Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #3,063 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JSaliga,
Have you found the 4-track tapes to stay in their original condition better than vinyl? I like to listen to my albums a lot so I've had some wear problems on several used vinyl I've picked up from the Princeton Record Exchange. I'm hoping wear isn't that much of an issue with 4-track.

Thanks for any input,
Paul

Paul, I think that stereo tape is much less circulated than vinyl and in the 1960s and 1970s it was THE audiophile format. It was expensive and not many people had it. Those that could afford it had a tendency to take very good care of it.

With that said, I have had a few sellers try to pawn some pretty beat up tapes off on me. I am in the middle of a dispute right now with a guy on eBay who sent me a beat to death Heifetz tape that he claimed was excellent and I bid it up to $50.

But then again I just received a box of 52 classical LPs that a seller claimed was mostly VG++, with several NM records and about 4 VG records mixed in. It was a box full of junk, probably stuff that the seller could not move out their store so he figured he would dump it on someone on eBay. All of the desirable records in the lot (RCA Victor and DG) were scratched beyond playability, and the few albums that were good physically didn't amount to anything I would want to keep in my library. Who wants 1970s and 1980s RCA Red Seal reissues on wafer thin vinyl? Not me.

Still, I really do love the sound of 1/4" stereo tape and the vast majority of tapes I have bought were really wonderful. I have a few were the boxes are beat up pretty badly but the tape sounds perfect. With vinyl when I see a beat up jacket that is usually an indicator that what's inside is in equally bad shape.

--Jerome

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #3,064 of 6,671
I just bought:

Tool - 10,000 Days
This is an amazing album with an equally amazing case. It has lenses in it and stereoscopic images inside that you view through the lenses when you open the case. My favourite tool album is Lateralus (10,000 days is up there too) and that cover art is pure awesome. If you see it, get it, if just for the case
tongue.gif
and the amazing music.

The Electric Joe Satriani, An Anthology
I wanted an intro to some of his music and this compilation was going cheap at JB.

Pink Floyd - Animals

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #3,067 of 6,671
Iron Maiden - "The Number of the Beast" (1st release)
Iron Maiden - "Piece of Mind" (1998 remaster ECD)
Iron Maiden - "Somewhere in Time" (1998 remaster ECD)
Megadeth - "Peace Sells" (Capitol 1st release)
Slayer - "Hell Awaits" (Metal Blade 1993 remaster)
Slayer - "South of Heaven"
Opeth - "My Arms, Your Hearse" (Candlelight US 2008 re-release)
Control Denied - "The Fragile Art of Existence"
Morbid Angel - "Covenant"
Morbid Angel - "Domination"
Death - "Scream Bloody Gore" (1999 reissue)
Death - "Leprosy" (1998 reissue)
Death - "Symbolic"
Death - "Live in L.A."
Bruce Dickinson - "Accident of Birth"

75.jpg
76.jpg
79.jpg
662.jpg

208.jpg
214.jpg
140.jpg
2013.jpg

596.jpg
cov1538.jpg
598.jpg
599.jpg

616.jpg
623.jpg
s14027.jpg

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #3,069 of 6,671
Common Market - Tobacco Road
(finally released on vinyl... 2 LP's with bonus tracks.)

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 'The Purple Box'
(I'm not sure what this is officially known as, but it is the 8 LP purple box with 56 unreleased tracks on 180 gram vinyl that was released by Experience Hendrix back in 2000. A local shop had one copy left that was in the storeroom for years, and I swooped it up for $75. A serious bargain...)

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #3,070 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 'The Purple Box'
(I'm not sure what this is officially known as, but it is the 8 LP purple box with 56 unreleased tracks on 180 gram vinyl that was released by Experience Hendrix back in 2000. A local shop had one copy left that was in the storeroom for years, and I swooped it up for $75. A serious bargain...)

Nice!
icon10.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #3,071 of 6,671
Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cardinology
Richard Thompson - Ducknapped!
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - She's The One
Tom Petty - Wildflowers

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #3,073 of 6,671
Frank Zappa- Grand Wazoo
Frank Zappa- Overnite Sensation
Frank Zappa- Apostrophe

Buckethead- Monsters and Robots
Buckethead- The Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell
Praxis- Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis)

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #3,074 of 6,671
MGMT - "Oracular Spectacular"
Gibson - "Hot Tones in High Definition"
Above & Beyond - "Anjunabeats, Vol. 6"
Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue"
Van Halen - "1984"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back