Your current stash, what are your reference cans?
Nov 26, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 44
My collection is absurdly low-fi by h-fi standards so obviously I'd have to go with the DT770-250's, I think it's the only can I have which even approaches mid-fi.

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #33 of 44
The SR-404 is one of the most revealing headphones that I've ever heard, and certainly the most revealing headphone that I own. It really brings out the qualities of upstream components.

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrXpress
My collection is absurdly low-fi by h-fi standards so obviously I'd have to go with the DT770-250's, I think it's the only can I have which even approaches mid-fi.

Don't worry, you're doing just fine, you could be stuck with stock iPod buds, like most I see on a NY subway
eek.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #36 of 44
DT 880.. very balanced without emphasis on the low or high end. When you listen to headphones that aren't balanced-- the K 501 with a bit of a lacking low end, the K 240S with a strong low end, and something like the SR60 with an exaggerated midrange, the DT 880 always come out being neutral. It's definitely not the perfect headphone, but I definitely don't see where some call it "bright." Maybe ever-so-slightly tipped in that direction, but well within the limits.

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #37 of 44
I use my Grado SR225s as reference headphones when making speakers but they don't make very good reference phones. They lack a lot of upper midrange detail and are VERY colored. I'll try the Sony SA5000s next.

Nov 26, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #38 of 44
Depending on how the equinox cable sounds on the HD600, I would have to also say my Sony's are my best cans. It took some time, but I finally found a fantastic tube combination, where my SA5K sounds so good, you would think that I changed the drivers!!! Not that it is a bad set of cans, but it is now more tailored to my needs.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
You'd really have to have a low and high-impedance phone. If I could have only one, I'd take the DT880. It's very capable, and a bit less forgiving than the HD650. The "problem" with the HD650 is that it sounds quite nice whatever you throw at it.

Same with the HD580/HD600...

Quote:

Using the SA5000 would be deeply misguided due to it's relative incapability.

Explanation? I suppose it would offend a few SA5k owners :)P) but I'm interested in hearing why you believe so.

Nov 26, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Using the SA5000 would be deeply misguided due to it's relative incapability.

Yes, please explain your reasoning behind that quote. What is it incapable of?

Nov 26, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #41 of 44
at the moment the MS-Pro (and its not even mine anymore =P)

with luck that will change to HP3000 over the next week =D

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Yes, please explain your reasoning behind that quote. What is it incapable of?

It's not actually that capable, concentrating it's main ability in the form of an etched treble. You can really start to hear how the phone gets more and more uncontrolled as it gets lower down the frequency range. What it does well IMO is a tonal balance that the wannabe-audiophile who hasn't quite ditched his consumer tastes would appreciate, so might serve as the gateway drug better than some phones. It may have similar specs to the Q010, but the driver behaviour and the technical range are quite different. Personally, I find it more tolerable... no, tolerable is too strong a word... let's say 'nice' than the Qualia 010 to listen to. But technical ability was not the first thing that comes into my head when slapping the SA5K on my head. What I felt straight away was the employment of skilled driver tuning with the anticipation of the typical non-Head-Fi purchaser in mind.

The DT880 keeps full control and full ability throughout the presented frequency range. I'm never one to usually go on about amp compatibility and do on the whole dismiss the "oh, you need a better / balanced / etc amp" squawkings of the "HD650 is best phone in the world" camp, but a high-impedance, inefficient phone like a DT880 does actually need a proper amplifier, properly configured, to work well. The 880 is both a test of the amp's abilities as well as the source. It's no coincidence that it shows up flaws evident in some of the more peer-popular amps on Head-Fi, as well as some of the less well-executed tube amps. It does the DT880 no favours perhaps that in some cases, these flaws are blamed on the phone than the amp.

And yet that is also the reason why I said you'd need two phones to give an amp a workout. Some amps are optimised or suited by design to low-impedance phones, and when paired this way their performance may well be excellent.

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #43 of 44
A high impedance set of cans, with stellar sound quality, that is most definitely the DT880. Thinking about it more, you would want to test an amps ability to drive a set of high imp cans, to their desired level. Very nicely writen!
600smile.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

It's not actually that capable, concentrating it's main ability in the form of an etched treble. You can really start to hear how the phone gets more and more uncontrolled as it gets lower down the frequency range. What it does well IMO is a tonal balance that the wannabe-audiophile who hasn't quite ditched his consumer tastes would appreciate, so might serve as the gateway drug better than some phones.

Actually, this sounds to me like the appropriate sound for heavy guitar-based rock... I don't think there's anything particularly "consumerish" about liking heavy metal, or a headphone that handles that genre much better than some of the snootier cans. I attribute my preference for Senns and such more to the genres of music I'm into than any "audiophilish" tendencies, really.

As far as being a "gateway drug," isn't it a bit pricey to serve in that capacity? I thought that was more the job of the Grado SR-60 and such.

Quote:

The 880 is both a test of the amp's abilities as well as the source.

Amen... I find that my Go-Vibe with AD8620 measures up quite well, but a PCDP as a source (although a good one) really does not... the DT880 exposes the fact that it has a grainy treble, where the HD580 never did, and I'll be on the hunt for a decent budget standalone player soon.

Quote:

And yet that is also the reason why I said you'd need two phones to give an amp a workout. Some amps are optimised or suited by design to low-impedance phones, and when paired this way their performance may well be excellent.

Good point... guess I'd take along a pair of low impedance cans as well, although I don't know exactly which one I'd choose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back