Today, more than 5 though..

"Brothers In Arms" - Dire Straits
"Love Over Gold" - Dire Straits
"The Illusionist SoundTrack" - Philip Glass
"Amused To Death" - Roger Waters
"Worlds Apart" - Saga
"When It Falls" - Zero 7

Jun 4, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #2,223 of 6,671
The Song Remains the Same - Led Zeppelin (finally upgraded this one to CD)
Pulse - Pink Floyd (finally picked this one up)
The Last Waltz - The Bank (finally picked this one up)
() - Sigur Ros
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (finally picked this one up)
Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges (finally picked this one up)
Music Has the Right to Children - Boards of Canada

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #2,225 of 6,671
1. Fantomas - "Delirium Cordia"

19201_216.jpg

2. James Blackshaw - "O True Believers"

imprec084.jpg

3. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - "In Glorious Times"

SGM_InGloriousTimes.jpg

4. Dodheimsgard - "Supervillian Outcast"

128589nw2.jpg

5. Cornelius - "Sensuous"

800708510.jpg

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #2,228 of 6,671
Glenn Gould: Goldberg Variations (Zenph re-performance)
Tori Amos: American Doll Posse
Lila Downs: Border/La Linea
Nigel Kennedy: The Blue Note Sessions
Paul Simon: Graceland remastered

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2,229 of 6,671
The last time I bought music was the day before Tower closed, and I bought about 25 strange things.

Last Wednesday, I went to a store and bought:

Tom Petty: The Last DJ
Soundtrack: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Soundtrack: Moulin Rouge
The Beatles: Love
Various: The 12 Cartoon Classics You Love

Love is great. I'm dissapointed by Last DJ because it is way too loud. Painful to listen to and everything all scrunched together all at once. Feh.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #2,230 of 6,671
Simple Minds - "The Best Of Simple Minds"
Norah Jones - "Not Too Late"
Evanescence - "The Open Door"
Paul Oakenfold - "Tranceport"
Nine Inch Nails - "With Teeth"

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #2,231 of 6,671
Only one today, but I was spending the long weekend out at Bribie Island, and couldn't resist checking out the secondhand record/teddy bear (!) store at Worrim. Funny little place, considering it's location, just lots of lps, a few cassettes, no cds, and a whole lot of bears, owned by an old couple who were happy to open on the public holiday.

Anyhow, they had several crates of Blues (I wanted to spend way more, but would have gotten shot for doing so), and almost immediately I found this:

It's in very good condition, and having never heard it before,
rs1smile.gif
. So glad I found it!

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #2,232 of 6,671
Picked up a bunch of odds and ends lately that I've wanted for awhile ...

Richard Buckner: Meadow (love this guy, all the way back to the Bloomed debut. Nice band on this one, and always great songs and voice, no radical departure, just classy, folksy, country music)

Richmond Fontaine: Thirteen cities (ditto above, the dusty story-based songs of singer Willy Vlautin always take me away. Recorded in Arizona with members of Calexico, the americana.uk site gave it a way over the top 10/10 ... "We live in a world of hyperbole and exaggeration which is a pity because when this album is called a masterpiece, such words lose some of their effect. But a masterpiece it is – daring, adventurous, literate, and consummate.")

Electrelane: No Shouts No Calls (love these Brighton ladies, especially with Steve Albini at the recording console, but on this one they stayed in Europe and Albini stayed in Chicago, but no complaints here. Some of the VU and Krautrock and Feelies influence falls away for some great pop sounds, and again, no complaints. Great record, by one of the best rock bands making music right now.)

The National: Boxer (what can you say when a band hits all the right spots, and does it with such class and flair? Immediately understated, but highly rewarding in the end. Keeps alive what I've always loved about Joy Division, and later rediscovered in those first couple Tindersticks records, and Sixteen Horsepower, and other favorites.)

Andrew Bird: Armchair Apocrypha (had a freebie for quite awhile now, and easily became one of my favorites of the year, so had to get the real one - Andrew Bird is one of the most special songwriters I know of today)

Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians (only heard, but never had a copy, until now. Classic stuff. This is the longer Nonsuch reissue from the late 90s. Easy 10 out of 10 on any of today's rating scales. Mind shifting, yet accessible avant garde post rock music - but from the 70s. Not like Pink Floyd psychedelia - think more like Tortoise, and Rachel's)

Fridge: Happiness (right up there with that great Manitoba "Up In Flames", and Hood "Cold House", and Notwist "Neon Golden", but this post rock is instrumental like Mogwai, although not like Mogwai.)

