Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Sep 1, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #1,771 of 6,671
^ Ah I see. Nope, I've read that both are about the same. Been meaning to buy that album for a while, so I was hoping you'd clue ME in!

The ability to rip is a huge advantage that DVD-A's possess. However, for player listening, I enjoy that SACD's don't require the monitor/menu system. Thank god for universals!

Well in keeping with the thread, my last purchase was:

Beethoven: The Symphonies (SACD) - box set - Karajan

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #1,772 of 6,671
Just bought:

Heifetz "it ain't necessarily so": Legendary Classic and Jazz Studio Takes

-a Deutsche Grammophon record

Sep 2, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #1,773 of 6,671
I uhhh... went a little overboard today:

Leaves' Eyes - [Legend Land]
Mercyful Fate - [In The Shadows]
Project Hate MCMXCIX - [Armageddon March Eternal]
Project Pitchfork - [Eon : Eon]
Theatre of Tragedy - [Aegis]
Tristania - [Beyond the Veil]
Tristania - [Ashes]
Velvet Acid Christ - [Twisted Thought Generator]
:wumpscut: - [Bunker Gate Seven]
:wumpscut: - [Eevil Young Flesh]
:wumpscut: - [Music For A Slaughtering Tribe]

Sep 5, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #1,776 of 6,671
Been a while since I posted...here goes for this week...

AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
Cursive - Domestica
Tool - Opiate, Undertow
Comets On Fire - Avatar
Gatsbys American Dream - Gatsbys American Dream
Norma Jean - O God The Aftermath
White Whale - WWI
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Sep 5, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #1,777 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by djmenace52
Been a while since I posted...here goes for this week...

Spooky...me too.
So anyways, heres my latest...

Nightmars on Wax - In a Space Outta Sound
Zap Mama - Adventures in Afropea 1
Broadcast - Tenderbuttons
The Knife - Silent Shout
Sinead O'Connor - Gospel Oak ep
These People are Nuts - An I.R.S. label comp...Cheesy 80's stuff, but fun anyhow..
Lo-Fidelity All-Stars - How to Operate with a Blown Mind

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #1,778 of 6,671
I got these from eMusic.com as part of a free 25-download trial:

Trespassers William - Different Stars
Rothko - A Continual Search for Origins
Laika - Lost in Space Vol. 1 - German Shepherds
Laika - Lost in Space Vol. 2 - Lower Than Stars

First experience downloading music, was kinda cool. I'd continue with an eMusic subscription but I just prefer CD-quality sound too much.
redface.gif

Sep 15, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #1,779 of 6,671
“Modern Times” [Deluxe Edition] - Bob Dylan
“Game Theory” - The Roots
“Blush Music” - Woven Hand
“Definitive Pop: Dr. John” - Dr. John
“Return To Cookie Mountain” - TV On The Radio
“I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass” - Yo La Tengo
“Sahara Blue” - Hector Zazou
“Lights In The Dark” - Hector Zazou
“Songs From The Cold Seas” - Hector Zazou
“Mosaic” - Woven Hand

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #1,780 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
“Modern Times” [Deluxe Edition] - Bob Dylan
“Game Theory” - The Roots
“Blush Music” - Woven Hand
“Definitive Pop: Dr. John” - Dr. John
“Return To Cookie Mountain” - TV On The Radio
“I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass” - Yo La Tengo
“Sahara Blue” - Hector Zazou
“Lights In The Dark” - Hector Zazou
“Songs From The Cold Seas” - Hector Zazou
“Mosaic” - Woven Hand

Wow, Zazou overload! Hey, let me know what you think of that Blush Music. Might be in my future too if you give me the good word. Yo La Tengo too. I haven't picked up the last couple because I already has so much Tengo, but this new one sure is getting raves. Many say it's a match for the sprawling, loveable "Heart Beating". Dr. John, eh? Always loved that sound from the Gris-Gris and Gumbo days. Have a few of his old records. How'd ya like the Dr. John voodoo workout in that Spiritualized "Cop Shoot Cop" closer? The guitar chords that open that song and form the basis of the melody, or bridge, or riff, or whatever it's called in this case when there isn't much structure, always reminded me of the great opener from Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden called "The Rainbow". Actually, it was totally ripped off, but still makes for great song because of Dr. John's piano voodoo, and the amazing waterfalls of guitar noise
smily_headphones1.gif

Not much new stuff for me in the last couple months except for the recent Neko Case "Fox Confessor" and Wovenhand "Mosaic", but I do feel a big splurge coming on in the next month as about 5 of my favorites are hitting the shelves with new ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #1,781 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Wow, Zazou overload!

Yeah, quite a bit of Zazou. I guess you might say that I was impressed with "Sahara Blue." I'll be getting to "Songs From The Cold Seas" and "Lights In The Dark" when the moment feels right.

Quote:

Hey, let me know what you think of that Blush Music. Might be in my future too if you give me the good word. Yo La Tengo too. I haven't picked up the last couple because I already has so much Tengo, but this new one sure is getting raves. Many say it's a match for the sprawling, loveable "Heart Beating".

I will do that. I haven't actually received "Mosaic" yet, but it might be in the mail today. I was really anxious for the new Yo La Tengo. I have listened to it once already, [...in the car] and my early feel is that the rave reviews are justified. Definitely an eclectic collection of songs. [...and a great opening track that's almost eleven minutes long] I will be listening more carefully to it with the headphones later today.

Quote:

Dr. John, eh? Always loved that sound from the Gris-Gris and Gumbo days. Have a few of his old records. How'd ya like the Dr. John voodoo workout in that Spiritualized "Cop Shoot Cop" closer? The guitar chords that open that song and form the basis of the melody, or bridge, or riff, or whatever it's called in this case when there isn't much structure, always reminded me of the great opener from Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden called "The Rainbow". Actually, it was totally ripped off, but still makes for great song because of Dr. John's piano voodoo, and the amazing waterfalls of guitar noise.

I recently watched Spike Lee's new documentary on post-Katrina New Orleans, "When The Levees Broke" on HBO. It is a rather eye-opening examination of the whole, mostly under-reported, story. My oldest friend and I were in New Orleans and Biloxi for the first time just weeks before Katrina and fell in Love with the area. [...talk about an area just awash daily in its musical heritage] Got a big dose of Dr John, and other Jazz, Blues, Cajun, Voodoo Cajun etc. music down there, and have been waiting for the right collection ever since. I think that this one might be it. Ever since I was there I seem to have a periodic need for an injection of that New Orleans musical spirit and Spike Lee's film pushed me to do something about it...
cool.gif
[...actually, I think that's why I have been so into the "roots" kind of sound in the music of Califone, Red Red Meat, Sixteen Horsepower etc. over the last year...]

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #1,782 of 6,671
I am waiting delivery sometime next week for:

Danielson-Ships
John Cash-American V
Ali Farka Toure-Savane
Porcupine Tree-In absentia
M. Ward-Post war
Bob Dylan-Modern times
Postal service-Give up
Beirut-Gulag orkestar
Grizzly bear-Yellow house

Looks promising...