Your 10 favorite Songwriters?
Feb 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
In this thread please list your favorite songwriters. If it's a band such as Radiohead, please pinpoint the writers. Please also include the name of a song which exemplifies what you love about their songwriting.

This thread is not limited to any genre! However, please keep in mind that classical composers generally are not considered songwriters, so please don't include Beethoven, Mozart, Bach etc:)

-Dave

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 19
Morrissey : Seasick, yet still docked.
Neil Young : Motion Pictures
Roy Orbison : In Dreams
Johnny Cash : Ring of Fire
David Bowie : Letter to Hermione
Mikael Akerfeldt (of Opeth) : A Fair Judgment
Thom Yorke (of Radiohead) : Nude
Jeff Buckley : Lover, You Should Have Come Over
Bob Dylan : Standing in the Doorway, Ballad of Hollis Brown

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Here would be my list....

20. Thom Yorke / Johnny Greenwood (of Radiohead): Paranoid Android; Pyramid Song; Fake Plastic Trees
19. George Gershwin - Someone To Watch Over Me; Summertime; I Loves You Porgy
18. Bob Dylan - Just Like A Woman; Like A Rolling Stone; Idiot Wind
17. Neil Young - After The Gold Rush; Don't Let It Bring You Down; For The Turnstiles
16. Dave Holland - Prime Directive; Candlelight Vigil; Conference Of The Birds
15. George Harrison - Long, Long, Long; My Sweet Lord; Something
14. Arthur Lee (of Love) - The Red Telephone; You Set The Scene; Andmoreagain
13. Elton John / Bernie Taupin - Harmony; Burn Down The Mission; Someone Saved My Life Tonight
12. Duke Ellington - East St Louis Toodle-Oo; Mood Indigo; The Mooche
11. Wayne Shorter - Juju; Speak No Evil; Infant Eyes
10. Tony Banks / Peter Gabriel / Michael Rutherford / Steve Hackett / Phil Collins (of Genesis): Firth Of Fifth / The Lamia / Chamber of 32 Doors
9. Donald Fagen / Walter Becker (of Steely Dan): Aja; Doctor Wu; Here At The Western World
8. Billy Strayhorn - Lush Life; Daydream; Snibor
7. Charles Mingus - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat; Remember Rockefeller at Attica
6. Brian Wilson - God Only Knows; Surf's Up; Caroline No
5. Chick Corea - The Romantic Warrior; No Mystery; Double Image
4. John Lennon - I Am The Walrus; Strawberry Fields Forever; Imagine
3. Paul McCartney - Blackbird; The Long and Winding Road; Here Today
2. Joni Mitchell - The Boho Dance; Lesson In Survival; A Case Of You
1. Elliott Smith - Oh Well, Okay; LA; Alameda

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 19
1. Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood: 15 Step, Optimistic, Reckoner, Atoms for Peace (solo Thom), There There, Fog
2. Birgisson/Holm/etc. (Sigur Ros): Flugufrelsarinn, Agaetis byrjun, Glosoli, Illgresi
3. Jon Foreman (Switchfoot/solo): Yesterdays, The Cure for Pain, Southbound Train
4. Lennon/McCartney: If I Needed Someone, Happiness is a Warm Gun, etc...
5. Morrissey/Marr: Cemetery Gates, There is a Light that Never Goes Out, Reel Around the Fountain
6. Coyne/Ivins (Flaming Lips): Do You Realize?, Race for the Price
7. Cobain: Serve the Servants, All Apologies, Pennyroyal Tea
8. Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse): Gravity Rides Everything, The World at Large
9. Jeff Magnum (Neutal Milk Hotel): The King of Carrot Flowers, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
10. Stipe/Buck (REM): Radio Free Europe, Harborcoat, Swan Swan H, Nightswimming
11. Tucker/Brownstein (Sleater-Kinney): Call the Doctor, Dig Me Out, Start Together, Entertain, Jumpers
12. Elliott Smith: very many

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 19
Stuck mainly to rock, no jazz - in no particular order:

Bob Dylan - Idiot Wind, Shelter from the Storm, Like a Rolling Stone, Visions of Johanna, Desolation Row, Times They Are a Changing
Pete Townshend - Who's Next, Tommy
John Lennon - Norwegian Wood, LSD, Julia
Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed, Eleanor Rigby, We Can Work It Out
Billy Corgan - Mayonaise, 1979, Today
Elton John - Philadelphia Freedom, Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Jagger/Richards - Can't Always Get What You Want, Gimme Shelter, Under My Thumb
Kurt Cobain - All Apologies, SLTS, Come As You Are
Michael Stipe - Losing My Religion, So. Central Rain, Pilgrimage, Gardening at Night
Neil Young - Sugar Mountain, After the Gold Rush, Southern Man

hon. mention: Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, PJ Harvey

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 19
Besides the ones that have been mentioned, Bruce Springsteen is one hell of a story teller.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 19
Tom Waits
Lyle Lovett
Robert Johnson
Robert Smith
J.J. Cale
Joe Jackson
Cole Porter
Irving Berlin
Fats Waller
Thelonious Monk

and others that have been mentioned esp. Strayhorn and Mingus

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 19
Glen Hansard - The Moon
YouTube - Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová - The Moon - The Ballad of Jack and Rose

Thom Yorke - How to Disappear Completely
YouTube - How To Disappear Completely - Unofficial Video - Radiohead

Maynard James Keenan - Stinkfist
YouTube - Tool - Stinkfist

Beck - Guess I'm Doing Fine
YouTube - Beck - Guess I'm Doing Fine

Isaac Brock - Spilled Milk Factory
YouTube - Ugly Casanova - Spilled Milk Factory

