Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jun 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #5,807 of 6,671
My record buying spree continues. Here's five albums I bought this weekend. I feel a bit like when I only had two hundred CDs and used to buy like two dozen albums at once from my local record store, just to do the same a couple weeks later after listening through the stacks.

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada

Devin Townsend - Terria

Bonobo - The North Borders

They also had "The North Borders" on LP for a really reasonable price, but like I've mentioned before I only buy stuff on vinyl that's, a) not available on CD, or b) one of my personal favorites. Since I haven't heard more than very short previews of a couple of the songs I can hardly say if the LP is worthy of being part of my vinyl collection. Also, when I added "Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada" to my collection on Rate Your Music I was slightly puzzled because it was tagged as both 33rpm and 45rpm. I wondered if the two sides were recorded at different speeds and when I took the disc out of the jacket it turned out that's exactly what they did. Since side A is only eleven minutes they decided to maximize the sound quality by cutting it at a higher speed than side B, which is close to twenty minutes in length and would therefore only fit at 33⅓rpm. I really appreciate this even though now I have to switch speeds while changing sides.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #5,808 of 6,671
One of the only Back to Black releases that I think sounds good. That Downward Spiral cut is excellent. Prefer it to my SACD.

How is Terria? I've had my eye on the latest pressings of his stuff after getting my SYL box. Beautiful album.

As for Bonobo...I bought the LP and really like it. The first half is excellent. Definitely worth investing in the whole thing.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5,809 of 6,671
Quote:
One of the only Back to Black releases that I think sounds good. That Downward Spiral cut is excellent. Prefer it to my SACD.

How is Terria? I've had my eye on the latest pressings of his stuff after getting my SYL box. Beautiful album.

As for Bonobo...I bought the LP and really like it. The first half is excellent. Definitely worth investing in the whole thing.

The SACD is stellar so if the LP is indeed better I really look forward to hearing it. Can't comment on the Terria LP before my turntable arrives, which should hopefully happen within a week or two.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5,810 of 6,671
The SACD is stellar so if the LP is indeed better I really look forward to hearing it. Can't comment on the Terria LP before my turntable arrives, which should hopefully happen within a week or two.

As with most NIN releases I feel it's done a bit hot. Unless your vinyl rig is pretty analytical it fixes that. It's very good, I thought.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #5,811 of 6,671
The two discs I paid customs for a week ago finally arrived today. I don't remember DHL ever being this slow in the past. I also went to my local record store to buy Burzum's new album. I tried looking it up yesterday on Spotify which I don't normally use because I've found his recent albums to be quite varying, but it wasn't available there yet. The most recent Cult of Luna was however, and after hearing it one and a half times I knew that I really liked the first half, and by that I mean the first disc of the LP version, but I'm still undecided on what I think of the latter half. Therefore I'm not quite sure if the album is worthy of being in my LP collection, but when I saw the store still had a few copied of the limited edition colored vinyl left, I felt tempted enough to purchase it. If I like the new Burzum, I'll probably go pick up the limited edition clear vinyl tomorrow, otherwise not.

ELECTROCUTICA - Piece of Cipher+

Various artists - MIKUNOPOLIS in LOS ANGELES "Happy to meet you! I'm HATSUNE MIKU"

Burzum - Sôl austan, Mâni vestan

Cult of Luna - Vertikal [limited edition colored vinyl]

Edit
OMG, the new Burzum is gorgeous. I'm definitely getting the vinyl tomorrow.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #5,812 of 6,671
Quote:
Godspeed.

I'm lifting my skinny fists as we speak....oh, I see what you mean
wink_face.gif

Actually, I gave it another try, and it's still sh%t. As much as I am a fan of both artistes (I was born in 1969 with a brother 9 years older than me, so I heard VU at quite an early age, and then was a teenager through the fledgling years of thrash), and was genuinely quite excited to hear the outcome, it's still sh%t.

I won't kill your pets, though. That may be slightly over-zealous.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #5,813 of 6,671
U have good taste. Those 2 godspeed albums are my favorite.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #5,815 of 6,671
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has a soft spot for Buruzm when he's in ambient/fantasy mode. I will say that I tend to lean more toward the 'it's so bad it's good' side of things with regards to his albums in this genre (it pretty much sounds exactly like you'd imagine a particularly grim middle-aged nerd noodling around on cheap keyboards would sound like), but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I pre-ordered the new one, and am still waiting impatiently for it to show up. @.@

Edit: It's sort of hard to take the man seriously when he uses a Papyrus font on the cover of his album though. I just noticed this, lol.
Edit part two: Well, assuming that you already don't take him seriously for various other, probably more compelling reasons. 

Quote:
Edit
OMG, the new Burzum is gorgeous. I'm definitely getting the vinyl tomorrow.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #5,816 of 6,671
Quote:
Jeez they repressed Vertikal already? BOB is at it again with the CD masters.

I believe the colored vinyl was released for Record Store Day.

Quote:
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has a soft spot for Buruzm when he's in ambient/fantasy mode. I will say that I tend to lean more toward the 'it's so bad it's good' side of things with regards to his albums in this genre (it pretty much sounds exactly like you'd imagine a particularly grim middle-aged nerd noodling around on cheap keyboards would sound like), but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I pre-ordered the new one, and am still waiting impatiently for it to show up. @.@

Edit: It's sort of hard to take the man seriously when he uses a Papyrus font on the cover of his album though. I just noticed this, lol.
Edit part two: Well, assuming that you already don't take him seriously for various other, probably more compelling reasons. 

The new album sounds better than the ones he made in prison (understandably). It is also less dark and lonely. I had no idea what to expect, but I really enjoy it. I've been hoping Varg would eventually release another ambient album after being released and I'm really happy with what he made.

Got the new Burzum on vinyl and also bought what might well be my favorite album by The Beatles. Surprisingly I also received a second copy of Aeolian by Om Unit in the mail today. Dunno what to do with two, but perhaps I can find someone I can gift it to. Also the corner of the first one I received had been bent in the mail and the second one seems OK, so I'm happy to now have one that's in better shape.

http://omunit.bandcamp.com/album/aeolian-ep

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #5,817 of 6,671
Just got through listening to it. Certainly higher quality than his prison duo, but still pretty dated sounding. This would have sounded brand new in the 70s, not so much anymore. Good though--not nearly as cheesy as his previous forays into music like this, and obviously it's a lot better textured. Still sort of sounds like old-school RPG computer game music, but that's Varg's charm, and that's what keeps me going back to his prison albums. This makes me happy. Nice step up after Umskiptar. ^^

That said, he's supposedly quit black metal altogether now, so if he's going to keep doing stuff like this I hope we can expect a nice evolution out of him. I've got a solid liking for Varg's music, but I don't want to have to buy the same album from him year after year, lol.
Quote:
I believe the colored vinyl was released for Record Store Day.

The new album sounds better than the ones he made in prison (understandably). It is also less dark and lonely. I had no idea what to expect, but I really enjoy it. I've been hoping Varg would eventually release another ambient album after being released and I'm really happy with what he made.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #5,818 of 6,671
The five albums I ordered last week through my local record store arrived today.

Boris - New Album

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Madonna - Erotica

Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa

Owen Pallett - Heartland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back