Your current stash, what are your reference cans?
Nov 25, 2005 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
If you were going to test the latest, and greatest, array of Headphone amplifiers, with some of the best sources around, what would you take along with you, as your reference set of cans? For me, it would be the HD600 w/Equinox cable. What would you bring? What is your reference set of cans?
600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 44
I think the Sony SA5000 is one of the most highly resolving and accurate headphones. The UE10 pro is another highly accurate and resolving earphone for evaluating eqipment, cables ,etc. Others color the sound in ways that might sound good, but this coloration can mask the ability to evaluate other components in the signal chain.

HD650 and SA5000 differences:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&page=1&pp=20

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 44
The reason I choose the HD600, is that it is sonically different then the HD650, in that it is not as dark. To bring the big Senns to true musical pleasure, it takes a very good amp and source combo. Not to say that you can't use a setup of lesser quality, but they really come alive with the right equipment.
600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
If you were going to test the latest, and greatest, array of Headphone amplifiers, with some of the best sources around, what would you take along with you, as your reference set of cans? For me, it would be the HD600 w/Equinox cable. What would you bring? What is your reference set of cans?
600smile.gif

At the moment Beyer DT-880... IMO my HD580 is too subdued in the treble to be good for testing various amps and such, particularly if I had other cans in mind that were capable of sounding harsh or sibilant with the wrong setup. I don't see an upgrade cable changing that situation much either, it's the basic sonic signature of the cans. The Beyers are plenty revealing, but not so much as to be unmusical -- a great balance for testing all sorts of gear in various areas IMO. They are chameleons that sound like a different set of cans with every recording.

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 44
For IEM: Westone ES3 with 120 Ohm resistor. Extremely fast response, great focussing, lean and hard bass, uniform frequency response. A great step towards perfection.
Greetings
UAndy

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
At the moment Beyer DT-880... IMO my HD580 is too subdued in the treble to be good for testing various amps and such, particularly if I had other cans in mind that were capable of sounding harsh or sibilant with the wrong setup. I don't see an upgrade cable changing that situation much either, it's the basic sonic signature of the cans. The Beyers are plenty revealing, but not so much as to be unmusical -- a great balance for testing all sorts of gear in various areas IMO.

Yeh! Thats a real good choice, but I find the highs to be a bit pronounced. No way to bright, or harsh, but not as neutral as most say.

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Yeh! Thats a real good choice, but I find the highs to be a bit pronounced. No way to bright, or harsh, but not as neutral as most say.

Agreed, it's a somewhat "treble focused" headphone. I'd rather use something like that to test amps and stuff though... if I ended up buying a rig that was a little dark as a result, that would be better than getting something that sounded offensive with brighter cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 44
Actually out of all the cans I've heard, tonally I'd probably pick the Grado HP-2. The problem is soundstage... how are you supposed to evaluate it properly using a Grado?
wink.gif

P.S. no offense to Grado owners, I'd love to have a pair of HP2s. Not sure it makes the best 'reference' though. Could be wrong, it's been a couple years since I've heard a pair...

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
MS2 for its detail resolution
HD580 is my most difficult to drive so I'd bring that too.

Well, what about soundstage, imaging, wouldn't you want to here how well some equipment can deliver these goods.
600smile.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Well, what about soundstage, imaging, wouldn't you want to here how well some equipment can deliver these goods.
600smile.gif

certainly... IMHO the MS2 is one of the better sub $300 imaging Grados, and the HD580 is one of the best imaging cans under $150.

IMHO another good candidate would be the K501.

Garrett

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 44
How about settling it with this -- I'd probably just bring all my cans to see how the gear sounded with each one
smily_headphones1.gif
. Best results that way. I doubt there's any such thing as a true 'reference' headphone, unless Sennheiser wins simply because more people know what they sound like, and more amps are tweaked for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO another good candidate would be the K501.

Man, lately I've really been craving a pair of those... this thing never ends.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
How about settling it with this -- I'd probably just bring all my cans to see how the gear sounded with each one
smily_headphones1.gif
. Best results that way. I doubt there's any such thing as a true 'reference' headphone, unless Sennheiser wins simply because more people know what they sound like, and more amps are tweaked for them.

Man, lately I've really been craving a pair of those... this thing never ends.
rolleyes.gif

That would be the ideal situation, but the point I'm looking for, is which one of them are your go to cans, when all else fails!!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back