E - Going to Your Funeral Part I
YouTube - Going to your funeral Part 1

Wayne Coyne - In the Morning of the Magicians
YouTube - the flaming lips In the Morning of the Magicians

Elliot Smith - Baby Britain
YouTube - Elliott Smith- Baby Britain

PJ Harvey - You Said Something
YouTube - PJ Harvey-You Said Something

Fiona Apple - Sullen Girl
YouTube - Fiona Apple-Sullen Girl

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 19
John Darnielle
Elvis Costello
Bob Dylan
Nick Cave
Tom Waits
Joni Mitchell
Paul McCartney
John Lennon
Will Sheff
Stevie Wonder

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 19
Tom Waits - "Step Right Up", "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)", "Singapore", "Chocolate Jesus", "Goin' Out West". Waits started out with a very classical approach to writing low-down blues songs injected with just the right mix of humor and sadness. Once you get past his gruff persona and songwriting idiosyncracies, you see genius at work.
Leonard Cohen - "So Long, Marianne", "Hallelujah", "First We Take Manhattan", "Don't Go Home with Your Hardon". Cohen has dozens of odd love songs for every occasion, the amount of tail he must have gotten rivals that of any member of a hair metal band.
Nick Cave - "Where the Wild Roses Grow", "As I Sat Sadly by Her Side", "Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow", "The Mercy Seat", "John Finns' Wife". Amazing since Cave's early efforts circa "From Her to Eternity" were juvenile stabs at melodrama. Most of his recent stuff remains melodramatic and indebted to folklore, but the style has been refined to a cool few artists could match.
Lou Reed - "Coney Island Baby", "Walk on the Wild Side", "Vicious", "Heroin". Whatever else you can say about Warhol, the man had taste. I don't think Lou Reed would have developed into such a mature and sardonic songwriter without his early years with the Velvets.
Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) - "Wish You Were Here" has some of the best lyrics of all time, a breakthrough for Waters even after the DSOTM, "Mother", "What God Wants". I don't like his solo stuff as much, starting with "The Final Cut" the writing became a little too pretentious.
Michael Stipe (of R.E.M.) - "Driver 8", "Everybody Hurts", "Lotus", "Man on the Moon".
Cole Porter - "Love for Sale", "Don't Fence Me In", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love". Probably the most intelligent and interesting songwriter of all time.
Serge Gainsbourg - "Je t'aime... moi non plus", "L'hôtel particulier", "Requiem pour un con". At his best moments, Gainsbourg channels passion to create a playful moral bankruptcy that you can't help but stare at with awe.
Britt Daniels (of Spoon) - "The Beast and Dragon, Adored", "I Summon You (Cool)", "The Way We Get By", "Sister Jack". Daniels' songs are indie spirituals done right.
Cedric Bixler-Zavala (of At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta) - "Napoleon Solo", "One-Armed Scissor", the entirety of "Frances the Mute". A lot of people dismiss his work after joining the Mars Volta, calling it dense and incomprehensible. I don't disagree, except that I think emphatic nonsense has a beauty to it that's easy to love once you rid yourself of preconceptions.
Lennon/Mc Cartney (of The Silver Bugs, IIRC) - These songwriters are mandatory, so I won't even count them towards the 10 artist limit.

Honorable mentions go to Trent Reznor, PJ Harvey, Maxi Jazz, Bernie Taupin, Chris Rea, Maynard James Keenan, Marvin Gaye, Thom Yorke, Tom Petty and others.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 19
Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives - love the snide lyrics.
Ray Davies - Low Budget All of his stuff is excellent and a reflection of what is going on at the time. Powerful sense of human condition
Lennon/McCartney - Everything, they could do it all from love ditties to rock with angst (like Helter Skelter, Back In The USSR)
Mark Knopfler - Boom Like That, Once Upon A Time In The West A great storyteller with excellent music/guitar work to back the lyrics
Becker/Fagen - Doctor Wu, Reeling In The Years, Deacon Blues, Don't Take Me Alive - Everything they write is awesome
Leonard Cohen - Bird On A Wire, Closing Time - A bit of a bite in his lyrics make them fun and interesting
Roger Waters - Everything he ever wrote A bitter man with immense talent. How could the world have wrong him so???
John Mellencamp - Scarecrow, Small Town - All American tunes - flag flying music
Jagger/Richards - Gimme Shelter, Beast of Burden - Party boys singing the blues. They are a bit twisted though...
Peter Gabriel - Salisbury Hill, Sledgehammer - the strange imagery combined with intellectual writing makes him one of my favorites

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 19
I agree with most all the posts. Huge Neil Young fan. I own all 80 million of his records and love most of them.
tongue.gif

Hey, I'm as much a Radiohead fan as the next guy, and like my Beatles and Smiths and Porcupine Tree... But, just to play devil's advocate, here are some great tunesmiths that (I'm guessing) probably won't otherwise get mentioned:

Neil Finn
Richard Thompson
Nick Lowe
Townes Van Zandt
Brendan Perry
Jules Shear
Karla Bonoff
Andy Partridge
Bjorn Ulvaeus
Benny Andersson

and, yes, if you were paying attention, those last two listed constitute half of ABBA.
you can now commence the flaming....
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Morrissey : Seasick, yet still docked.
Neil Young : Motion Pictures
Roy Orbison : In Dreams
Johnny Cash : Ring of Fire
David Bowie : Letter to Hermione
Mikael Akerfeldt (of Opeth) : A Fair Judgment
Thom Yorke (of Radiohead) : Nude
Jeff Buckley : Lover, You Should Have Come Over
Bob Dylan : Standing in the Doorway, Ballad of Hollis Brown

Great list. By the way, Ring of Fire was written by his wife, June Carter Cash, before they were married.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back