireworld Startlight USB cables are very good value. But some people recommend more expensive Wywires, Locus Design, Ridge Audio or Revelation Audio USB cables. Are they worth it or is it better to stay with something like Wireworld or maybe just with the stock USB cable?

Please share your experiences if you've tested other than stock USB cables.

Thank you!

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 75
Some people have reported it makes a difference.  But the fact is, unless the cable is broken or defective in some way, there's close to zero chance that it could change the sound in a uniform way.  Maybe it'll reduce the number of errors (that is, instead of being one in a billion bits it'll be one in ten billion, or something - but even then error correction can usually catch and fix most errors, and that's such a tiny error rate that it won't be discernible by humans) but it won't make any measurable difference once it actually reaches the headphones.

I'm not trying to be a thread bomber or anything, but I'm just trying to be honest here - high-end USB cables are probably the biggest rip-off around.  I simply don't see how anyone can justify a $3500 USB cable.

But if you want to spend a little more to have pretty audiophile-looking cable, by all means go right ahead - just, don't go too crazy on your spending, since all you're really buying is appearance.  But I really wouldn't spend any more than $50 (honestly if it were me I wouldn't spend any more than $10, maybe $20).

There isn't really much more for me to say though, this has been debated to death a few times already in a few different threads...one thing I can point out though, is the actual guys who made the USB spec have said that audiophile-grade USB cables can't possibly make any difference.

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 75
Quote:
>There isn't really much more for me to say though, this has been debated to death a few times already in a few different threads...one thing I can point out though, is the actual guys who made the USB spec have said that audiophile-grade USB cables can't possibly make any difference.

Hi DaBomb,
Thanks for your reply.
Analog and digital cables can also be to the specs, but sound differently, at least to me. This is why I believe that reasonably priced better USB cables could bring some improvement.
I should be able to test one next week, so I will know more.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 75
I definitely heard improvements when I replaced a generic $5 USB cable made for printer with a $35 99.9% copper + gold plated connectors USB cable made for hi-fi. I have no experience with other USB cables, however I doubt there will be much improvements comparing $35 and $1000 USB cables. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 75
 I have 2 cables: DH Labs (Silver) and A&B Systems (Copper) and recommend both.
 Tried the Furutech GT2 and it kind of destroyed the sound of my system.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 75
the only usb cable I've tried is ACR cable silver reference, sold at Audiogon by acreyes. it had pretty good reviews, and it was in an auction, so I got it for a fraction of the rrp.

I noticed an improvement over the stock usb; it was subtle, but an improvement nevertheless. the higher the resolution the system, the more likely you're to hear the difference.

since then he's produced the siler reference II, and now has the new Reference 3 out.

I will probably order the Reference 3 soon.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 75

Quote:
Anybody had experienced big differences with different USB cables?  How differently can they sound? How big are the improvements in sound quality using better USB cables?

I've heard that Wireworld Ultraviolet or Wireworld Startlight USB cables are very good value. But some people recommend more expensive Wywires, Locus Design, Ridge Audio or Revelation Audio USB cables. Are they worth it or is it better to stay with something like Wireworld or maybe just with the stock USB cable?

Please share your experiences if you've tested other than stock USB cables.

Thank you!

I bought the Furutech Formula 2 to connect my HRT MSII+ to notebook. The improvement was so obvious I didn't bother to detached for A/B comparision with a generic USB cable.

The dealer says much of the effect stems from shielding the signal from power connectors. The best solution is from the Audio Revive, which splits the signal and power to separate USB connector on the PC end.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 75
 My Furutech GT2 was like more details, extension, space, dynamics, attack, but dry harsh highs sound, thin bass. I sold to a guy who didn't like it either. Well, he liked in a first moment... than the fatigue begin...

DH Labs was like 70% of the same benefits without the problem with highs and the bass.
 A&B Systems I found was a much more relaxed sound, somewhat an opposite of the DHLabs, in a good way. Maybe in future I'll replace this cable with another DHLabs to see what happens.

Try the DHLabs, the person who advised me on it, had a bunch other USB cables (much more expensive) and prefered it to the others.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 75
The Furutech Formula2 increased the amount of harmonic details that make acoustic instruments sound more realistic and engaging; the bass is not just deeper but has more details.

I used to feel the HD800 sounds spacious but diffused, now images is more specifically placed and has a little more "body".

The improvement is more than what I had expected but the result may differ with different setup, and please note that the improvement is relative to what I had before, so temper expectation.

My dealer said although conductor & dielectric material matters, a big chunk of the improvement comes from shielding the signal from power section within the USB cable. The Audio Revive cable is the most effective in this regard by separating the signal from the power section.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 75

Thank you Guys for giving more details about the Furutech cables.

Anybody tried Wireworld USB cables and how they compare to Furutech?

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 75
You can find the top Acoustic Revive model on eBay imported from Japan at a significant discount from what it costs from a US dealer. Ridge Street Audio's higher end models are also a split power/signal "Y" design.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 75

Quote:
You can find the top Acoustic Revive model on eBay imported from Japan at a significant discount from what it costs from a US dealer. Ridge Street Audio's higher end models are also a split power/signal "Y" design.

Thanks for info, but I would rather go for a cheaper, but decent USB cable, especially because I use an asynchronous USB/SPDIF converter (JK HiFace MK3).
I suspect that a use of such converter reduces the importance of a USB cable. However I would still like to have a good cable as I've heard that even with USB/SPDIF converters it can influence the sound.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 75
The A&B System copper USB cable I mentioned have separated signal from power too, and cost something around US 50.00 at eBay.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 75
I used a 5m USB cable that came with my ages old printer with my Fast Track Pro, and it did drop out an awful lot. I changed back into the short one that came with the FTP and it worked perfect. I suspect the original long cable either didn't have enough shielding, or was meant to be used with a powered device like the printer that had a wallwart. I don't know the specifics of the USB standard, so I'm not sure can the signal be amplified on the other end of the cable, or was it just because the cable was barely adequate for higher bandwidth usage.

I say stick to the cable you get with your device, it's supposed to be enough, and any defects are most certainly audible as clicks, pops, dropouts and the such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back