Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Apr 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #6,302 of 6,671
Two Rammstein singles came from Poland today and then the two Solstice albums from Amazon came yesterday as well.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #6,305 of 6,671

Burial - Rival Dealer

I remember the previous Burial EP being pretty good but thinking it was too much like what he'd already done before. This EP however is really fresh and very, very good. Highly recommended.

The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.

I'm not even going try to argue that The Black Eyed Peas is "good" music, but I have always really enjoyed their music for some reason. I don't recall what it was that reminded me of the group recently but that immediately made me think "Is The E.N.D. available on vinyl?" A quick search and indeed it is. My local record store was able to get me a copy surprisingly swiftly. Out of the band's discography, this album in particular I've always really liked – The Beginning on the other hand is (for the most part) really awful. Despite being pushed to be quite loud, the CD version of this album sounds reeeally good. The engineers really knew what they were doing including their knowledge of how to make the album loud in steps without completely ruining everything. I am certainly interested to hear how the vinyl sounds.

Metsatöll - Hiiekoda

My first Metsatöll album. Some people have hailed this album as the "greatest folk metal album of all time". I can't comment on that yet having not heard the album, but I certainly like the artwork at least.

Gloria Cheng & Calder Quartet - Messiaen / Saariaho: The Edge of Light

The cover attracted me to this release. I quickly looked up some comments on the album on my phone while I was at the store and it sounded interesting. I have only heard some of Kaija Saariaho's music but what I have heard has intrigued me. This female composer's music has some interesting qualities to it.

Before picking up this album and going to browse the store's music selection, I ordered a digital piano from their instrument section. It should arrive in a week or two. I have no idea how to play it, but I'm going to set aside time to mess around with it during the summer. Later on I might look up some interactive guides and maybe even go to some basic piano lessons, but I don't actually have very much interest in familiarizing myself with western music theory and tradition. I don't think there are any rules in music and following a certain doctrine is not something I wish to do. Understanding one approach to music can be helpful but I don't want to limit myself. Azurium, whose music I enjoy a great deal, told me in an exchange he had with me that he has no knowledge of music theory. That is the most recent factor that has encouraged me to buy an instrument without feeling a pressing need to go to music lessons and all that jazz (my music education in school taught me practically nothing). My cousin is also working on finishing up his first solo album and he has practically taught himself to play the keyboard over the years so perhaps he can also give me some pointers if need be.

I also have interest in acquiring some form of device that would allow me create and program beats and rhythms with my fingers at some point. My cousin plays the drums himself and has told me for years he thinks I have a good sense of rhythm. I did consider getting an electronic drum set some years back, but the way how a drum set is played physically does not appeal to me. I also do plan to buy the Vocaloid software at some point to take a crack at programming music and experimenting with DTM (Desktop Music). I'm awakening a bit late to my creative side, first through amateur photography and then writing to now music, but better late than never I guess. At the moment I have no particular goals as far as music goes, I just want to see what I can do and how much I can figure out on my own.

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #6,310 of 6,671
Some latest acquisitions. My birthday is just around the corner so quite a few of these are things I recommended people to get for me.

Alcest - Shelter [limited edition copper-colored vinyl]

Pictures do absolutely no justice to it, but the copper-colored vinyl looks phenomenally pretty.

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses [Record Store Day 2014 reissue]

My only RSD acquisition this year. I didn't even know this was being reissued yesterday, but when I happened to visit the record store and see it I of course had to have it because the album is really good and the artwork very nice.

Behemoth - The Satanist

I'm happy I finally checked this album out. Haven't listened to it fully yet, but it sounds really promising. Haven't bought any new death metal in a while so I'm interested to hear this. If the album is indeed as good as everyone seems to think, I'll definitely be getting the double vinyl as well.

Céline Bonacina Trio - Open Heart

How many petite young ladies do you know who play jazz with a baritone saxophone? That's what I thought.

Deafheaven - Roads to Judah
http://deafheavens.bandcamp.com/album/roads-to-judah

I finally saw this at my local record store, and the price wasn't bad either. My Deafheaven collection is now complete, apart from possibly trying to get this on vinyl later if it's any good.

Heinz Sauer & Michael Wollny - Melancholia

I've never heard Heinz Sauer before although he seems to be somewhat of a legend. Michael Wollny is of course a genius. This album has received quite a lot of praise so I'm certainly intrigued to hear it.

Julian & Roman Wasserfuhr - Gravity

Julian Wasserfuhr's trumpet tone is really amazing. Really recommended for fans of jazz trumpet and especially players like Chet Baker and the like.

Lavinia Meijer - Visions [hybrid pure DSD SACD]
http://www.channelclassics.com/meijer-29709.html

If you love harp but have never heard Lavinia Meijer, you've really been missing out.

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Samdhi

Rudresh Mahanthappa is a man whose music everyone on the planet should listen to. Everyone. He is doing things I wish a lot more people were. He and Vijay Iyer have really inspired me to listen to and learn about the Indian classical music as well as gamelan.

Supersilent - 6

My second Supersilent album. My cousin recommended this group to me at the end of last year and I got their debut triple album 1-3 for Christmas. It took me several listens to learn to appreciate, but I must say I really learned to like it once I put in the effort. My expectations for this album are quite high; hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Tuomas Holopainen - The Life and Times of Scrooge [limited edition 2-disc mediabook edition]

In case the name Tuomas Holopainen doesn't ring any bells, he is the keyboard player and songwriter from Nightwish, a name which hopefully rings more bells with some of you at least. As the title states, this first solo project of his features music inspired by Don Rosa's new graphic novel. My cousin is currently studying composition and music technology in London, and one of his teachers has done the arrangements for orchestra for the latest two Nightwish albums as well as this new album by Holopainen. My cousin got to attend the recording session for the orchestra in London with his teacher and actually mentioned to me he even appears on one of the tracks, which I didn't know about. I didn't happen to ask what it was he got to do, but I assume maybe he's part of a male choir somewhere because he used to be a choir boy back in the day for several years. He talked about "a western song", but I haven't actually had the time to listen to the album myself so I'm not even sure which track that is. Anyway, for multiple reasons I really couldn't pass on this album. At the very least it is a very interesting project.

Vladyslav Sendecki - Solo Piano at Schloss Elmau

Walter Norris & Leszek Możdżer - The Last Set: Live at the A-Trane

かめりあ (camellia) - Drag the ground

This is the official theme song for the Good Smile Racing Super GT team for 2014. They won the GT300 championship in 2011 and have won the first race that has been driven so far this year.

EasyPop - ラブマジックディスコ (LoveMagicDisco)

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6,311 of 6,671
Ron Jeremy - Understanding and Appreciating Classical Music 7" (RSD Release)
Soundgarden - Superunknown Singles 10" Set (RSD Release)
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions 12" (RSD Release)
Coldplay - Parachutes 12"
Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head 12"

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #6,314 of 6,671

Well I just got The Bob Dylan Mono Box Set in the mail! Overall I'm very satisfied! I can finally listen to Dylan without his harmonica piercing my ears. Now what to do now with my stereo copies. :rolleyes:

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #6,315 of 6,671
Lets see.... 

I think that's it 
gs1000.gif

Edit: I lied 
tongue.gif

And JUST pulled the trigger on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back