Rex: C (all things revolving around Red Red Meat and Califone and that whole Chicago family of bands will ultimately be mine. Call it a disease, but it makes me happy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Morphine: Cure for Pain (all things revolving around Sixteen Horsepower and Woven Hand and that whole family of Denver areas bands will ultimately be mine. Call it a disease, but it makes me happy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cat Power: The Greatest (skipped at the time last year, cause Moon Pix will always be my favorite, and I miss the wreckage, but I do still love Chan, and that voice works great in this setting too, even if not like it does on You Are Free or Moon Pix)

Palace: Viva Last Blues (Will Oldham is a long time favorite, picked up this on vinyl way back in the mid 90s, and it's still probably my favorite, another great Albini recording, but the turntable has been in mothballs for awhile due to moves, and I really needed to hear it again, and only $5.99 for the CD of a truly understated classic of the 90s - no brain needed for this buy)

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #2,233 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a bunch of odds and ends lately that I've wanted for awhile ...

Richard Buckner: Meadow (love this guy, all the way back to the Bloomed debut. Nice band on this one, and always great songs and voice, no radical departure, just classy, folksy, country music)

Richmond Fontaine: Thirteen cities (ditto above, the dusty story-based songs of singer Willy Vlautin always take me away. Recorded in Arizona with members of Calexico, the americana.uk site gave it a way over the top 10/10 ... "We live in a world of hyperbole and exaggeration which is a pity because when this album is called a masterpiece, such words lose some of their effect. But a masterpiece it is – daring, adventurous, literate, and consummate.")

Electrelane: No Shouts No Calls (love these Brighton ladies, especially with Steve Albini at the recording console, but on this one they stayed in Europe and Albini stayed in Chicago, but no complaints here. Some of the VU and Krautrock and Feelies influence falls away for some great pop sounds, and again, no complaints. Great record, by one of the best rock bands making music right now.)

The National: Boxer (what can you say when a band hits all the right spots, and does it with such class and flair? Immediately understated, but highly rewarding in the end. Keeps alive what I've always loved about Joy Division, and later rediscovered in those first couple Tindersticks records, and Sixteen Horsepower, and other favorites.)

Andrew Bird: Armchair Apocrypha (had a freebie for quite awhile now, and easily became one of my favorites of the year, so had to get the real one - Andrew Bird is one of the most special songwriters I know of today)

Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians (only heard, but never had a copy, until now. Classic stuff. This is the longer Nonsuch reissue from the late 90s. Easy 10 out of 10 on any of today's rating scales. Mind shifting, yet accessible avant garde post rock music - but from the 70s. Not like Pink Floyd psychedelia - think more like Tortoise, and Rachel's)

Fridge: Happiness (right up there with that great Manitoba "Up In Flames", and Hood "Cold House", and Notwist "Neon Golden", but this post rock is instrumental like Mogwai, although not like Mogwai.)

Rex: C (all things revolving around Red Red Meat and Califone and that whole Chicago family of bands will ultimately be mine. Call it a disease, but it makes me happy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Morphine: Cure for Pain (all things revolving around Sixteen Horsepower and Woven Hand and that whole family of Denver areas bands will ultimately be mine. Call it a disease, but it makes me happy
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cat Power: The Greatest (skipped at the time last year, cause Moon Pix will always be my favorite, and I miss the wreckage, but I do still love Chan, and that voice works great in this setting too, even if not like it does on You Are Free or Moon Pix)

Palace: Viva Last Blues (Will Oldham is a long time favorite, picked up this on vinyl way back in the mid 90s, and it's still probably my favorite, another great Albini recording, but the turntable has been in mothballs for awhile due to moves, and I really needed to hear it again, and only $5.99 for the CD of a truly understated classic of the 90s - no brain needed for this buy)

Davey,
Thanks for the heads-up on your recent acquisitions. I have been missing your literate and insightful reviews. I completely agree with your comments on The National. (recently saw them live with Arcade Fire at The Tower Theater in Philadelphia...they were great...I thought that they actually eclipsed Arcade Fire.) I love the discs that you mention by Morphine, Cat Power, and Andrew Bird. These are all discs that I own and appreciate. "Rex" sounds really interesting. As you might recall, I'm with you on that "Chicago-family of bands. Haven't been disappointed yet. I need to check them out...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #2,235 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Davey, Thanks for the heads-up on your recent acquisitions.

Before she gave up, my girlfriend used to say "Don't you already have all the music you need?" ... or "Don't you already have all the music?" ... but like I said, she gave up. I think you (and a bunch of others around here) understand
wink.gif

Still, can't get Broken Social Scene out of rotatinn right now. Talk about falling in love all over again ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back