Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Mar 12, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #151 of 6,671
  1. Prokofiev and Shostakovich, Violin Concertos No. 1, played by Vengerov[ and the London Symphony Orchestra]. Conducted by Rostropovich. Recorded May 1994. Label: Teldec.
  2. Wiltold Lutoslawski, Symphony No. 3, played by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Conductor: Tadaaki Otaka. Recorded 1990. Label: BIS.
  3. vrioon, by Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto. Recorded 2003. Label: Raster-Norton.
  4. op., by Ryoki Ikeda. Recorded 2002-3. Label: Touch.
  5. The Message at the Depth, by DJ Krush. Recorded 2002-3. Label: Red Ink/Sony.
  6. opensource - code, by akufen, jan jelinek, sutekh, thomas brinkmann, monolake, robert lippok and move d. Recorded: August 2002. Label: de:Bug.
  7. Lieder, by Ernst Krenek. Sung by Christine Schafer, played by Axel Bauni. Recorded 1995. Label: Orfeo.

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #152 of 6,671
Yesterday I ordered 5 CD's from France.
Well the CD's were cheap, but the shipping...
redface.gif

1. Animals - House the Rising Sun
  2. John Lee Hooker - Boom Boom
  3. BB King - King Of Blues
  4. Sister Sledge - We Are Family
  5. The Temptations featuring Eddie Kendricks - Papa Was a Rollin' Stone

We'll see if between those oldies there are some song that have yet to surprise me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #153 of 6,671
1. Calexico - Feast of Wire
2. Nico - Chelsea Girl
3. Land of the Loops - Bundle of Joy
4. Smokey & Miho - Temp de Amor
5. Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions

6. Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard (Thanks for the recommendation, jude!)

Mar 12, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #155 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
1. Calexico - Feast of Wire
2. Nico - Chelsea Girl
3. Land of the Loops - Bundle of Joy
4. Smokey & Miho - Temp de Amor
5. Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions

6. Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard (Thanks for the recommendation, jude!)

Trinity Session is a wonderful disc! Pure ear candy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #156 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
Trinity Session is a wonderful disc! Pure ear candy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to it right now and I agree wholeheartedly -- very layed-back and Margo Timmins just sounds oh-so-sweet. It's got that awesome country edge to it, which I've been diggin' on of late. Slide guitars, harmonicas, and a bit o' southern twang are really amazing when used effectively.

Mar 13, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #157 of 6,671
Last 5? Well, don't know if I can remember them exactly but this is what I recall the last 5 being.

Ratt - 8191
Norah Jones
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Foreigner - Foreigner
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #159 of 6,671
Scanner - Delivery
Moloko - Statues
New Order - Brotherhood
New Order - Low-Life
Autechre - Peel Sessions 2

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #160 of 6,671
(This oughtta kill scrypt)

Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio, Make Love, and War; The Wedlock of the Roses
Sophia, Spite
Derniere Volonte, Le feu Sacre (leaving out a whole bunch of accents 'n'stuff)

...and my favourite:

Desiderii Marginis, Deadbeat

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #161 of 6,671
Tomas of Ordo Equilibrio just wrote to me, DC[.] He's got a new address in Stockholm. Can't recall much more than that except that the gentleman's a very good e-mail friend and engineers most if not all of his own music. We once had a talk about that.

Excellent timing -- I have, in fact, been slain. R. Karmanik has sent me some of the releases you've mentioned here. And I recall liking Herbstwerk by Sophie quite a bit.

Mar 14, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #162 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Excellent timing -- I have, in fact, been slain. R. Karmanik has sent me some of the releases you've mentioned here. And I recall liking Herbstwerk by Sophie quite a bit.

You gonna hit up the Brighter Death Now show in Chicago in June?

- Chris

Mar 14, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #163 of 6,671
I'm stuck in New York recording an album, Minya. But Brighter Death Now's _Necrose Evangelicum_ is the first cmi release I ever heard. It's reason I got to know Tomas in the first place.

Tomas has said really nice things about my book in interviews and Roger K. of BDN has always sent me his newest cmi releases just because. As people, both musicians are golden. I'd support them if they played in NYC [and I owe them both a review].

I last went to Chicago to receive the Firecracker Award. Here's hoping I receive another someday and have reason to visit.

Mar 14, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #164 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
I'm stuck in New York recording an album, Minya. But Brighter Death Now's _Necrose Evangelicum_ is the first cmi release I ever heard. It's reason I got to know Tomas in the first place.

Tomas has said really nice things about my book in interviews and Roger K. of BDN has always sent me his newest cmi releases just because. As people, both musicians are golden. I'd support them if they played in NYC [and I owe them both a review].

Aye, CMI is a great label. Can't say I'm fond of Ordo Equilibrio, though. The acoustic guitars don't do it for me.

I was considering flying out to Chicago for the show, but I think I'm going to go to Montreal for Mutek instead. Well, once I see the lineup....

Anyhow, I'll actually contribute properly to this thread. Let me see, last 5 CDs...

Aarktica - Pure Tone Audiometry
Venetian Snares - Find Candace
Contrastate - Throwing Out the Baby With the Bathwater
Contrastate - i
the latest Fax CDs (Anthony Rother, SOL, the Silence MP3 disc)
Opeth - Deliverance
HAT - DSP Holiday

OK, that's more than five. Oh well.

- Chris

Mar 14, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #165 of 6,671
Can't comment on the guitars because we're discussing a friend. (Let's stop for now.)

There's a strong possibility I'll see the WARP show in NYC at the end of this month, and Rostropovich conducting Shostakovich as well, possibly with Vengerov playing. It all depends on my recording schedule.

I've been meaning to hear Find Candace (since you can tell I own Doll Doll Doll). If ever you wanted to send a sample mp3 to my e-mail address, I doubt I'd stop you.

I'm not understanding why you like Pure Tone Audiometry, though, since I've been reading it's song-oriented and the cut I heard had (in my view) vocals mixed too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back