Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Dec 4, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #496 of 6,671
Wagner's Parsifal. 5 Phillips LPS. Knappertsbusch, Hotter, London, Thomas, Dalis, etc. From Bayreuth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #497 of 6,671
1. David Sylvain - Gone To Earth
2. Combustible Edison - I Swinger
3. Peppermint Teahouse - The Best of Shoukichi Kina
4. Happy Rhodes - Many Worlds Are Born Tonight
5. Chicks On Speed - Rereleases of the unreleases

ok,
erix

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #499 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake
Why did you hate it? This sounds like good info; please share.
cool.gif

Well, I really think its the worst album ever by this band, even worse than the worst songs in "Load" and "ReLoad". The songs are simplistic, the sound is dirty and they seem to have listened to a lot of Nu-metal bands, but getting only the worst elements of the genre. This guys are great musicians, but they certainly don't let it show on this album. I mean, as a first album from a new band, it would have been okay, but after their first five albums, and the one with the San Francisco Symphonic, they should have given us something better. Anyway, I gave the CD to my older niece, and it's giving me a chance to introduce her to their older material, so I thing I've found a use for it after all.

And she likes "The Haunted" and death metal bands a lot. I think I created a monster
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #500 of 6,671
1. Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
2. Hoobastank - The Reason
3. Burnt By The Sun - The Perfect Is The Enemy Of The Good
4. The Who - 30 Years Of Maximum R&B box set
5. Thrice - The Artist In The Ambulance

Dec 8, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #501 of 6,671
5CDs Helene Grimaud on piano. (No pix of her
frown.gif
)
These sound fine on the PCDP and cost only about $18 including shipping on ebay!

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #502 of 6,671
1) Dave Holland Quintet-Extended Play: Live at Birdland
2)Bela Fleck-Little Worlds
3)Wayne Shorter-Footprints Live!
4)Brecker/Hargrove/Hancock-New Directions
5)Kenny Wheeler-Angel Song

Dec 10, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #503 of 6,671
Hm.
1)A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
2)Collide - Chasing the Ghost (It's my absolute favourite CD; wheee!)
3)St. Eve - Demonstration
4)The Azoic - Forward...
And I *think* the one before that was one of the "Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040" soundtracks. Yes, I am a geek. How'd you know?
smily_headphones1.gif

bat_angel.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #504 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
Well, I really think its the worst album ever by this band, even worse than the worst songs in "Load" and "ReLoad". The songs are simplistic, the sound is dirty and they seem to have listened to a lot of Nu-metal bands, but getting only the worst elements of the genre.

(snip)

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, 'Load' did seem rather a letdown from Black, as you say less polished. But to old metalheads 'polished' seems to be a bad thing so...?
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #506 of 6,671
B0000067RI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Haunting, and mesmerizing at the same time. Beautiful.

I first heard the title cut from this during the season finale of "ER" last year. This 1997 CD by Jamshied Sharifi is apparently out of print already for some reason. Interestingly, Paula Cole is among the (many) vocalists credited.

Difficult to come by, I recently found my copy (finally!) used on Half.com, but you can purchase/download desired tracks from here (I cannot vouch for this site though).

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #507 of 6,671
Scored the first three Ring operas by Wagner for cheap on ebay: the Phillips/Bohm/Bayreuth performances. Haven't had a chance to listen yet (its a big project!), but I doubt whether it will beat the London/Solti/Vienna.

Dec 19, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #509 of 6,671
CDs

Rubber Soul
Pet Sounds
Haydn: The Symphonies / Doráti, Philharmonia Hungarica
Rachmaninov: Symphony No 2, Vocalise, Etc /André Previn, Lso
Haydn: String Quartets Op 20 / Mosaïques Quartet
Schubert: Symphonies No 5, 8, & 9 / Solti, Vienna Po
Dido, Life for Rent
Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words / Daniel Barenboim
Richard Strauss In High Fidelity / Fritz Reiner, Chicago

DVDs

Once Were Warriors
The Virgin Suicides
Lost in Translation
Seabiscuit
Whale Rider
Once Upon a Time in the West

Dec 20, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #510 of 6,671
Goin' after some top notch LP recordings

Count Basie and His Orchestra Swings/Tony Bennet Sings:
Remaster from 1958 which sounds better than most modern day recordings. 200 gram LP

Genesis - Foxtrot: Excellent master while Peter Gabriel was still with band. Phil Collins on drums, and Steve Hackett on guitar. LP

Average White Band - Self titled (Pick up the pieces, Work to do, and so on). Remastered by MSFL. A little dull on the high end, otherwise a masterful album

Peter Gabriel 4 (I think it was called "Security" on CD) Clean and potent. 200 gram vinyl (heavier vinyl prevents needle sea sickness).

Beck-Ola - Jeff Beck on guitar, and Rod Stewart on vocals, Ron Wood on Bass, and Nicky Hopkins on Drums. I think this one is the original batch from late 60's/ early'70's. They were in their teens when they made this one, b4 their solo careers. Sound quality is less than desirable, but music is intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back